Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Sprint out for the maiden ride. Seemed to take forever to get away from Raleigh and the local towns. I decided to head toward hwy 42, seems that I remember some nice riding on that road a few years ago. I made the mistake of going through Fuquay-Varina while heading to Sanford. Once out of Fuquay the asphalt started to be a lot kinder. Had lunch at the Crossroads Grill on the corner of 42 and Nash just before it joins 421. Great bacon cheese burgers. I checked out the tornado damage from 2 weeks ago at the Lowes Hardware. Continued west on 42 toward a small town called Bennett. This is the fun road I remembered. Took a right on 902 toward Pittsboro and jumped on 64 east back to Raleigh. About 200 miles total. This bike has great power, very rarely needed to down shift. The only thing I can think of right now is maybe a bubble windshield.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just took my new to me 09 ST out today and I loved it. The sound was awesome. It is not your 4 banger that is for sure. And the handling was surprisely good for a heavier bike.

Congrads on your first ride.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Took the Sprint out for the maiden ride. Seemed to take forever to get away from Raleigh and the local towns. I decided to head toward hwy 42, seems that I remember some nice riding on that road a few years ago. I made the mistake of going through Fuquay-Varina while heading to Sanford. Once out of Fuquay the asphalt started to be a lot kinder. Had lunch at the Crossroads Grill on the corner of 42 and Nash just before it joins 421. Great bacon cheese burgers. I checked out the tornado damage from 2 weeks ago at the Lowes Hardware. Continued west on 42 toward a small town called Bennett. This is the fun road I remembered. Took a right on 902 toward Pittsboro and jumped on 64 east back to Raleigh. About 200 miles total. This bike has great power, very rarely needed to down shift. The only thing I can think of right now is maybe a bubble windshield.
You know whats crazy is I was at Ray Price Triumph the day the tornados hit. We rode off right before it destroyed everything around Ray Price except Ray Price....
Then we went tho Fuquay Varina and stopped to get coffee before we turned down hwy 42. Good thing we stopped because we nearly ran into that tornado as well. It blew right across the highway, right over the bridge like it was following the railroad tracks. We couldnt get to Sanford and had to turn around and take a different route to get to Fayetteville. Luckily we missed the torando that destroyed that place too.
Really lucky day. It was pretty rough riding on the edge of the tires while going straight because of the wind.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. That first ride is so awesome, isn't it? I personally love shifting/not shifting as I feel like it. When one of my friends rode it, the first thing he said after was, "So you don't have to shift this thing, do you?"

Tornadoes are scary. I used to have this huge T shaped barn. In 02 a tornado ripped the entire back half off of it. I tried to run to my basement, but didn't make it. I realized I was standing INSIDE of the tornado while in my kitchen. Then another tornado came in 06 and took the front half down. Not sure which one was scarier, the one I saw or the one I knew was there but couldn't see through the rain. And these were smallish tornadoes. I hope I never see one like they've had done south recently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The day the tornado came through Raleigh my wife and I were at home in N Raleigh. It came within 2 miles of our townhouse. It was way to close. I worked at Ray Price for over 5 years, left the dealership during the recent economic downfall. Several years ago I worked in Sanford, about 1/4 mile from the Lowes that was destroyed. Strange the path of this event, seems to have followed me to N. Raleigh.

Thinking about changing the risers, have you guys changed yours? The windshield will be a must as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thinking about changing the risers, have you guys changed yours? The windshield will be a must as well.
I lucked up on my '06 that I just purchased about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner had added a ton of stuff to the bike, including the taller bars from the new sprint and the touring windshield. The riding position is still a little aggressive for my old bones, but I think I'll get use to it. Here's the list of stuff he added. Paid $6000.

Tridents - High Performance Carbon Fiber Exhaust System
Panniers (factory saddlebags) Color Matched
Trunk - Color Matched
SW Motech Luggage Rack
Triumph Aero Flip-Up touring windscreen
Original Windscreen included, never used, still in box
Triumph (factory) tall handle bars
Triumph (factory) Heated Grips
Michelin Pilot Tires (low mileage)
Mike’s Grills (radiator/oil cooler protector, gold in color)
Triumph Fender Extender (front fender)
Powerbronze rear wheel Hugger
Throttlemeisters (friction throttle lock)
Pro-Oiler, computerized - automatic drive-chain oiler
Lite Blazer flashing brake lights
Triumph carbon fiber tank guard
Triumph Shop Manual

and he threw in a heated vest!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mongrel, sounds like a hell of a deal on your 06. I want to change the exhaust and a flip up windshield. How do you like the flip up?

·
Registered
15 Posts
mongrel, sounds like a hell of a deal on your 06. I want to change the exhaust and a flip up windshield. How do you like the flip up?
I like all the coverage I can get, so I like it. I can't compare it to the stock shield since I have never ridden with it. I may have to put the stock on just to compare them. The Trident carbon fiber exhaust sounds and looks AWESOME! However, if I were shopping now, I would look at the Two Brothers single can unit. My son had a 2 Bro on his ZX6R and it was nice. You ever hit the Blueridge Parkway? Maybe we can meet up and ride sometime. You could check out the later model handlebars and see if you think they are worth the investment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Making plans to head to the mountains this year, haven't been riding up there in a few years. Not too big on the parkway since the speed limit is 45 and every rubber neck is blocking the road. There are some great roads just off the parkway, #8 around Stuart VA and Squirrel Spur near Meadows of Dan.

I've got to get a higher windshield, as far as the exhaust, I work for a company that sells motorcycle LED's. We have also developed an exhaust system for the Can Am Spyder, we might try it on the Sprint. I'll keep you up to date on how well that works. I really like the way the 2 Brothers looks though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hit US 421 and go. The Snake is in Shady Valley Tennessee and its much better than the Tail of the Dragon. Take your time. Look through the corner!
After the snake, keep going all the way into Kentucky and its just an awesome ride the whole way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts