Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad / awesome are magnets?

I would like a Tank Bag, but I'm not sure how bad the scratching can be from Magnet versions? Any problems?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The magnets are sewn into pockets or ears on the bag so it is very much like a strap bag.

Both of the types will destroy your paint if you put the bags on a very dirty tank, they won't if it is nicely clean... same goes for the underside of the bag.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I use a clear protective sheet of plastic for tank on trips...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've generally had really good experiences with magnetic tank bags. Much easier to take on and off. Only problem I ever had was when I brought my tank bag to work and put it on the floor. It picked up a staple and I didn't notice it. When I put it back on the bike, the staple was still then and when I took it off the next time, it left a small gouge in the paint. I've since learned to always verify there's nothing on the bottom of the bag before I put it on the bike. I still wouldn't switch to straps myself.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The triumph bag comes with a god-awfull killed half-pig skin to go over your tank with velcro and click connectors all over it - hides the tank completely, even with the bag off. UGLY piece of kit - which is why I returned mine without putting it on the whole way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've used/use both but my go-to bag is stapped on. It's a Nelson-Rigg and has a thick protective rubber base to help protect and I've found it does a good job. My Cortech magnetic is handy but it's impossible to avoid surface scratching. My thoughts are if you use a tankbag a lot, you're probably going to get some surface scratching.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I've got a magnetic bag but have always used straps on it when using on the Bonnie. Reason being that the elevated gas cap on the bonnie allows air to get under the magnetic flaps and the bag will fly off at speed. Ask me how I know.

BUT... I saw that Newbonneville.com is now offering a lie-flat gas cap which I've requested for Fathers' Day. When it comes, I plan to go for a spin without the straps on the tank bag.

Will let you know how that works out. Looking forward to losing the ugly orange bungee cord I've been using the past few years.

P

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a magnetic bag but have always used straps on it when using on the Bonnie. Reason being that the elevated gas cap on the bonnie allows air to get under the magnetic flaps and the bag will fly off at speed. Ask me how I know.

BUT... I saw that Newbonneville.com is now offering a lie-flat gas cap which I've requested for Fathers' Day. When it comes, I plan to go for a spin without the straps on the tank bag.

Will let you know how that works out. Looking forward to losing the ugly orange bungee cord I've been using the past few years.

P

Sounds like a tall story... how do you know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts