Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found over the years my Speed Triple 955i '03 can heat up quickly at standstill and slow moving speed so wanted to install a manual switch on the handlebar to give me a bit more control at these times. I decided to use a switch which has an illuminated LED when switched on. Here is a diagram of the switch wiring to a light:

I decided to draw up a diagram to use this switch on the wiring up of a manual fan. I followed the advice of DEcosse a good number of years ago:

"At cooling fan, you have a brown/pink wire and black/yellow wire (two actually). The brown/pink is 'hot' with ignition on.
The black/yellow return is supplied by the ECM and this is the control line for the fan to run.
Splice into the black/yellow wires and run a wire to a switch, the other pole of which goes to battery -ve (or other suitable return wire). No need for any diodes."

I felt the best place to tap into the black wire from the fan to the ECU would be before the connector near the fan as after the connector this doubles up to 2 black / yellow wires from the single black one.

It would welcome any comments on the diagram I've done as to whether the wiring is correct or wrong (I don't want to bugger my ECU)?

I'm also interested in if the Brown wire tapping a 12v ignition wire could instead use the red supply wire to the fan?
And also if any (normally black) return wire to the battery is suffice instead of the battery negative terminal?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fan sinks a lot of current - you would be better to use a relay controlled by the switch

Honestly, your fan should be coming on at 103 anyway, which is plenty adequate and if you want it to come on earlier, you can program it in TuneECU to make the trigger at say 99 vs 103.
Thanks for the advice, I have reduced the temp to 100 degrees with TuneECU. As regards using a relay I must be honest that I wouldn't know where to start.

Any advice re, what relay, wiring, etc or a link to a diagram?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts