Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for help with a question about the frequency of cleaning/lubing the chain on the Street Triple. I was talking to a friend about the bike and we were talking about cleaning/lubing the chain. I thought I had read that we're supposed to clean/lube the chain like every 200 miles. Is that right? The person looked at me like I was on drugs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The owners manual for my Striple says to do it every 200 miles. I do mine probably every 500 miles or so.

Usually my chain cleaning process is on the edge of an OCD syndrome. I'll sit down with engine degreaser and a tooth brush and scrub everything pefectly clean including all chain links and both sprokets. Then i'll follow up with a really good coating of Chain Wax followed by a short drive then another coating of Chain Wax.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks, I will prob be a lil OCD when it comes to it as well. Being the first non-cruiser i have ridden i am clueless about maintenance, but am looking forward to learning. Thanks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think I might even do it a little too much. I have some freinds that don't clean their chains until they're pretty much solid black and just looks nasty. Seeing that I see chain care is as important as changing the oil I just take a couple hours every couple weeks to do it right. I see a lot of chains on these super-sport bikes around town that are rusted/dirty and just plain nasty looking, along with the rest of their bike. I'm proud of my stuff and I work hard for it so I like to take care of it. Even if the wife thinks I'm OCD :rolleyes:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Guys - go to the nearest Lowes Hardware store and get a can of DuPont Teflon Multi-Lube. It's like $5 or 6 a can. It sprays on clear and dries clear with no gunky residue. Use it about 200-300 miles, you can't overdo it. After it dries, in just a couple minutes, there is little to none fling-off.
Once you use this stuff there's no going back to traditional chain lubing sprays.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
Right now I'm using chain wax, but it goes every where.

I've seen a few ads in the latest SuperSport Bike magazine that has a new chain lube out that's supposed to dry clear/white and repel dirt and water really good.

I'm willing to try anything as this chain wax goes EVERY WHERE and I'm getting tired of cleaning the underside of the bike! LOL

But, I refuse to use teflon stuff in my firearms. And I'll be honest and say I'm "iffy" on using it on the bike. How good does the stuff work?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Works great. Here's a link to one article for more info. This product was made to be a chain lube, DuPont just chooses not to market it specifically for that purpose. I've been using it for the last 3 years, it's actually quite popular if you do searches on it. The chain will get cleaner with each use, but if you decide to try this use some kerosene and clean the existing goo off the chain first.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-lube.htm

Neanderthal

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Right now I'm using chain wax, but it goes every where.

I've seen a few ads in the latest SuperSport Bike magazine that has a new chain lube out that's supposed to dry clear/white and repel dirt and water really good. {etc}
That's a newer lube by BelRay. Leaves a whitish coating/film and from my experience does NOT fling...and when the white starts to disappear it's a sign the chain needs lubing again. I used it on my last bike with really good results and my Triumph dealer swears by it. I saw the white chain on my bike when I got it and was happy inside..haha

·
Registered
366 Posts
The stuff in the ads was probably Bellray "SuperClean" (which I use). I can't comment on how it works as I've only used it 3800 miles. True it doesn't fling off much, but also gunks up the chain quite a bit. I'm not a fan of it. I'll be switching to Dupont Teflon as soon as my Bellray runs out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wd-40

Heard that stuff is not good, I have the Blue whatever it is but have not used it yet but the people at the dealership said it was good. I have finally found a place that has kerosen so will prob clean with that. have any of you heard of any good products askide from diesel and kerosene for cleaning?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Homebrew

i come from a background in cycling (bicycles). the cost of commercial chain lubes is over the top.

so, long term cyclists make their own:
4 parts odorless mineral spirits, 1 part auto engine oil (any kind)

cleans and lubes the chain. i've been doing this for years.

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
That's a newer lube by BelRay. Leaves a whitish coating/film and from my experience does NOT fling...
Torco does the same thing. I've been using it for almost 10 years and have never had to replace a chain. I had a chain on my 650 enduro that had 40k on it and the sprocket was just starting to show signs of wear. I do lube after every ride over 100miles though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, for the info, I am planning on doing the kerosene for cleaning and the Bell i got from the dealer for the lubing every 200. I will let you know how that works out.

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Thanks, for the info, I am planning on doing the kerosene for cleaning and the Bell i got from the dealer for the lubing every 200. I will let you know how that works out.
Just a tip at the end of the day if you have been out for a long ride lube the chain right away. The lube works better on a hot chain in my experience.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just scrubbed my chain and sprocket w/ kerosene yesterday. Been using the Bel-Ray wax stuff. Will likey change to the teflon after this can. What a mess the kerosene and old wax made in the driveway - and on the back rim. Gotta give the whole bike a good bath today anyway.

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Be careful scrubbing your chain. If you use a brush do not use it on the top or bottom. If one of the bristles pushes between an o-ring and a plate it will push a tiny bit of dirt with it. After a while this dirt will eat up the o-ring and allow moisture to get in and the grease to escape.

I usually scrub the sides and use a rag soaked in wd-40 to wipe down the chain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts