Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may be a really dumb question, but I would rather ask than spend 100 bucks on a shop telling me. I have a 2013 EFI Bonnie. I've noticed that a lot of of gunk recently right behind the engine. Its greasy/oily, and I am wondering if its from the hole in the picture. I don't know enough about the bike (my first one, so please don't judge) but is there a bolt missing that I never realized?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
So this may be a really dumb question, but I would rather ask than spend 100 bucks on a shop telling me. I have a 2013 EFI Bonnie. I've noticed that a lot of of gunk recently right behind the engine. Its greasy/oily, and I am wondering if its from the hole in the picture. I don't know enough about the bike (my first one, so please don't judge) but is there a bolt missing that I never realized?

Thanks for any help!

I can't help with the gunk oil build up but I can tell you that the hole is a design carry over from older models... Nothing to worry about at all. My 2009 has it and I had the same question. This is my first bike as well

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Looks like a high pressure leak to me; I wonder if it's not from the oil pipe that feeds the head. I'm gonna move this over to the twins forum and see if those folks can help you.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The oil misting is coming from that red filter visible at the top of the picture.

Someone has removed the crankcase breather hose, and possibly also the airbox where the breather pipe was originally connected, and fitted the usual small filter to the end of the breather hose.

It should be placed as high as possible to allow any oil mist that is expelled by the engine to drain back into the engine. Even so sometimes the filter becomes saturated with oil and could do with removing, soaking in a solvent or petrol, drying and refitting, in your case higher up between the throttle bodies..

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
The oil misting is coming from that red filter visible at the top of the picture.
Good catch Mr. F. I didn't see that at first.

To dcist4life, That hole used to capture a guide for the wires coming from the alternator and the neutral switch. It's easier to leave it there than redesign the engine casing.

Your welcome to PM me anytime for help. I got to know, and become friends with another DC rider from this forum.
Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts