Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday night I rode 128 miles on my Bonneville averaging 80 mph, 90-95 in spurts. I wore a full face HJC and 30 decibel foam ear plugs.

I feel like I have a concussion. It felt like my ears were beating in bed Friday night. Sat through Sun (today) I've gotten more dizzy with my head pulsating more, light sensitivity and I can hardly sleep, because it feels like my brain is constantly stimulated. My ears pulsate too. I already have tinnitus, but that really doesn't seem worse.

Is this from the G Forces and head shaking (major cross winds), like from riding an old wood roller coaster? What I really want to know is if anyone else has experienced this and what those experiences were? I don't want to sound crazy, but this forum is the best outlet I know for my concern.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That certainly is a traveling at a good clip - I've had those feelings after a good number of hours on the road - which made me begin to use ear plugs a number of years back. Those feelings should subside overnight, if not maybe you are suffering from further hearing loss.

Perhaps denser ear plugs or custom made one to kill more sound, does your helmet have a skirt that attaches at the bottom of the helmet to kill more wind noise? Do you have a small windscreen that is deflecting the wind into your helmet? Might be better without one or one that can deflect the wind to the top of your helmet? Maybe some others have some thoughts...
Tom

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've ridden in some pretty nasty winds for awhile and have gotten a headache from getting the noggin hammered around, nothing some aspirin and downtime couldn't fix. Does your helmet fit you as it should? If your symptoms persist, don't be macho and go to the doctor, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't think your symptoms are from the ride. Maybe you have a viral low-grade meningismus feeling like some people have with the "flu" and the ride is unrelated. It's not flu season but other viral infections can cause similar symptoms.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hope you are feeling better by the time you get this message. My guess is that your ride Friday night aggravated some underlying issue but is not the primary cause of your symptoms. If your blood pressure is high or you have a fever I would see a doctor immediately. Otherwise, I think it would be prudent to still schedule a visit to your doctor to rule out anything requiring treatment. I wish you the best, I think you are going to be just fine.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I feel like I have a concussion. It felt like my ears were beating in bed Friday night. Sat through Sun (today) I've gotten more dizzy with my head pulsating more, light sensitivity and I can hardly sleep, because it feels like my brain is constantly stimulated. My ears pulsate too. I already have tinnitus, but that really doesn't seem worse.
I'll feel that way if I had too much caffeine. If you inhaled dust you might have irritated your sinuses making you feel sick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Which HJC do you have? If it's a lower-end model I'd scrap it and invest in a higher quality helmet. I used to have a low-end HJC and I switched to a Scorpion exo model in the same price range, the difference in wind noise was incredible!

I've recently noticed my scorpion can get tossed around a little when behind a vehicle that is interrupting wind and causing pulsating airflow patterns.

First thing I'd do is go to the doctor and make sure you don't have an underlying medical issue.

second, if clear of any medical problems, go to your most trusted bike outfitter and tell them about the problems you're having with your helmet. They will be able to recommend a helmet that will cut noise and shake to a minimum.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
What are you lot saying? I can't hear my Arai made me deaf!:p:D

seriously Wonder I'm not sure its the motorcycle helmet thats caused this.Are you sure you're not geting migraine? I suffer with this and your symptoms sound a lot like the onset of migraine.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I have found that a Shoei Qwest is the quietest helmet I've ever owned in over 40 years of riding. I have always worn a helmet. I'll even wear it without my ear plugs and still be comfortable.

And like Nickwiz said it sure sounds like a migraine to me also. Especially the light sensitivity.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What you've described does not sound typical.

How much do you ride? Is an hour at this speed something you have done before? Is this a new helmet? Are your pipes really loud?

You may just be coming down with a flu, or a touch of vertigo, or maybe you have something else cooking that a doc ought to hear about. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a cat scan today. Nothing looks wrong, but I feel like ass still. Ear drum Is a little swollen with a little fluid.

Going to my physical therapist tomorrow. He thinks he can help me. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So it sounds like it wasn't you helmet being the issue, but fwiw, like the other poster, I too have a Scorpion Exo (the 400 model) and the wind noise is not bad at all imo. I often ride interstate at around 75-80mph and have no issues with noise. I also have an Exo 1000, and the sound levels are fine on it too, I just think it feels heavier than the 400 and is a little more fatiguing to my neck.

I hope you get to feeling better.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I go along with everyone else - it's not normal. I've felt a bit of a headache from time to time from neck-muscle stress, especially in strong/swirling winds, and more especially if I haven't been riding for a while and my muscles have gone soft, but nothing remotely like what you describe. I hope you get well soon.

Ody

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to those of you who posted. I'm feeling much better now. It was a combination of ****ty helmet, underlying neck issues (tension and alignment) and crappy earplugs.

I haven't rode since the issues came up, but I plan to Wednesday for my weekly Quaker Steak bike night. Back in the saddle dudes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts