1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Good. They also will to start licensing and insuring them. I hope NC does something similar in the future.

I'm sick of having all these liquor-sickle idiots who buy 150cc and above Chinese scooters and ride them with no working lights, registration or insurance. It's not like these scooters are like Honda Metros or Ruckus, these things will go 65 mph or above, yet don't have to abide by any of the same laws as motorcyclist or even bicyclists.

·
Registered
147 Posts
We've had a law that requires anyone under 16 to wear a bicycle helmet, but adults are exempt. Mopeds/Scooters have been exempt from registration, insurance and helmet requirements. That all changes October 1st. I guess I don't care all that much - they aren't all that popular out here in the sticks. The urban police departments will probably rake in a bit of cash writing tickets for a while.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I work in Baltimore, MD and I think the new law is great.

People that have lost their licenses ride these things around like maniacs. No helmet or eye protection. Don't follow traffic rules. They have fake labels saying they're 50cc scooters when they are bigger and have no insurance.

I can't wait for October 1st.

·
Banned
390 Posts
I ride through westmonster on 140 during worktime coomuting hours. I occasionally see those little things trying to ride through that hell and I think there balls are MUCH bigger then mine! Lol more power to them,a helmet won't save them riding in that hell.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well dammit! Here I was gonna move to Maryland and ride a moped just because I gots a need for my noggin to be in the wind on my moped.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We've had a law that requires anyone under 16 to wear a bicycle helmet, but adults are exempt. Mopeds/Scooters have been exempt from registration, insurance and helmet requirements.
Same here in Indiana. Usually the only people that ride them here are the people that have lost their license due to drunk driving. Kinda scary!

·
Banned
390 Posts
Well dammit! Here I was gonna move to Maryland and ride a moped just because I gots a need for my noggin to be in the wind on my moped.
Move to pa for that on your real bike! We don't need no stinking helmets here in pennsiltucky!! I'm always chuckling at all the rules they have down in the pe9ple republic of maryland,lmao.

H

·
0 Posts
Looks as if Maryland has found another way to balance their bloated budgets. Tax the moped riders as they are not strong enough to raise a ruckus and or cost the bureaucrats any votes.

Next we will see the Maryland bureaucrats tax and license kids trikes and pull wagons. Way to young to vote and the bureaucrats will be living on the huge pension long before the kids age enough to vote.

Notice they don't force bike riders to wear eye protection or have a license. It is the hip thing for bureaucrats to ride bikes. Green you know.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
That's it, I'm moving to the island of Junistan.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Too many haters of the little mops if you ask me. Why begrudge them there little thrill of it. Certainly is no skin off our nose,not mine anyway. How does it affect us as a group,there not looked upon as real motorcyclists,most of them are old people on a tight budget to begin with and the thing is a cheap way to get around. Dangerous in a high speed environment but no issue anywhere else. Im glad I live in pa,Md is always lookin for a way to stick the subjects,,,,err I mean citizens. I work there but I wont drop a single penny in there coffers or economy. Bad enough they do crap like that but then to hear common folk stand up and say "good on em" for doing it is a bit sickening.

·
Banned
390 Posts
And the problem is...?
They didn't have to wear them before that's the problem. No problem then should mean no problem now. Its just another guv intervention into someones pocketbook.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maryland is affectionately know as "Absurdistan." Junistan sounds like a much better place.

We do have a few scooters around here - the one I see most often is ridden by what appears to be a hard core harley guy, if you buy into the stereotype. Always makes me think maybe his old lady got the real bike in the divorce or something.

Duncan - your route to/from the 'burg takes you within about half mile of my house - if you ever need a place to wait out a rainstorm or anything.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
They didn't have to wear them before that's the problem. No problem then should mean no problem now. Its just another guv intervention into someones pocketbook.
If you got into an accident with a scooter rider, lots of which seem to ride like total a**holes supporting the theory that they are ridden by people who already have LOST their right to drive or ride, and they splatter their head and it becomes YOUR liability, you would wish they had on a helmet. I can appreciate your libertarian view, and I'm not really opposed to culling the gene pool, but traumatic brain injuries are really costly to us all.

BTW, I'm not seeing how this entails the government getting into your pocketbook. Buy helmet, stimulate economy, save money on traumatic brain injury. Sounds like mostly a win.

·
Banned
390 Posts
If you got into an accident with a scooter rider, lots of which seem to ride like total a**holes supporting the theory that they are ridden by people who already have LOST their right to drive or ride, and they splatter their head and it becomes YOUR liability, you would wish they had on a helmet. I can appreciate your libertarian view, and I'm not really opposed to culling the gene pool, but traumatic brain injuries are really costly to us all.

BTW, I'm not seeing how this entails the government getting into your pocketbook. Buy helmet, stimulate economy, save money on traumatic brain injury. Sounds like mostly a win.
Your making assumptions that "most" of them lost there liscense. Using the logic that they drive like aholes so they must have already lost there liscense I could assume that 75% of the people I saw on the road this am were driving illegally. The guv doing this crap has nothing to9 do with saving lives but everthing to do with getting the mops to pay in for the registrations among other things. If you really think the guv does anything for the peoples well being then your being naive.

H

·
0 Posts
I guess I misread the op post. I thought the requirement was for a helmet, eye wear and a LICENSE. That spells money in the bank for bureaucrats. Annual, every year, annuity, interest on your money. Sorry I missed read that part.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts