Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to ride my 02 Daytona after having some new rings put into it. I also had some light port work done on the head and throttle bodies. I have a wide band air/fuel gauge installed and it's showing the motor is very lean. 18:1 once it gets warmed up. And even when I just start it, it's already at 15:1. These reading stay the same at idle and revving in neutral. I have checked all three cylinders and they're the same readings roughly.
I'm guessing the port work is making it run lean. The air filter will be a standard K&N and the muffler will be a straight through DanMoto.
Does anyone have an existing map that would work for my situation? If not, what would y'all recommend for adjusting an existing map to get me to a safe level? Increase fuel 5 or 10% for the entire map?

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
Do you have the stock O2 sensor still n play?
i.e. is it connected, checked as being in use and the A/F map is set between 14.5 - 14.7 in the low-rpm/TPS range?
If you do, I would be suspecting your wide-band is off since it should definitely be pulling it to mid 14's when in closed loop at idle, once its up to full operating temp, regardless of what the map is trying to set it to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been a while, but I think the O2 is turned off. I'll go back and turn it to "on".
Is there a tune you could recommend as a starting point?
I should have titled the post as looking for a tune. Not a map.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess your right, it's good to confirm the wide band is reading right. I know the motor is getting hot pretty fast. So I used that as my secondary gauge that it was running lean.

I'm not quite comfortable with tuning it. Iv made small changes to smooth spots in the curve before. But Iv never had to make big changes like this. Getting the laptop tonight so I can start tuning it. I am a weirdo and don't own a computer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about the idle? Should I try to correct the A/F reading at idle first or get the general tune to normal level?

·
Super Moderator
22,194 Posts
I would do your wide-band check first, before you do anything
Then of course you make the adjustments to idle region first
But you will need TPS data in order to tune the rest of the map, otherwise you will just be guessing at throttle position (although you can probably make some intuitive guesses)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give it a shot this weekend. And see if I can post some videos of my results.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I loaded the "Smooth" map. It's still pinging the gauge to max. I adjusted the Idle Fuel Trim incrementally from 0 to 10.9. It got it idling closer to 15:1, until it got above 190F. Then it was back to 18:1.
I'm having trouble getting my laptop to show F-Trim in %. I adjusted the entire F-Trim map from 0 to 5. But with it idling so lean, I have yet to ride it. I "Committed" those trims. Was that the right thing to do? When adjusting the Idle Fuel Trim, is that saving to the ECU as I adjust it? I have been saving the map and downloading it to the ECU each time.
Advice?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decosse, you know what helps the idle A/F run much more true and not lean? Plugging in the damn Idle Stepper Motor. She sounds mean and nasty now.https://vimeo.com/173721909

1 - 11 of 11 Posts