Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the jets holders on my Amal mkIIs. How is the safest way to remove them? Can you use heat?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You just put a spanner on them and unscrew them.They shouldn't be ridiculously tight.Easier if the carb is still clamped to the head.

You could squirt some WD-40 in the main air bleed (the centre hole at the carb mouth),if corrosion on the thread is making them tight.

If any screw,bolt etc is tight in aluminium,I usually whack it with an aluminium punch and a hammer and it normally frees up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mi JRC, i take it the main jet holder wont budge by the normal means mate?

If not a small amount of heat from a propane torch should do it as well as pressure from a small spanner etc, dont over do it with the heat mate it's aluminium and can be damaged if over heated.

I have never had a jet holder not come undone, some can be pretty tight but have never had to heat one.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
If I needed to heat a carb, I'd bung it in boiling water.

Pretty near instant heating to around 100c with no risk of overheating.
\a quick shake should remove 99% of the water and the rest should evaporate PDQ

Mark 11 carbs are all metric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, I went with a small propane torch and heated slightly. After a few minutes I was able to get the holder out.

Does anyone else metric wrenches not fit exactly? A 13mm is to small and a 14MM is a little to big. Its not that I am using cheap wrenches. Just wondering if others find the same issue.

My carb parts should be in soon. Should have them back on by the weekend and hopefully the bike will come back to life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts