Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm about to exchange Tbird's rear tire and I'm wondering how wide the rear tire can go without doing any modifications in the stock swing arm and its rear wheel. Has anyone gone further than 200? 210? 220? It is currently 200/55/R14 Metz Marathon ME880. It has done 8,600 miles so far.

In case anyone has gone wider pls let me know how was it, pros and cons to consider.

My Tbird is a Commander, 2014, with all stock suspension parts.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Did some reading on car tires. After much consideration I liked the comment of one magazine writer. "Car tires on a motorcycle are fine but be sure to put motorcycle tires on your bike on days when you want to corner the bike and on days when you will crash."

If your ride has at least 3 wheels, then car tires are fine. If you trailer your bike and use it exclusively to drag race then car tires are probably required on the rear.

My dealer told me not to go wider on my bike as there is not enough room back there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There's a guy on an other forum that's running a 240 rear. Of course he's running different rims ( spokes ) and a few mods to make clearance. I'd stick to the 200.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why would you want to? The Thunderbird handles so well compared to other popular cruisers. You can hunt out and enjoy twisty roads . The Avon Cobras are an excellent tire in stock size. If it’s appearance you want over performance, buy another brand. Lots out there that look cool but ride like crap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts