Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace my clutch fluid manually - don't have a MightyVac. All the posts say the procedure is just like bleeding the brakes.

Is the clutch lever squeezed a few times, then allow the lever to extend all the way out, open the bleeder valve a 1/4 turn, and slowly squeeze the handle, and when it is pressed against the handle bars, close the bleeder valve, and add fluid, continuing until the fluid is clear (cleaner)?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Pretty much the same as what I do except before opening the bleeder I squeeze the clutch lever just a little, open the bleeder and squeeze the clutch lever almost to the hand grip then close the bleeder. Not saying my way is the right way, that's just how I do it and like it was stated before, pretty much the same as you...:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
You've got the procedure down correctly. Just be sure to squeeze the clutch lever nice and slowly when bleeding if you leave the reservoir cap off. Otherwise you will get a nice arc of brake fluid coming straight at you from the reservoir. Don't ask how I know that...

Noel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you have a Farm Supply store anywhere near you?

A big syringe like they use to inject cattle is very helpful, easier to use than a mighty vac and cheap.
What Denny is talking about is a excellent procedure. Use the syringe to push the fluid through the bleeder, and up to the reservoir. This way, the air is being pushed up (the way it wants to go) and out the reservoir. Result, a much firmer feel in a fraction of the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts