Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can also get a different color helmet and just get one with a red trim. It'll be harder to notice any difference in shade that way.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
haha the whole subject is so vain and self indulgent that it's not worth serious discussion. so why not have some fun with it. 0:)
Now you're just being harsh mate.
It's 2017 and we're discussing "cafe racers". Let's be honest with ourselves, 90% of it is about style.

·
Registered
576 Posts
**** this place is cancer sometimes. Guy asks a simple question, and instead of getting a simple answer gets a bunch of lectures from the hi-viz brigade.
Well Mike, this post was a lot of fun until... Most of us weren't criticizing @draganb. We were just fooling around and even mocking ourselves - just read my post.

Anyway, regarding painting a helmet, it is basically forbidden around most of the EU for "safety reasons" so you may have an issue with your insurance. Something about fragilizing the helmets structure. I would suggest having it done by a certified expert with adapted paint.

However, if you want a good open helmet that comes in a wide variety of shades: go with Davida https://www.davida-helmets.com. They can even have the paint custom made to your specs. I ordered one a while back and I must admit that the quality of both the service and the helmets is simply unparalleled.

It's 2017 and we're discussing "cafe racers". Let's be honest with ourselves, 90% of it is about style.
Don't mind @flynbulldog, he's just longing for a good ride.
However: "90% about style"!? No my friend, you got it turned around: it's 90% about riding! Trust me, I've been riding through this long ass winter dressed oversize and weather proof looking like an Afghan woman wearing a Burka... no style just fun.

·
Registered
634 Posts
haha the whole subject is so vain and self indulgent that it's not worth serious discussion. so why not have some fun with it.
I wouldn't stress too much dragonb. I guess the name comes from the cartoon? If so, a lot of us are older than you. Different generation. Mine would have to be batfink, haha.
As far as the " cafe racer" term mine is more of "pub cart" to blat around on, touring the country side and wringing its neck in and out of corners as if I actually known what I'm doing.
I think you got some good advice, in getting a full face helmet. Besides not only will it look cool in red, you'll create some mistery about your self, isn't that cooler?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Anyway, regarding painting a helmet, it is basically forbidden around most of the EU for "safety reasons" so you may have an issue with your insurance. Something about fragilizing the helmets structure. I would suggest having it done by a certified expert with adapted paint.

However, if you want a good open helmet that comes in a wide variety of shades: go with Davida https://www.davida-helmets.com. They can even have the paint custom made to your specs. I ordered one a while back and I must admit that the quality of both the service and the helmets is simply unparalleled.

Don't mind @flynbulldog, he's just longing for a good ride.
However: "90% about style"!? No my friend, you got it turned around: it's 90% about riding! Trust me, I've been riding through this long ass winter dressed oversize and weather proof looking like an Afghan woman wearing a Burka... no style just fun.
Haha, I know what you mean. I have a winter riding jacket that looks like it came of a russian cold war era astronaut.
I didn't care much about style on my previous bike (aprilia shiver), but on a beautiful machine like the thruxton, I feel it would be a shame not to put some effort in the aesthetics of my gear.

I'm not too keen on painting the helmet and, as you pointed out, I don't need reasons to get into any legal trouble.

The davida lids look gorgeous, i'll make sure to check them out next time I'm in londond. Thanks for the recommendation

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wouldn't stress too much dragonb. I guess the name comes from the cartoon? If so, a lot of us are older than you. Different generation. Mine would have to be batfink, haha.
As far as the " cafe racer" term mine is more of "pub cart" to blat around on, touring the country side and wringing its neck in and out of corners as if I actually known what I'm doing.
I think you got some good advice, in getting a full face helmet. Besides not only will it look cool in red, you'll create some mistery about your self, isn't that cooler?
Don't worry, I didn't take it personally. I used to make the exact same jokes with my friend who got me into retro bikes in the first place. I sold my aprilia shiver last year and was on the verge of getting a used ducati sf 848, when he persuaded my to test ride a thruxton r. You can guess how that ended... :)

The username is actually my first name (dragan) and the first letter of the last name (b). Not very creative in that department :D

I failed to mention (didn't really think it was important for the subject) I already have two full face helmets, a nolan n85 and a nexx xr.1r
Since I ride every day to work, and it gets really hot in Zagreb over summer (think 35*C in the shade, so around 40 on tarmac) I was thinking of going open face to avoid sweaty helmet head on really hot days

·
Registered
576 Posts
Haha, I know what you mean. I have a winter riding jacket that looks like it came of a russian cold war era astronaut.
I didn't care much about style on my previous bike (aprilia shiver), but on a beautiful machine like the thruxton, I feel it would be a shame not to put some effort in the aesthetics of my gear.
I'm not too keen on painting the helmet and, as you pointed out, I don't need reasons to get into any legal trouble.
The davida lids look gorgeous, i'll make sure to check them out next time I'm in londond. Thanks for the recommendation
I definitely agree that the Thruxton deserves an effort on behalf of its pilot. Some of us on the forum are just getting impatient and wishing for "Better dayz" (RIP 2pac).

By the way, you needn't go to London for the helmet. Davida ships worldwide.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
A bit of a risk ordering a helmet without trying on first, especially for his distance. I've read that Davida helmets run a bit oval in terms of head shape. Is this true?

·
Registered
576 Posts
A bit of a risk ordering a helmet without trying on first, especially for his distance. I've read that Davida helmets run a bit oval in terms of head shape. Is this true?
You make a good point. However, Davida retailers are numerous throughout the world. So you can always try one on before ordering it custom painted online.

I wouldn't say they are oval but they do close on to your cheeks for a tight but very comfortable fit. The only issue is that they don't make full face helmets but that has been discussed already 0:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hedon are a small company, and they offer various custom options. I suspect that you could talk them into matching the Thruxton paint code.

If you're attached to your chin, they've got a full face model.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I know you're looking at open face, but if I was going to do a novelty retro lid, I would look at the Nexx one posted earlier or the new Biltwell Lane Splitter. It comes in red but I don't know if it is a match. Would make a decent summer helmet maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Paint the one you have. With eyes on the back for Maggie season.
OK, I give up...please translate this reference into old-guy speak!

:geezer

·
Registered
523 Posts
Painting a helmet is absolutely fine, my mate is runs a helmet painting service along with his regular classic car and bike spray business so I know it's legit. The old rumour that you couldn't paint helmets comes from the days when solvent rattle cans would attack the gel coat on fibreglass lids.

My advice as the owner of about 7 helmets at the moment and probably 3 dozen over my riding career would be to buy one that fits and offers all the features you want then get it painted. I have a Davida 92 and Bell Bullitt and to be honest I still reach for my Arai more often than not. Proof is below to prove I'm no t'internet bullsh*tter. Davidas don't run that oval, they are made to be a bastard to get on and feel tight around the ears (helps keep it on at speed and with wind noise)

Style is subjective but I've never liked matching a helmet to a bike. Match it to the rest of your riding gear, far more practical.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
What they said.

P.S. Google, google, google.
I did try the Google machine prior to my post...all I got were obscure references to Maggie in The Walking Dead...leaving me to envision some form of zombie wearing a helmet with eyes on back...?!?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could anyone help identify the helmet?

Sorry to go off topic. I needed help in identifying the brand of helmet the rider is wearing (pic attached). Btw, this was on the official facebook page.
Many thanks in advance :smile2:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
It's one of those Vozz Auzzie helmets that are like a back to front flip front eg the back hinges up, you stick your mush into the front then close the back down. Bleddy daft idea if you ask me, a normal flip front, you can flip up, have a coffee, eat a pie & chat to your chums. This daft thing is for folks to talk out the back of their heads.

http://www.visordown.com/news/general/could-this-hinged-helmet-revolutionise-lid-design

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's one of those Vozz Auzzie helmets that are like a back to front flip front eg the back hinges up, you stick your mush into the front then close the back down. Bleddy daft idea if you ask me, a normal flip front, you can flip up, have a coffee, eat a pie & chat to your chums. This daft thing is for folks to talk out the back of their heads.

http://www.visordown.com/news/general/could-this-hinged-helmet-revolutionise-lid-design
Thanks Paul49. I went on their website and was surprised to discover this helmet doesn't require a chin strap! Retailing at AUD888 that's very very expensive. I am not a fan of the opening-at-the-back design too

21 - 40 of 47 Posts