Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me America fell over breaking the clutch lever and rear indicator, so I got the tail tidy cos it looked good and less vulnerable. Put the rear assembly on, twist joined (don't like Maunds connectors, was goin' to put on spades) the l/h indicators, they worked. Joined the r/h ones and got a hazard light effect. Disconnected them and tried the left ones again: nothing. No horn either tho the fuse was OK. Put spades on all wires including tail light and nothing works. You get a ring connector for the taillight earth which presumably goes on one of the mounting bolts. ( zero instructions from Maund.) Replaced the fuse anyway and got one toot out of the horn before it blew. Replaced the fuse and nothing. Should've been a simple mount and connect. Probably no connection, but I did a stage 1 tune and remap from TTP before starting on the lights. Hope somebody can help, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So me America fell over breaking the clutch lever and rear indicator, so I got the tail tidy cos it looked good and less vulnerable. Put the rear assembly on, twist joined (don't like Maunds connectors, was goin' to put on spades) the l/h indicators, they worked. Joined the r/h ones and got a hazard light effect. Disconnected them and tried the left ones again: nothing. No horn either tho the fuse was OK. Put spades on all wires including tail light and nothing works. You get a ring connector for the taillight earth which presumably goes on one of the mounting bolts. ( zero instructions from Maund.) Replaced the fuse anyway and got one toot out of the horn before it blew. Replaced the fuse and nothing. Should've been a simple mount and connect. Probably no connection, but I did a stage 1 tune and remap from TTP before starting on the lights. Hope somebody can help, thanks.
Problem solved! The wiring out of the tail tidy was backwards, meaning I had to connect live to earth instead of live to live. Never come across this before...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Always read the instructions and look at any included diagrams. Then when things don't go as expected, test and verify the wiring for yourself ;)
Have had similar issues with items over the years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always read the instructions and look at any included diagrams. Then when things don't go as expected, test and verify the wiring for yourself ;)
Have had similar issues with items over the years.
Absolutely agree, except there were zero instructions or diagrams. The taillight was the same: instead of red to red and black to black it was red to black. I'm expecting the front indicators to be the same....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the front indicators were reverse wired as I thought. Also pretty obvious that nobody at Maunds has fitted them to an '11 up America, otherwise there would have been 4 spacers in the kit: 2 to bring the mounting bracket forward so the back of the indicators clear the forks, and another 2 to push the indicators out so the wiring cover fits. However, they're on and look good, so that's the main thing. Just a pity that instead of about a two hour plug 'n' play job it turned into a two weekend epic, mainly by having to run to town to buy things I shouldn't have needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts