Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just out of curiosity (and some sarcasm), if I had a pdf format manual along for the trip which would be the prefered viewing venue, the 10 lb laptop computer or the integrated LCD speedo/tach/GPS/mp3 player/pdf reader display mounted on the triple tree?
Give me a book anytime, dogeared pages excite me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
used bike with no books

I just purchased a 06 sprint, 5100 miles. love it so far, cant figure out the trip computor, would love to know the maint needs, and the nearest triumph dealer is hours away. I would love to get the information, just an owners manual, not a shop manual. I called the dealer and they want $50.00 plus shipping for a generic book, told it wont have much info. I just need how to use the trip computor and the recommended maint, intervals. I have a hard time believing this information needs to be protected by triumph, if so mayb I bought the wrong bike.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the forum Harv:)

You will find we have all of that info on this website except a manual

In the blog section you will find a tech (main web page left hand side bar)section where there is a Sprint maintenance schedule posted by oldndumb one of our very helpful members.

Other answers are here in the "maintenance tips and tricks" subforum.

You will find our search function helpful if you persist with it and have some patience.

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies.:)

Enjoy......
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Manual for a 2000 955i Sprint

New to this and also have a new(Used) Triumph that I can not get enough of. Bought a 2000 Sprint with only 3400 miles on it. Has been garaged due to previous owners having cancer. I have been riding it since November 08 and love the bike, but only have experience riding an old Honda 550K in college for a few years. Any suggestions for a manual for a new Triumph owner who wants to treat his bike well, but is new to the game. Which manual would any of you suggest.

·
Registered
258 Posts
prtaves, IT's been my experience that it is best to spend the extra dough and get the factory service manual for any machine that you own. I've owned several third party manuals over the years and have found that they are not nearly as detailed as the genuine service manual. You can order a manual from a Triumph dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Parts Manual 02 Sprint

Hi and welcome to the forum Harv:)

You will find we have all of that info on this website except a manual

In the blog section you will find a tech (main web page left hand side bar)section where there is a Sprint maintenance schedule posted by oldndumb one of our very helpful members.

Other answers are here in the "maintenance tips and tricks" subforum.

You will find our search function helpful if you persist with it and have some patience.

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies.:)

Enjoy......
Hi Dave and all,

Looking around for a site that has Triumph parts diagrams with the Triumph parts numbers. (Like Max BMW has).
This makes it a lot easier to purchase the correct parts instead of resorting to trying to explain what you need to a parts person on the phone and then getting yet another part that isn't right; adding it to the growing collection on the shelf of stuff you'll never use.
Max BMW has a very usable site for those needing to know the parts numbers for their BMW project needs.
Is there anyone out there like this for the new Hinkley Triumph people?

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
955Sprintaholic

Hi Dave and all,

Looking around for a site that has Triumph parts diagrams with the Triumph parts numbers. (Like Max BMW has).
This makes it a lot easier to purchase the correct parts instead of resorting to trying to explain what you need to a parts person on the phone and then getting yet another part that isn't right; adding it to the growing collection on the shelf of stuff you'll never use.
Max BMW has a very usable site for those needing to know the parts numbers for their BMW project needs.
Is there anyone out there like this for the new Hinkley Triumph people?
I believe this website has the exploded views etc:

http://www.bikebandit.com/

We have our own parts number threads here:

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/31199-sprint-st-aftermarket-part-numbers-2nd-try.html

and here;

http://www.triumphrat.net/blogs/triumph-technical-data-2/sprint-st-aftermarket-part-numbers-31/

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Shop Manual on PDF

I agree whole heartedly!!!

I alway take my Laptop with me, and having the PDF file will allow a more compact way to reference the pages.
I will still buy the book for home use. If both publications had similar order, referencing the PDF file on a mobile device will be quick and simple if you are used to the book.
In fact, you could probably take the book appart and PDF it page by page :)rolleyes:)...

cheers,

K

·
Registered
78 Posts
PDF is great. I have had PDF manuals for other machines in the past and it makes it so much easier being able to search the entire document for a word or group of words through the find function on the computer, rather than having to read section after section. Also makes it easier for those of us with poor eyesight to be able to zoom in closer on the wiring diagrams etc without the need for a magnifying glass.
The biggest advantage is knowing that I don't need to carry the manual with me anywhere. If I'm away for the week and something happens, the missus can e-mail the pages to me, I go to the local library or internet cafe, receive the e-mail and print out the relevant pages.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I agree that PDF based manual will be an asset in addition to the existing print base. Who knows, maybe one will be put together soon.
Since my previous post, I ordered an OEM repair manual and will consider converting parts of it into an electronic reference file (for personal use only). It will be redundant and cumbersome to take a laptop as well as an OEM manual on these long trips...

In general I prefer to work with paper manuals, but won't be limited to a single format only.

GLTA

Koby

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have PDF manuals for a previous bike, and my car. The best part is printing out the pages I need, and getting my greasy hands all over them while working, without worry. After that they go in the recycling bin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the printed version, and see absolutely no ethical reason why I shouldn't be able to download a PDF. I don't care if it's legal or not, there's no way I'll be carrying a giant book instead of a change of clothes.

Looks like about 3/4 of the people responding here would like a PDF in addition to the printed version, so it seems Triumph is being negligent of their own customers.

And yes, I have benefited from a PDF before. While riding a Suzuki TLS in Montana, I broke down and needed service at a shop. The only open one was a Honda dealer, and it was very handy that I had a PDF on my laptop. We got all the proper torque values off and I left knowing my bike was put back together correctly.

I was also changing the fork oil on my Sprint after a cross-country ride, and of course I didn't bring the paper manual due to space and weight. I had to call and annoy the dealer to ask for specs (oil height, etc).
True, the manual isn't the most descriptive howto guide, but it's still very useful to have. If it wasn't, there's no point in having the paper version.

Smartphones and PDAs can read PDFs too. Even if it's annoying to read on a small screen, it can be very helpful in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
I have the printed version, and see absolutely no ethical reason why I shouldn't be able to download a PDF. I don't care if it's legal or not, there's no way I'll be carrying a giant book instead of a change of clothes.

Looks like about 3/4 of the people responding here would like a PDF in addition to the printed version, so it seems Triumph is being negligent of their own customers.

And yes, I have benefited from a PDF before. While riding a Suzuki TLS in Montana, I broke down and needed service at a shop. The only open one was a Honda dealer, and it was very handy that I had a PDF on my laptop. We got all the proper torque values off and I left knowing my bike was put back together correctly.

I was also changing the fork oil on my Sprint after a cross-country ride, and of course I didn't bring the paper manual due to space and weight. I had to call and annoy the dealer to ask for specs (oil height, etc).
True, the manual isn't the most descriptive howto guide, but it's still very useful to have. If it wasn't, there's no point in having the paper version.

Smartphones and PDAs can read PDFs too. Even if it's annoying to read on a small screen, it can be very helpful in a pinch.

Enos

while we all agree a pdf would be very nice and most useful the fact is if you down load a pirated version on pdf then you are breaking the law.

Your ethics do not include laws?
That seems well UNETHICAL!:confused::confused:

This site does not condone the breaking of copyright laws.
It doesn't matter what you think about Triumph or anyone else it is illegal.

DaveM

·
Registered
15 Posts
But...

... is it forum "legal" if someone says that it does have a pdf with some manuals?

And provide an email where other someone could ask him for the pdf?

Cheers

Luis

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Enos

while we all agree a pdf would be very nice and most useful the fact is if you down load a pirated version on pdf then you are breaking the law.

Your ethics do not include laws?
That seems well UNETHICAL!:confused::confused:

This site does not condone the breaking of copyright laws.
It doesn't matter what you think about Triumph or anyone else it is illegal.

DaveM
My ethics do not include ALL laws, However as a a Triumph sanctioned site we cannot sanction copyright infraction particularly for Triumph manuals. I regularly ignore some traffic laws, at my risk and others. I bought a Sprint Shop Manual and made a PDF. I suspect Triump doesn't include a PDF with the manual to make it a little harder for the pirates. Probabaly the same reason they don't put out a parts manual with real part numbers. I have made PDF's of old Norton, Dunstall and Amal manuals and given them as grab bag prizes at Norton Club events. It's still breaking some copywrite law. Triumph might not have a problem with what I do even if it were a manual for a 1953 Speed Twin.

On the other hand If you plan on woking on your bike you'll buy a manual, but these days 95+% of the riders bring there bike to the shop anyway so where's the big issue, since the number who would care about doing their own maintenance is so small I don't see it effecting Triumps bottom line in the least. They still have to buy parts

·
Registered
16 Posts
First, I do not have a Sprint manual PDF (couldn't find one for my year).

There is also a difference between what's ethical and what's legal. Ideally the two would overlap, but frequently they do not. I find many things that are legal to be unethical and vice versa. I find the ethics of bribed school washouts (aka lawmakers) to be very poor to begin with and take their product with a grain of salt.

As for the PDF, Triumph has been paid for my paper manual. I am not stealing anything. The manual's format makes it useless on trips. What's the ethical difference between spending hours scanning the manual myself or getting the same thing already done by someone else?

I agree that getting a PDF from a pirate without compensating Triumph in any way isn't exactly ethical, and I understand that that's what you're trying to prevent. I'm just making the point that there are legit purposes for a PDF manual that are not served by Triumph, and not everyone who wants or has a PDF is an automatic bad person.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I bought the manual, made a pdf, and loaded it on to a memory stick which is now in my tool kit, just in case.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
First, I do not have a Sprint manual PDF (couldn't find one for my year).

There is also a difference between what's ethical and what's legal. Ideally the two would overlap, but frequently they do not. I find many things that are legal to be unethical and vice versa. I find the ethics of bribed school washouts (aka lawmakers) to be very poor to begin with and take their product with a grain of salt.

As for the PDF, Triumph has been paid for my paper manual. I am not stealing anything. The manual's format makes it useless on trips. What's the ethical difference between spending hours scanning the manual myself or getting the same thing already done by someone else?

I agree that getting a PDF from a pirate without compensating Triumph in any way isn't exactly ethical, and I understand that that's what you're trying to prevent. I'm just making the point that there are legit purposes for a PDF manual that are not served by Triumph, and not everyone who wants or has a PDF is an automatic bad person.
Enos

I never have ever stated or implied that someone "who wants a pdf is an automatic bad person".

DaveM

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ethics vs. legal

Sorry folks, what one may consider ethical is usually not legal to the letter of the law. Legalities are the only things that matter here.

Distributing .pdf versions is not legal, not matter if you made money or just to cover expenses or just gave it away. The manual, no matter that you paid for it, is not your intellectual property. Triumph retains that ownership and right forever unless they lease or sell that right.

Unless the manual states that you can make copies, which I haven't seen, you, by law would have to ask the property owner's permission before making a copy. I'll bet if you look, you will find a big paragraph or several, stating the copyright stipulations.

That's the law and ethics do not apply.

As a photographer, I totally agree with copyright laws which are meant to protect the intellectual property owner's rights. The property owner goes though a tremendous amount of expense to write, publish and distribute their wares and has every right for compensation.

Anyone that is caught distributing illegal manual copies here will automatically be banned from the site.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New manual and other copyrighted material rules. Members read

The status of this has changed. Read, heed and beware.

The distribution of illegal copyrighted materials has never been condoned here. In the past the post was deleted and the member was given a warning.
As of this time any mention of any illegal file formats of copyrighted material of any kind, the member will immediately be placed on LIMITED ACCESS. A second occurance and the member will be banned.

There will be no discussion on this.

Don

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.