Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried rigging up a switch to manually engage the cooling fan? I have one on my Trans Am to cool it down after dragstip passes, and I was thinking about trying to do one on the truimph but I figured I'd check and see if anyone's tried it before so I wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel. I'm sure it would have to be diode isolated and such, but I haven't checked to see which wire(s) triggers the fan relay. It'd be nice to be able to switch the fan on while sitting in traffic when I know the bike is going to get hot...riding in FL in the summertime has it's downside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, 2002 955i...sorry, thought it was in my sig.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Yup, 2002 955i...sorry, thought it was in my sig.
Go to your usercp profile and add it under 'favourite bike' - also useful to add your location
Both will appear in the margin on left under your screen-name

At cooling fan, you have a brown/pink wire and black/yellow wire (two actually)
The brown/pink is 'hot' with ignition on.
The black/yellow return is supplied by the ECM and this is the control line for the fan to run.

Splice into the black/yellow wires and run a wire to a switch, the other pole of which goes to battery -ve (or other suitable return wire). No need for any diodes.

If you're looking for nice 'matching' switch, check these out

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool, thanks for the info man!

I like those switches a lot...I'll most likely come up with something custom though, maybe near the guages or on one of the inner fairing trim panels. Don't really want to put it on the bars seeing as how I'll probably be stopped or at low speed when using it.

Thanks again

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same Question but different bike

Hey Guys...could you give me the same information for a 1997 T595? It always likes to run hot in any kind of traffic. And since I am electrically challenged...will the fan still come on automatically if this switch is in place?
Thanks
Michael

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Hey Guys...could you give me the same information for a 1997 T595? .....will the fan still come on automatically if this switch is in place? ....
It is the opposite convention on a 97-01 bike - the -ve return is constant and the power to the fan is switched.
You would do essentially the same, but instead of connecting the other pole of the switch to the fan (the common is still connected to -ve) you would find the black/yellow wire that is on the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay is number 5 - that is second from right Looking towars front of bike) in the forward row, immediately behind fuse panel.

In either model, if the switch is left in 'off' position, the fan would still come on normally for over-temp control.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It runs right up to the red mark and then the fan comes on. I have burped the system, checked the thermostat, and replaced coolant with no change in operation. On the open road with speed it will run in the mid-range.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What temp does it run at?
Mine runs at 180* or so but as soon as I stop and there's no airflow over the radiator it starts to shoot up. It his 217* before the fan kicks on...too high for my personal taste.

does anyone have pictures of where this stuff is or a picture tutorial on how to do this? :)
I'll try to do it within the next week or so and when I do I'll be sure to take some pics and do a writeup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts