Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm writing from Italy and I say first that my English is not very good. I have seen that in this forum are all very good with the bike and I wanted to ask a question.

I have a Bonneville 790 with removed Air Intake System, Uni Filter, Snorkel removed and mufflers Debaffled.

what size of Main Jet should I mount?

I think that the ideal should be around 120/125 with Pilot Mixture Screw turn 2.75. Is it correct? I hope you can help me.

Sorry for my bad English.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
120 should be close to the right size.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I agree....120 should be real close to the correct size for your current modifications.

Don't apologize for your English--it is better than mine.:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jetting

Be sure to check your pilot jet while you are in there. Use a #42. This will have a very positive effect on your midrange. Your english is fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure to check your pilot jet while you are in there. Use a #42. This will have a very positive effect on your midrange. Your english is fine.
hi, in italy we have a lot of problems to find pilot jets for mikuni...
i'l try to regolate air mixture screw... for now i can't do anithing :/

thank you so mutch ;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
You probably don't need #42 pilot jets with your setup.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I agree with Marty in the post above. The 790 should run fine with the stock 40 pilot jets. Many run 42 pilot jets in the 865's, and I have no comment on that; however, I believe the 42 pilot jets are not needed for the 790 unless one is running header pipes without the crossover pipe. When I ran my bike with this type of header, the 42 pilot jet was needed; but, it is not needed now with the airbox removed and NH Togas. I still have the 42 pilot jets in but the pilot screws are adjusted less than 1 turn out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Jetting

Not to be argumenitive, but the guys at South Bay Triumph (British Customs) told me that when any mods are done to the intake, they always recommend going to a #42. The main jet is the one that requires more scrutiny because of the many different exhaust systems available, including simply removing the baffles on a stock set of silencers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, i'l try to find a 42 pilot jet... while I wait try to adjust the pilot mixture screw...

Keihin carburettor... yes...lapsus:p

Thanks to everyone for help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm sure the guys at South Bay know a lot more than I will ever know, and they probably know more than the A/F guage that was used to set mine up. After 21000 miles I still get 50+ mpg and it still runs like a scalded cat, and hits the rev limiter set at 8100 rpm before I can get ready to shift sometimes.:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
Frankie -

I have exactly the same set-up as you.

I run my carbs like this:

- 115 mains
- stock pilots
- thruxton needles

After I debaffled the stock pipes and put in the 115 main jet, I found that I had a flat spot at 3000rpm. The Thruxton needles fixed the flat spot. Now she runs perfectly through the entire rpm range.

P

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a 790 Bonnie with rear baffle removed and a couple of extra holes punched in the baffles.
snorkel removed and the snorkel hole enlarged.
I find 115 main jets
Stock needles with one .5mm shim
Standard 40 idle jets with about 3 turns out
works well for my bike.
I had Thrux needles but felt it was to rich in the mid upper range and was using too much fuel.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Same opinion here....I had vintage style mufflers installed and my dealer installed 42 pilots as well.Starts easy..I have a 790 motor ...125 mains .. Thruxton needles and great midrange performance,fun to ride.
Hey bonnieowner ,long time no see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts