Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Suzuki and Yamaha shop closed in my town. The next town south lost a Yamaha shop. A town north of me had a shop that had MV Agusta, Triumph, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki,Yamaha and Husky only has Honda now. Times are hard. If you have the $ you should be able to get a hot deal. Do you know of shops closing in your area? Please let us know. I think I'll take some day rides to different towns to see if the bike shops are still open.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's happening in California too. Tough times indeed.

I wish more people considered motorcycles are their primary source of transport. In Europe and other countries, they pay $6 or $8 a gallon. Maybe that's why they have cool new models we don't have here.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
It's happening in California too. Tough times indeed.

I wish more people considered motorcycles are their primary source of transport. In Europe and other countries, they pay $6 or $8 a gallon. Maybe that's why they have cool new models we don't have here.
A lot of countries do but in order for it to be viable, the bikes need to be small 125cc things or scooters. My wife drives a Kia Rio, It cost $3,000 less to buy, than my Speed triple, gets better mpg, a major service costs $150 compared to $800 fro the Speedy and the tyres cost $110 each and last 50,000 km`s, compared to a pilot power rear which costs $275 and lasts for 6000 km`s. I haven`t even included things like chains, brake pads, etc

Including depreciation, it costs considerably less per mile to run the car, than the Speedy, over a year. If you extend that to 2, 3, 5 years, the car gets cheaper still, so proper bikes will never be a viable alternative, for someone looking to save money.

Bikes like this are an indulgence and sadly, these are the first things to go when times get tough. Good time to buy a secondhand bike though, if you have spare cash.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Spot on Rob. My bikes have been cheaper to run than cars solely because I compare to med/large cars and I pay less in parking.

However while I try for good economy in commuting, that's not the reason I bought a bike.... it's because I'm an old fart who looks younger when he's melon's hidden in a helmet.... no no, really it's because I love to ride!:D

Russ

·
Registered
458 Posts
ya...that was spot on. I added up my expenses on the Speedy. My sister's good Honda Civic would have been cheaper and more practical to buy.

But then again, her Civic or her Rio won't do 0-60 in 4 seconds either.

·
Registered
458 Posts
...speaking of tires. I bought a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. I have been told they go a long time. They feel great. Almost like a qualifier. It's hard for me to tell them apart. I am told 8k miles on a set?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Motorcycle sales here seem to be holding steady if not rising. Scooter sales are endless.

$275 for a rear Pilot Power.:eek: That's financial rape.

I pay $155 at the local shop, and it's $17 for an install.

edit: $110 each for kia rio tires is also robbery. you should be able to get a solid 14"-15" all season for $60 a tire I know it's just an example but wow!

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
Motorcycle sales here seem to be holding steady if not rising. Scooter sales are endless.

$275 for a rear Pilot Power.:eek: That's financial rape.

I pay $155 at the local shop, and it's $17 for an install.

edit: $110 each for kia rio tires is also robbery. you should be able to get a solid 14"-15" all season for $60 a tire I know it's just an example but wow!

No worries, you didn`t notice that I live in Australia. Everytime we buy something here, it`s 'bend over and bite the pillow' time. A new Speedy costs about $17,500- $18,000 incl on road costs.

:(

The compensations are great weather and comfortable all year round riding.

:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
We lost a couple motorcycle dealers around my area but good riddance. I've never had a good experience from a local shop.

They NEVER carry the gear i want, in my size (common size, too). Theyre overpriced, generally rude, and theyre only open when I'm at work.
Dealers attract a sort of salesman that just bothers me. It doesnt matter that you came in looking for an SV650, they wanna sell you that GS500F that they cant get rid of.

The internet made them obsolete. Oh well. Yeah, it's nice to have someone who can do repairs that you have never done before...but you could learn online and save a **** ton while youre at it.

Need tires put on? I posted a thread in two forums and got 20 people willing to mount and balance my tires scratch free for about a quarter of what a dealer would charge.

The benefits of having a local shop is that they might have your parts in stock so that you dont have to wait 5 days to resume your trip. Well, I have NEVER had an instance where even a common part like a clutch cable was in stock...and this was a HUGE shop.
You could go home, order from bikebandit or ronayers, and it'd be the exact same thing.

The only reason to shop at a local dealer is to do so out of pity or charity.
**** that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
local triumph dealer wants $45 for tire change if I buy it through them, $65 otherwise.
This is them pulling the rim, install tire, balance, reinstall on bike.

Sounds little loco to me. Especially since the PP's are $180 through them.

At this rate, No-Mar machine would pay for itself in about 2 seasons. :cool:

·
Registered
587 Posts
No worries, you didn`t notice that I live in Australia. Everytime we buy something here, it`s 'bend over and bite the pillow' time. A new Speedy costs about $17,500- $18,000 incl on road costs.

:(

The compensations are great weather and comfortable all year round riding.

:)
and you guys have the best women:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
You cannot save money when you ride for everyday use bikes like ours.
You save money and time when you ride scooters that have everything cheap on them. Good mpg, cheap tyres that last and style of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts