Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The status of this has changed. Read, heed and beware.

The distribution of illegal copyrighted materials has never been condoned here. In the past the post was deleted and the member was given a warning.
As of this time any mention of any illegal file formats of copyrighted material of any kind, the member will immediately be placed on LIMITED ACCESS. A second occurance and the member will be banned.

There will be no discussion on this.
Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Digital Manuals from Triumph

Well, just to mention to Triumph. I'd really, really like a digital version of the shop manual from them. I want to stay legal, but that paper manual (which I've paid for) is pretty big. A PDF is awfully light when packing for a touring trip.

--
Don

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I too would like a digital version as I have a computer terminal set up in my garage and would like it up on the monitor and I agree with the previous comment on having it handy for long trips. :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Ok, you are on a trip and you have your handy dandy shop manual pdf with you and the bike craps out. What possible use is the manual going to be? It does not have trouble shooting steps in it except for the Triumph gameboy. It does not provide any system explanations. It is not much more than an assembly manual. If you guys are expecting it to be a "how to fix it" manual, you are in for a surprise.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ok, you are on a trip and you have your handy dandy shop manual pdf with you and the bike craps out. What possible use is the manual going to be? It does not have trouble shooting steps in it except for the Triumph gameboy. It does not provide any system explanations. It is not much more than an assembly manual. If you guys are expecting it to be a "how to fix it" manual, you are in for a surprise.
Well see if we had our manual on a pdf we would know that but we dont so there you go. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
You aren't wrong exactly, but having the manual would still be useful. At least you could tell that "to fix X you do or don't need to the magic widget". On one previous trip, I lost power to the GPS in the middle of Texas. While the real problem was in the accessory line, not the factory wiring harness, I would have liked to have access to the wiring diagram to consider different ways of fixing the problem.

PS:The main purpose is.... it would make me feel better.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe they ought to consider selling all of their newer manuals with a CD or DVD in the back that has the entire manual in PDF format. Would probably be a first in the industry, and if they were to make some of the CDs available for some of the older bikes, that wouldn't be a bad idea, either. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the PDF version. I’m not saying that I would be able to fix the bike on the side of the rode, but if on a trip and I need to fix something, or find a part number, than I just pup a thumb drive into any PC with a USB port, or store it on my PDA. I'm good to go no matter where I am.

As a Mechanical Engineer I love having access to information, I have purchased tons of books and trade publications that weigh only a few ounces because I store PDF's of the books on removable media. Makes it easy to carry a wealth of knowledge with me, also leaves more space in the tank bag for other items. :)

Besides, think of the trees they would be saving.

If Triumph is worried about not being able to charge for it they can always password protect the PDF file.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I like the PDF version. I’m not saying that I would be able to fix the bike on the side of the rode, but if on a trip and I need to fix something, or find a part number, than I just pup a thumb drive into any PC with a USB port, or store it on my PDA. I'm good to go no matter where I am.

As a Mechanical Engineer I love having access to information, I have purchased tons of books and trade publications that weigh only a few ounces because I store PDF's of the books on removable media. Makes it easy to carry a wealth of knowledge with me, also leaves more space in the tank bag for other items. :)

Besides, think of the trees they would be saving.

If Triumph is worried about not being able to charge for it they can always password protect the PDF file.

Peace.
Would that were true.

I keep trying to tell you guys that the shop manual does not have that information. IT DOES NOT HAVE PART NUMBERS.

Tell ya what, buy one and find out for yourself.

I wish it was a true shop manual, but it isn't.

And I love those posts that start out with, "I am a mechanical engineer".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Would that were true.

I keep trying to tell you guys that the shop manual does not have that information. IT DOES NOT HAVE PART NUMBERS.

Tell ya what, buy one and find out for yourself.

I wish it was a true shop manual, but it isn't.

And I love those posts that start out with, "I am a mechanical engineer".
Well, The manual may not have part number, didn't say it did, but I do have PDF's that show each system with part numbers. :D
Bike Bandit part numbers on each system for the Sprint.

ps. I only mentioned being an engineer to relate not wanting to carry a load of books, and to say that thousands of books/manuals have been created in PDF format. Just wish that Triumph would also follow suit.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Well, The manual may not have part number, didn't say it did, but I do have PDF's that show each system with part numbers. :D
Bike Bandit part numbers on each system for the Sprint.

ps. I only mentioned being an engineer to relate not wanting to carry a load of books, and to say that thousands of books/manuals have been created in PDF format. Just wish that Triumph would also follow suit.
So, are you saying that you have the Triumph Illustrated Parts Breakdown on PDF?

If you have a copy of the bikebandit listing, you do realize that their numbers bear no corellation to the Triumph factory numbers?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe they ought to consider selling all of their newer manuals with a CD or DVD in the back that has the entire manual in PDF format. Would probably be a first in the industry, and if they were to make some of the CDs available for some of the older bikes, that wouldn't be a bad idea, either. :D
If you have a scanner you can make your very own PDF manual on a rainy Sunday;) sure it'll be time consuming but if you really want one then that's about the only way that you'll get one. I agree that keeping the original clean would be a nice benefit:)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Other than the dealership, does anyone know where I can order a service manual for my 2008 ST?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can order a manual from Team Triumph and I think from British Customs. Mine was about $80. in late 2006. Team Triumph will sell you the special tools too.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
My BMW manual is on CD. It's searchable and much easier to use than my paper manuals. I don't think you can buy a paper one from BMW anymore.
The real nice thing about BMW(and others) is that you can go on-line to dealer-published parts fiches W/factory part numbers and find what you need along with the list PRICE of the parts.:)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well if Triumph doesn't produce a pdf manual then I wonder where this guy got his? hmmmmmmmm........

There are a hole bunch of guys who scan the manuals into pdf's and sell them for a few bucks for all sorts of bikes.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I would have bought a PDF manual from Triumph if one had have been available. I didn't want yet another book in my already full bookcase.

I bought a PDF manual off Fleabay that was too cheap IMO but was exactly what I wanted. Triumph lost a sale by not keeping up with the modern technology thing. :(

It is a pity as I would have gladly given them my cash

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.