Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realized on Saturday that I had put the battery tender cables back on reversed after I had everything apart for the valve adjustment. The battery tender was facing away from me and I didn't realize until about 24 hours later that the red light was flashing indicating a problem. The battery doesn't seem to hold a charge now. I was hoping that since the battery tender knew something was wrong, it wouldn't do anything. Maybe my battery was marginal to begin with.
regardless, new battery is on the way. Ordered from www.batterymart.com (they are close to me so was hoping shipping wouldn't take too long either).

The battery is a big crank, AGM (no more nonsealed batteris for me I think) : http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html 57.95 + 12.00 shipping.

Anyone used their batteries before?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good call. Always keep your battery well charged or you may gain membership into the sprag clutch club. I am not and never want to be a member.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Twice so far my bike hasn't started due to a weak battery. I'm not sure it it the battery- or used alterntor I put in.

Yuck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the user error problem again. Got the new battery today, tried to start the Sprint Sport and it just wouldn't fire (was cranking fine). thought maybe I fried something by having the battery tender hooked up backwards. Took the tank off and checked the plugs for fouling. Looked fine. then checked to make sure there was spark, that was fine. Then I double checked the plug wires. Someone must have snuck into my garage after I put them back on and switched the #2 and #3 wires. There's no way I was dumb enough to hook up the tneder backwards AND switch up the plug wires.
Put them back right and it cranked after about a half a second. Took a test ride for ~15 minutes and everything is good again. glad to have my sprint sport back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's really easy to get those leads mixed up as they have to cross over each other and it all looks a bit wrong. I nearly did the same;)

Glad shes up and running now Dean.

Gav

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.