Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of my biggest pet peeves about this bike is the lack of an under the seat helmet lock. There are few places I trust leaving my helmet on the bars unsecured.

Has anyone successfully made a helmet lock? It seems as if you could fashion one with some wire that is looped at both ends. Bolt one end under the seat and have the other end secure to a hook of some sort. I will mess around with this soon but was wondering if anyone has a picture of anything they made. Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
344 Posts
This isn't quite an answer to your question, but my resolution was to buy a 6-ft combo bike cable which I loop through each helmet and then through something secure on bike (between bar and upper clamp, for exa). Takes about the same time as using the helmet lock of other bikes I've had. I also use the stock mirrors as helmet posts.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This isn't quite an answer to your question, but my resolution was to buy a 6-ft combo bike cable which I loop through each helmet and then through something secure on bike (between bar and upper clamp, for exa). Takes about the same time as using the helmet lock of other bikes I've had. I also use the stock mirrors as helmet posts.
That would also fit quite well under the seat and be just as effective! Why havent I thought of that......

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's what I did as well. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I do something similar,6ft cable and combo lock. It also works great for locking jackets to the bike. I took the wife to a festival and parking was a few blocks away,yet we were able to lock two leather jackets and two full face helmets to the bike.
Another option is to mount a hook under your seat. With the seat up attach the d ring from your helmet on said ring,then lock seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 on the combo lock, I hit the dollar store and picked up a couple of Combo locks for both my jacket and helmet., works great, cause seriously it's just a deterent to semi-honest thiefs. If someone really wants your helmet they'll rip it from whatever lock you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a carabiner combination lock to secure my helmet to my bikes. Just run through metal loops on helmet strap and around some portion of the bike frame or handlebars. I have yet to pick up my street triple (that happens tomorrow) so we'll see if there's a good spot on there for me to use my lock.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I got a Lockstrap.

It has a steel cable running the length of the strap, to help keep the honest people honest. I loop it around the chinbar, so your average schitehead can't just cut the strap. However I almost never use it, because even if they can't steal it, people can do some pretty stupid things to an unattended helmet. I usually just end up taking my helmet with me.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately I abandoned my idea of making a helmet lock. My local cycle gear had the combination carabiner on sale so I went that route.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the cable and locking carabiner from Cycle Gear as well. While it works good for securing a helmet and jacket, I wanted something simple and quicker for when I just wanted to run into the supermarket or whatever for a minute, but didn't just want to leave my helmet hanging on the mirror.

I have a Speed triple, but the principle is the same on the Street. Basically, I bought an el-cheapo helmet lock on amazon, then started looking for a place to attach it. I ended up just fabricating an aluminum bracket that mounts it where the passenger pegs used to be, but if you have the passenger pegs on your bike you could easily find somewhere else to attach it.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts