Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the cyclic vibration. Then the clogged evap and running rich. Then the washer. Then the valve fiasco. Well, today i topped it all off with a cherry......some kid rear ended me in my 2004 accord thats other wise mint. I'm sure my insurance will go up so i won't be getting any favors from the insurance. Luckily damage was limited to the rear bumper. But geez.......i feel like i'd just like to lay down and have em throw the dirt on me. However, i'll have to make due with many coronas tonite. :(

·
Registered
711 Posts
Daz, I hope you had an opportunity to have a great Thanksgiving and the day offered a chance to reflect on your many blessings. I know you want to get this string of events turned around asap. There is a fine art to consoling with a little self medication with our good friend Mr. Alcohol, but your situation is driving me to drink, I can only imagine how it is for you. This stopped being any kind of a joking matter for you and I'm sure your Fun Meter is about pegged. Keep the faith and stay the course. You will be victorious and have your sport return to one that gives you that good mojo you once enjoyed.

Stay safe,
BobW

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know......i thought of that as soon as i got back in the car to drive home. Thats one of the reasons i always split lanes when coming to a red light with cars in both lanes. I'm much more aware of being rear ended among other things when on the bike. After today i'll be even more aware.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That sucks man. But you've got some sympathetic ears here, and you live in a place you can ride year round. If we can't cheer you up, go for a ride. At least you don't have two feet of snow on the ground too.
Take it easy.

·
Registered
537 Posts
dazco,

You have made many good contributions to this forum. I'm glad you are sharing your heart now on your situtation. It is good to let it out.

You're in my prayers.

John

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Hey, anyone know about the laws in Ca. regarding reporting accidents? It's been many years and i can't recall, but seems like you have to notify someone within 48 hours, or 72 or something like that. Police? Insurance? My ins. agent wasn't open today so i couldn't contact them. what should i do?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Things seem to start out bad then taper off.
But I thought I was the only one that splits lanes at stop lights. I also set 2-3 car lengths back. I am always looking for a way out. Shoulder, center median, dirt, something.
When things are at the bottom they have to go up. Take care.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Daz, some states say exchange information, but no report required on private property nor on a public way under a certain dollar amount when no injury is present. You can call the local police station and ask if a report is required, if it is, they can tell you how to complete one. Take pictures if you haven't already and make as detailed a narrative of the events, conversation, witness(?) info as possible. My son was in a mall parking lot when a guy backed his lifted 4X4 over the grill/hood of his Acura (couldn't see from lifted position). The induced sheet metal damage, tire scuff marks and radiator fluid pattern showed the guy had been pushing his car back from a stop. As it was a situation where the police didn't investigate, my photos and detailed information disputed his B.S. version of events and his company paid for all repairs. It's a pain in the butt, but you'll get compensated.

Good luck,
Bob

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bump, Daz. I certainly seems you are well overdue for a spell of really good luck in the near future.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what the procedure is regarding the reporting of accidents in the US, but here in the UK we have a law which operates to the effect that it is the fault of the following vehicle for any rear end collision - it is the responsibility of all drivers to drive in a manner in which they are able to stop within the distance they are able to clearly see and see is clear. Where there has been such a collision, both drivers should stop and exchange the following details: name, address, registration/licence plate number, insurance company and policy number. If any damage or injury has been incurred by either party, failure to stop and do so is a criminal offence ("leaving the scene").

If turns out that your country's law is the same and if you have any details of the car or driver which shunted you, give them to your insurance broker/company without delay (also, a photo of the damage might be helpful) and seek their advice. If the other car is on record, and blame can be established as being on their part, their insurance company should be responsible for making good the damage without the need for you to loose any of your "no claims bonus". If blame cannot be established, you'll probably have to calculate whether it would be more economic for you to either: a - claim on your own insurance to have the damage fixed and loose your bonus, or ; b - pay for the repair yourself and keep your bonus intact. Most insurance companies will give you this choice at some stage.

I hope this helps, my friend. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Daz, I'm sorry for your string of bad luck. At least you have emerged with yourself unscathed.

I lived in California for 36 years and learned about reporting traffic incidents the hard way while I was there. You can still go to the police and make a report, but it won't be nearly as good as if you had called them while you and the kid were still at the scene. Since it wasn't your fault, the police would have written that up and backed it by their inspection of the cars, skid marks etc., and talking to the two of you and the kid, plus any witnesses. If you go in now, all they can do is write down your story. Ask your insurance agent if they recommend doing that.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Dear Daz,

We love you dude!!!!!! Hang in there!

:)

Mare (a girl)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
A bad couple months?

...maybe the title of your thread shouldve been..." What a great couple of months, I'm the luckiest mofo on the forums"

...you lose a washer in the motor, which end's up doing no damage.

...you remove your cams and roll the motor over while they are removed, not knowing what position the crank is now in you re-install the cams with the marks lined up and somehow manage to not slap the valves/piston's together.

...your cruisin in your car and some fool kid runs into the back of you...bumper damage, and odd's are probably new paint...seeing how he ran into the back of you...it'll be his cost, not yours.

..yea man you got it bad.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah well, i suppose thats true to an extent. On the other hand i've rarely had such bad luck all at once like this. Luckiest mofo.......naaa, definatly not. Luckier than i could have been, yep, no doubt. I'm ok with it all really. The biggest problem was that It WAS a huge pain, and the car thing will be even moreso. But all in all it coulda been a lot worse, you're right. Only thing bothering me is the damge to the car. It's very slight but i'd hate to have to live with it. On the other hand if i have it repaired with insurance and it goes up, i'll probably end up paying more for the increased cost of my policy than if i'd paid to have it repaired myself. so it could be a lose lose sitch.

On a brighter note after riding my bike several more times i'm beginning to believe this is the best it's ever run probably due to the valves being adjusted correctly. At this point i wouldn't touch a bet against the notion that the valves are just fine......in fact i'm sure of it. Whatever the reason, be it my theory or whatever, it's just fine. Now my big concern is just finding a way to lengthen the risers or find an aftermarket set that look good to me and don't require i drill the clamp. (latter being unlikely at best)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Daz,

Like 'black-bonnie' said, you always offer helpful advice on this forum so I'm very sorry to hear of your recent bout of bad luck.

If you were rear-ended, I do not believe your insurance premiums should increase much, if at all. I was tagged a few years ago while sitting at a stop light. I was not at fault so my insurance rate did not change. But I'm sure the other guy's did. :)

Hang in there buddy.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I suspect your valves have always been bent & you just straightened them out while rolling the motor over. Thus it runs better. (Maybe not).
Also I bet the guy that ran into you is on some Jab car speed freak meth smoking forum saying what a bad couple of months he has had.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Daz, if it's any consolation, you've got people all over the world wanting things to get better for you, and you know what? THEY Will, it's just time mate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.