Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to ride the K1200R's for a long time so when my local Triumph/BMW dealer ask, what bike I would like to test ride today, I automaticaly pointed to a K1200R. What a treat......to get a chance to ride one.
They are an awsome bike guys, but the whole experience left me with the knowlege how very very special our 1050 engined Triumphs are.
My biggest neg on the K1200 is how heavy it felt turning around in slow speed manuvering and the front end felt vague......
That said I have been considering making a switch this fall or next spring from my 07 Speed Triple to a Tiger or Sprint. (leaning towards the Sprint)
My only complaint w/ the Speed Triple has been harsh supension. The roads in Missouri tend to be rubbish and I believe the Sprint would offer a more comfy ride on my daily grind to work but still offer a bike that can be enjoyed in the twisties. Might be better for Missouri winters considering it has a full fairing.
Not that much snow and ice here in the winter, but many of the days I ride are in the mid to upper 20's. Thank god for heated jackets and gloves.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You rode the best BMW series in terms of sportiness. The 1300 series is a little better in every category making it worth considering. In terms of suspension and brakes the BMW has it over the Sprint IMO. It is more advanced and feels well put together. The Sprint feels easier to handle due to its noticeably lighter weight, but once you start pushing them into a corner the BMW is more responsive and composed IMO. At the end of the day, the beemer is faster and has a big sticker price on it. The Sprint is prettier, more comfy, has a better engine in terms of fun factor and is cheaper. The first three Sprint pros are big IMOs, but I don't think you would get much argument from people who have ridden both.

I came away from the R/S series believing it is a real competitor to the Sprint unlike the VFR which was uncomfortable and has an uninspiring engine or 800ST which felt cheap (and gets REALLY hot) especially considering it is a BMW. The 1050 Triple is without a doubt the best engine in terms of functionality and "fun factor" I have ever had the pleasure of riding and that is a HUGE plus that is hard to move past. If the engine isn't your thing, the RT is an astonishingly good motorcycle. I couldn't get past the engine, but the RT handles very well doesn't weigh much more than a Sprint and is about as comfortable as a motorcycle gets. The engine though... whew what a let down.

If you are looking at the Tiger as well check out the GS and even FZ1 which is a very nice bike as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
As a long time BMW rider and fan, first one was a '71 R75/5, many others since, I have to say that BMW has really hit the mark with their latest series of bikes. R12RT is just a great bike, the K12/K13 bikes easily rival and, in many ways, excel over the Japanese hyperbikes. That said, they just don't do it for me like my Sprint does. I had already moved on from the fold when I got my '01 Honda Blackbird. There is very little that I find more satisfying than cracking the throttle on something with 160+ HP at say 80 mph and feeling that tractor like pull up to 120. The darn Sprint is within maybe 2 bike lengths of what the Blackbird will do with 40 less HP. Weighs a good 60 lbs less of course and that does help.

I can put up with the too soft suspension, I kinda like the cushy ride. I will be making some changes to make the bike mine but they won't be radical as I want to retain the ability to arrive at my hotel refreshed after a 500 mile day and ready to do another. At my age, 67, I don't really strafe corners anymore. I can still get down the road but, after a crash that totaled my Blackbird and nearly did the same to me, I have backed off a notch or two. That, and a couple of track schools, have made me realize that ear holing, to use a term from my youth, is a sport best practiced by the young. The Sprint is a perfect partner for the riding I like to do. Loooong days in the saddle at elevated speeds with a few nice bends thrown in to add a little spice. I'm smoother than I am fast now, but smooth has its own rewards and ain't necessarily slow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
+1 for Engle Motors in KCMO. One the last old school dealers.

I have a Speed Triple and an 08 Sprint. My advice is just to have both>>>one for local riding, the other for Arkansas. I considered other sport touring bikes, including the K1200S, Interceptor and even a Multistrada and none quite measured up to the 1050 motor. The Sprint works great for 95% of riding but rides heavier than the Speed Triple. Not as flickable. Heated grips are also a good idea. Be warned, I have several friends in KC selling speed Triples and nothing seems to be moving. See you at Latte Land some time.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been meaning to check Latte land out sometime. I ride a white 07 S3 so look for me.
Yea, it makes more and more sense to have a S3 and the Sprint.....maybe if I am patient that will be the plan.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Cburt,

If your only complaint with your S3 is the suspension, fix it! Either do the job yourself, or snatch the tubes off and send them to Traxxion or Race-tech. Make sure you tell them you are a 'street' guy, and not a racer.

It'd cost a whole lot less to do that than you would lose on the sale of your bike.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure if the passenger thing is a factor or not, but my wife likes riding on the Sprint better than the BMW. She is 5'7" and everything seems to line up for her better on the Triumph. We only test road a K1200 so I can't speak for the new K1300, but she felt more cramped on the BMW. The side bags on the K1200 hang lower so they don't press against her legs like they do on the Sprint, but that wasn't too big of a concern for her.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Cburt,
If your only complaint with your S3 is the suspension, fix it! Either do the job yourself, or snatch the tubes off and send them to Traxxion or Race-tech. Make sure you tell them you are a 'street' guy, and not a racer.

It'd cost a whole lot less to do that than you would lose on the sale of your bike.
+1 Cburt.

After having a Sprint and preferring the Speed Triple. Then doing 40,000km on a Speed Triple and now having a Tiger. I think there's little difference between them. At this stage I wouldn't go back to a Sprint, but possibly would a Speed Trip.

The Tiger is the most comfy of the bunch, but that's seating position. If you're between 5'10"-6' it has crap wind protection (weather protection is fine, it's the noise and/or buffeting from the wind which is the problem). The seat is better than an 06/07 Speed Triple, but I heard they improved that for 08/09. So there's not many advantages. The bigger seat on the Tiger, and the more luggage room are it really.

The Speed Triple is lighter than the other 2, makes slightly more horses so I agree fix the suspension or go the Tiger if you want more comfort again.

Russ

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree, modifying the suspension would be a lot cheaper than purchasing a new bike.
Been thinking about this for months and I'm beginning to wonder if I would have buyers remorse afterwards.
I really love this Speed Triple......even though it does has a couple minor warts with its suspension.
Thanks for the time responding........good imput.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts