Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Holy crap. that pic must have been taken with the engine out of the bike. LOL.

I see them now and they look like the ones in the picture. Are these the new ones?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Holy crap. that pic must have been taken with the engine out of the bike. LOL.

I see them now and they look like the ones in the picture. Are these the new ones?
No, they're the old ones.

·
Registered
590 Posts
It's not a real problem as long as your aware, I had no issues with mine for 12,000 miles, until I had the big service, the must of removed them and they didn't re seat properly as they only push on, a little dab of silicone and no problem since..

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have almost 11,000km on my bike and yet to have an issue with my map tubes, BUT as soon as I started reading about others having issues I put a small zip tie on each...bingo bango, no issues

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK so I have the definitive and cheap solution for the map tube ( misfire ) problem
I have a 2018 Thunderbird Storm...and yes...the rubber fittings were split
Still under warranty...but quicker and easier to fix it myself...having read all the threads on the subject
About £12.00 and less than half an hour this morning

Buy a length of Silicone Vacuum pipe 4mm internal diameter ( E-bay )
( pick any color you like...I went with purple )
The silicone pipe is designed for heated working environments and does much better than the old rubber fittings
Buy a few self clamping wire fuel pipe clips outside diameter of 7mm ( E-bay )
( single wire type and not double...the doubles are a bit too strong and stiff to do the job )

The silicon pipe settles down and 'sticks' to the male barbs and plastic tubes...the wire clips give it enough pressure to create a good seal...the genius of the idea is not to worry about buying 'rubber elbows' or any other Triumph parts...but simply allow the silicon pipe to bend in a comfortable fit onto the male barbs both under the tank...and on each of the injectors

Cut the pipe into 4 * 50mm lengths to 'invent' the four female fittings you need
( the pipe has to bend 90 degrees under the tank )

Tip:
Push your new silicon fittings you have just invented onto the two plastic pipes
( one for each injector )
Before you attempt the barbs under the tank

Tip:
Its a bit fiddly to get at the barbs under the tank...so...push the clips onto the new silicone female fittings you have just invented...before you push them onto the male barbs under the tank...put the clips roughly where you think they will sit half way down the barb...they will ease nicely into place ( use a long screwdriver to move things around a bit if you need to )
You get a comfortable tight seal once everything is pressed into place

Thats it
Regards Jim ( Reading UK )

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im with Primer pump. I used rubber lines from Napa...3 sixteenths l believe. Havent had a problem since.
The stock design is weak and over complicated. 2 years, no problems, no waiting for parts

·
Registered
365 Posts
OK so I have the definitive and cheap solution for the map tube ( misfire ) problem
I have a 2018 Thunderbird Storm...and yes...the rubber fittings were split
Still under warranty...but quicker and easier to fix it myself...having read all the threads on the subject
About £12.00 and less than half an hour this morning

Buy a length of Silicone Vacuum pipe 4mm internal diameter ( E-bay )
( pick any color you like...I went with purple )
The silicone pipe is designed for heated working environments and does much better than the old rubber fittings
Buy a few self clamping wire fuel pipe clips outside diameter of 7mm ( E-bay )
( single wire type and not double...the doubles are a bit too strong and stiff to do the job )

The silicon pipe settles down and 'sticks' to the male barbs and plastic tubes...the wire clips give it enough pressure to create a good seal...the genius of the idea is not to worry about buying 'rubber elbows' or any other Triumph parts...but simply allow the silicon pipe to bend in a comfortable fit onto the male barbs both under the tank...and on each of the injectors

Cut the pipe into 4 * 50mm lengths to 'invent' the four female fittings you need
( the pipe has to bend 90 degrees under the tank )

Tip:
Push your new silicon fittings you have just invented onto the two plastic pipes
( one for each injector )
Before you attempt the barbs under the tank

Tip:
Its a bit fiddly to get at the barbs under the tank...so...push the clips onto the new silicone female fittings you have just invented...before you push them onto the male barbs under the tank...put the clips roughly where you think they will sit half way down the barb...they will ease nicely into place ( use a long screwdriver to move things around a bit if you need to )
You get a comfortable tight seal once everything is pressed into place

Thats it
Regards Jim ( Reading UK )
Not sure thats a good idea. The reason they use hard plastic is the vaccum pressue in the pipes would collapse anything soft like silicone. Just a thought...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes that is correct Torquebird...well spotted...I realised after I posted that I had not made that point clear...leave the hard plastic tubes in place and use the silicone pipe for the actual connections at each end...works a treat...the silicone is ( according to the Interwebs ) better able to withstand hot operating environments...and the short connectors are not long enough to collapse under vacuum pressure

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you guys saying you keep the hard plastic tube and replace the rubber elbows because they split, and leak, and fall off if they aren't zip tied or glued? Do you also replace the connectors under the tank? It's made out of the same crappy rubber and it connects the hard plastic tube that is actually 2 pieces each.
The best way to do it is with single pieces, equal length, and clamped at the sensors and TB's. 4 connections= 4 possible places to leak. Triumph tubes are each in 5 pieces. That's 12 possible leaks. A small pin hole leak can effect low RPM throttle response.
I used 1/4" plastic fuel line for small engines. Buy 4 feet from an auto parts store or a roll from Home Depot. It's flexible hard plastic tubing. The vacuum is pulsed and not strong enough to collapse most tubing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes exactly so Jacknife
My 'hard plastic tubes' are in one full length...and replace the 'elbow's' with something more better...my silicone suggestion does the job for me...but anything that simplifies the set up is good...its a minor repair for a deeply frustrating misfire problem...that is tricky to track down...so thanks to everyone above for helping me find and fix it
Regards
The Original Jimster :)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts