Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
That being said, braided steel brake hoses are one of the mods I plan on adding in due course. And due to my lack of knowledge/confidence that would be something I would get the guys ag my local motorcycle garage to do for me. They are a local business with a grwsg reputation and charge ridiculously low prices (sometimes they will do quick and simple things for free).
Yeah mucking around with hydraulic brakes can be a bit daunting if you've never done it before but there's no harm in giving it a go if you feel up to it. There's loads of info on the net and I'm sure plenty of members here will give you good advice.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
The OEM hose is braided. You don't need to replace it unless you have another reason to do so.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
T100 M/cylinder is cast with the reservoir, 7/8'' items are separate so nicer looking reservoirs are available but are similar shape to your original. As Balto. notes, all front brake hoses are braided from the factory, they are coated with rubber which disguises the fact somewhat.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah mucking around with hydraulic brakes can be a bit daunting if you've never done it before but there's no harm in giving it a go if you feel up to it. There's loads of info on the net and I'm sure plenty of members here will give you good advice.
The thing is, if I start a job and get stuck, then my bike will be out of commission until I can the issue resolved. It is my main modd of transport, so really can't afford to have it out of commission for any period of time.

But I don't mind taking it to my local mechanic and supporting a small business.

The OEM hose is braided. You don't need to replace it unless you have another reason to do so.
I didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
T100 M/cylinder is cast with the reservoir, 7/8'' items are separate so nicer looking reservoirs are available but are similar shape to your original. As Balto. notes, all front brake hoses are braided from the factory, they are coated with rubber which disguises the fact somewhat.
I was hoping to just be able to swap the T100 m/cylinder over. But as stated earlier in the thread, it wouldn't fit on the 7/8 bar I have. Good thing I had a plan B.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The thing is, if I start a job and get stuck, then my bike will be out of commission until I can the issue resolved. It is my main modd of transport, so really can't afford to have it out of commission for any period of time.
It's not the sort of job you want to be doing on the side of the road any way, things can go tit's up pretty quickly doing something like that.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was hoping to just be able to swap the T100 m/cylinder over. But as stated earlier in the thread, it wouldn't fit on the 7/8 bar I have. Good thing I had a plan B.
If as you say you are a newbie I would advise you to either start with simpler jobs or leave it to the mechanic. As I found out when I wanted to do the same some years ago, there are other things you are not taking into consideration.

There are two types of master cylinder on these bikes, integrated - meaning that the reservoir and master cylinder are a single part, and remote reservoir, where the piss cup is mounted separately and links to the master cylinder/lever assembly via a tube. Trying to swap one type for the other is fraught with problems, such as mirror mounting and other parts no longer fitting or hitting one another. One problem leads to another and in the end you find yourself needing to replace the whole handlebar assembly. This is a job that looks very simple and easy until you try it, then it will throw you one curve ball after another.

Another word of caution - at one time I had one of those BC billet reservoirs and found out not long after, the tube linking the cup to the lever assembly had been slowly leaking and dripped onto the tank. Turns out that I had used the wrong type of tube and fluid had weeped through it like a sponge soaks up water. Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper and you don't want it to get on other parts, painted or not. The OEM piss cup may be ugly but it sure works better.

Also, because you are at novice level, before doing any brake bleeding, have a read up on fluids. Get to know the difference, for example, between DOT4 and DOT5 and know beforehand what you are buying.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It's not the sort of job you want to be doing on the side of the road any way, things can go tit's up pretty quickly doing something like that.
Any time I do a new mod, I always do them at home. Usually at the weekend once the order has arrived through the post. I would never do any mods or adjustment while I'm out riding (unless I broke down). But, that's the reason why I only do simple jobs myself and get more complicated jobs done by my local mechanic; so I don't break down while it riding. I'm safe in the knowledge that the new mod has been installed properly, so I can just enjoy the ride.

Another word of caution - at one time I had one of those BC billet reservoirs and found out not long after, the tube linking the cup to the lever assembly had been slowly leaking and dripped onto the tank. Turns out that I had used the wrong type of tube and fluid had weeped through it like a sponge soaks up water. Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper and you don't want it to get on other parts, painted or not. The OEM piss cup may be ugly but it sure works better.
Did you discover why the leak had occurred? Was it a manufacturing defect or an improper install?

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Did you discover why the leak had occurred? Was it a manufacturing defect or an improper install?
I did discover the reason for the leak and it was my fault entirely. I used rubber fuel hose, not knowing that brake fluid slowly dissolves it. It wasn't a leak as such, the fluid came through the hose wall, as if it were made of foam. I should have used EPDM hose instead which is used for many other applications as well as brake hose. The point to this story was to advise you to do very thorough homework before embarking on any project.

Don't know if you've seen them, but some places are selling really cool looking reservoirs that are nothing more than a piece of clear tube. They hold about 10ml of fluid and have colourful caps. How cool is that!! Well, not very cool at all really, when you consider that playing around with braking systems risks accidents or even lives. If you haven't fallen asleep I'll explain.

If you take off your reservoir cap you will find a big rubber (EPDM) seal inside the lid. Just a seal? No.. its not shaped like it is for fun. As you brake, fluid leaves the reservoir and goes into the system to operate the pads. That means as the fluid level in the reservoir goes down, air has to enter to take up the volume - in other words you get a vacuum on top of the fluid. But - we can't have air coming into contact with the fluid, because air contaminates fluid. So we have the cap seal, which, being shaped like a concertina, forms a flexible barrier between the fluid and outside air - the air enters openings in the cap (if you can't find these, take a look at the cap thread, you will see 3 or 4 slots where the thread is missing) and fills the void, as the seal is drawn down by the fluid. Release the brake and the fluid level rises back up, and the air is expelled through the thread slots.

Now my point about these super cool bits of tubing is, they have a colourful plastic plug in the end, no flexible seal and no way for air to enter when the brake is applied. So if no air enters, the fluid does not enter the system - like filling a drinking straw and holding your finger over the end and that will make your brake as useful as t1ts on a fish.

Hey! Wake up!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the info Ripper, but I think I'll stick with the BC reservoir when the time comes. So many other things I need to do before I get to this though. Nice to have options though.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
t1ts on a fish, that reminds of a bird I used to shag o_O
One day God was walking in the garden of Eden, when he came upon Adam, sitting on a rock and looking very lonely.

"Where is Eve?" inquired God.
"Well" said Adam, "every few weeks she begins to bleed, so she has gone down to the river to bathe".
"Oh noooo!" said God. "How will I ever get the smell out of the fish?"

Reactions: cheerfulljerry
21 - 34 of 34 Posts