Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks, longtime rider & forum lurker. Tomorrow I take delivery of (almost) new 2020 Thruxton RS.
I've been planning a 'dream build' for a bit and figured I'd share my plans with the forum for feedback.
I'd love to hear:

• overall thoughts
  • what am I missing (esp. performance wise)
  • specific brands/solutions

Thanks!

and then for 'cockpit cleanup' this is my inspiration, including renthal clipons/ Magura HC3 master cylinders, motogadget switches/buttons etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I don't care what others think but I love my Thruxton the way it came out of the dealership and only improved it for traveling and of course with the Meerkat x-pipe and opened up stock mufflers, mine came with the fairing kit fitted but I put the stock bars risers over the lower bars that came with the FK, its set up for long distant riding and the only other thing I will be doing to it is replace the rear shocks and Race Tec spring in the front as mine is a 2016 Thruxton S, it was old new stock when I brought it new in 2018 with over $3.5K off the price as well a FK fitted, I already have the RT front spring from my older Thruxton, so just only need the rear shocks still thinking about Ikon shocks as I have had Koni and Ikon shocks on all my bikes, as for performance the stock motor is good enough for me, I can pull wheelies when ever I feel like it and it gets me in enough trouble with the law now with speeding tickets if caught, the stock look of my bike keeps the law off my back, it performs good with the open stock pipes but is still quiet to sneek around without attracting anyone.
But of course most like changes and spending a lot of money on their bike on top of what the bike cost to buy, me I set it up for travel and comfort over looks, but then the stock look is pretty good and the performance is quite good as it is with a few minor improvements without spending a lot of money, but of course this is my opinion, everyone is different.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hello folks, longtime rider & forum lurker. Tomorrow I take delivery of (almost) new 2020 Thruxton RS.
I've been planning a 'dream build' for a bit and figured I'd share my plans with the forum for feedback.
I'd love to hear:

• overall thoughts
  • what am I missing (esp. performance wise)
  • specific brands/solutions

Thanks!
View attachment 747455

and then for 'cockpit cleanup' this is my inspiration, including renthal clipons/ Magura HC3 master cylinders, motogadget switches/buttons etc.

View attachment 747449
View attachment 747457
Something else to think about is that its a new bike to you and thinking of making changes before even riding it, it might surprise you the way it is, handle good and looks good, first thing you should do is ride it, get use to it and if you want to make changes do it as you go and set it up for you and ride ride ride, when I picked mine up on Friday afternoon it was back for the first service on the Monday, but its a great feeling when you first jump on your new bike so have fun and good luck with it, I am sure you will love it the way it is with a few little changes for yourself.

Ashley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something else to think about is that its a new bike to you and thinking of making changes before even riding it, it might surprise you the way it is, handle good and looks good, first thing you should do is ride it, get use to it and if you want to make changes do it as you go and set it up for you and ride ride ride, when I picked mine up on Friday afternoon it was back for the first service on the Monday, but its a great feeling when you first jump on your new bike so have fun and good luck with it, I am sure you will love it the way it is with a few little changes for yourself.

Ashley
yes i was ready for the inevitable "you should ride a while before making mods" comment. I'm familiar with Thruxtons and have ridden others and seen this one and have friends who own them etc. etc. Yes, i wont ride THIS one until later today (exciting), but enough people make most of these basic mods that I'm fairly confident I will want them.

Notice, a lot of this is just cosmetics because in some sense I DO agree with you. I plan on riding pretty heavily before making any substantive changes to things like geometry; bars/ride height, shocks (besides just adjusting properly), dyno, cams etc. For that level of stuff, your point is totally valid.

I mod all my bikes...mostly looking for advice on specific brands, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks! @pollardmatt you make a great point I probably should skip the Xpipe and just go full system. Friend of mine has Scorpion headers w/ Arrow exhaust which sounds amazing. I'm looking for a short pipe (preferably something 1/2 length) that sounds just as good......any suggestions there?

·
Registered
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
341 Posts
2.5 lb. Ea can..British Customs GP with some nice headers with X delete, I think u would like. as far as performance & sound and the back pressure when down shifting or backing off the throttle creates such great classic Popping it will make u tingle...lol. and that's with my stock headers, I am a 1000% satisfied......Ftg

·
Registered
Thruxton 1200 R , 900 , KTM Duke 390 , Honda NSR 125 , SWM 124
1,670 Posts
Thanks folks! @pollardmatt you make a great point I probably should skip the Xpipe and just go full system. Friend of mine has Scorpion headers w/ Arrow exhaust which sounds amazing. I'm looking for a short pipe (preferably something 1/2 length) that sounds just as good......any suggestions there?
IXIL Ironhead with baffles/ db killers removed suitably roar/raw .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any other header/muffler combinations folks suggest? anything that is really short or tucks under seat, SOUNDS amazing with power increase?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts