Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....do I package up my K2F and ship it off to England for refurbishing?

Or.....do I drop the bucks down on a new Joe Hunt unit?

The bike runs, but not vey well at anyting over 25C. Considering where I live, that would mean crummy running and short trips from mid May to end of September. :(

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Surely there must be through the classic clubs be someone who does rebuild locally. I know here in New Zealand there are people and they get completely rewired armatures from Australia. I think search around a little. I have recently had mine rebuilt completely and it almost cost my arm and the leg with two nuts on.

One thing is sure make very sure whoever works on it is trustworthy and know what that are doing.

The first time round was done elsewhere, second time was locally, and when it was striped I could see why I always battle to start it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try Doug Wood in PA. He's an electrical engineer, a rider with numerous britbikes, and very experienced with rebuilding mags.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surely there must be through the classic clubs be someone who does rebuild locally. I know here in New Zealand there are people and they get completely rewired armatures from Australia. I think search around a little. I have recently had mine rebuilt completely and it almost cost my arm and the leg with two nuts on.

One thing is sure make very sure whoever works on it is trustworthy and know what that are doing.

The first time round was done elsewhere, second time was locally, and when it was striped I could see why I always battle to start it.
I thought the mag had a good gong over by a local guy, but turns out he didn't really do much. TO ship back and forth to the UK from Canada is not a big deal as most of my Norton parts came from there anyways. I found it was actually less money and faster, if you can believe that. I LIKE that SRM offers a 2 year warranty, and I know the job will be done to a high standard. Also, shipping rate tot he UK are not much more than shipping into the USA. Why that is I have no idea.....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Greaser, off which bike is the mag and what is the voltage of the bike?

I believe a good test is to use a good second hand plug and break off the outer plug gap adjustor, when spinning the mag by hand there should be a strong blue spark that can arc to the side of the plug

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Greaser, off which bike is the mag and what is the voltage of the bike?

I believe a good test is to use a good second hand plug and break off the outer plug gap adjustor, when spinning the mag by hand there should be a strong blue spark that can arc to the side of the plug
It is on my 58 Norton. I am 99.9999% sure it is the condenser inside. It is OK when it is cool outside, but once it gets to 25C or so and above, it gets hard to start (sometimes it won't!) and misfires under load. Also, it always seem to want more advance even though the timing is spot on I've checked it a dozen times with my degree wheel. As far as I know, the mag has not been part since our family has owned the bike, which would 40 years this summer.

I bodged the mag up with an external automotive capacitor just to ride it through September and October but I need a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
What is the voltage ??????????????? 6 or 12 volt. Have you checked the spark?

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the voltage ??????????????? 6 or 12 volt. Have you checked the spark?
Voltage? It is irrelevant. Mag's are not connected to the wiring circuit.
All signs point to a faulty condenser.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Voltage? It is irrelevant. Mag's are not connected to the wiring circuit.
All signs point to a faulty condenser.
Well then replace the freaking condenser, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS.

Well that depends, I understand that my bike is 6 volt making it difficult to replace the mag and dynamo with a new modern replacement and that, is what I am trying to get across. As that may be a better option. Well carry on then.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well then replace the freaking condenser, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS.

Well that depends, I understand that my bike is 6 volt making it difficult to replace the mag and dynamo with a new modern replacement and that, is what I am trying to get across. As that may be a better option. Well carry on then.

HEY NO NEED TO BE A WAXED COTTON BOY!! THIS AIN'T BRITBIKE.COM!!!!

I said "magneto" not "mag-dyno". I appreciate your help and concern, but I am well aware of what I am dealing with.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then go do what you were going to do anyway. You already know all about it and have a plan in mind so why bother asking?
First off, I diagnosed the problem last fall.
Secondly, I know what equipment my bike has.
Thirdly, I am looking for opinions from anybody who has run both of these magnetos.

Your lack of contribution has been noted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Greaser -

I took your question as more of an open ended query about what to do about a duff mag. Anybody going through the trouble of taking a mag apart should have the armature rewound because of the tendency of the old varnish to absorb moisture and lose it's insulative properties. It can also "grow" and then break the fine wire internally or rub against the housing. The capacitor which is part of the armature assembly as you know should be changed out at the same time. In the past there have been questions raised about the quality of replacement capacitors used on rebuilds sent to the UK, but this was maybe 5 years ago. Check Bob Kizer's site. The choice of a capacitor is not trivial.

Doug Wood, the person mentioned in my previous post, knows about these issues. He worked with Perry Gerhart before he died. Perry was "the" lucas mag wizard among many other talents.

There is another guy in the northwest USA - Mark Siebert - (Matchless Mark) - who is also supposed to be very good but I have no first-hand experience with him.

I used to send my armatures to England for rewinding but then had the capacitor put in and reassembly done by Perry. He also remagnetized it and turned down the slip ring on a lathe once it was put back on the armature shaft so the brush would not bounce. Doug does this stuff also.

My opinion is to keep with the stock magneto and save some money. It has lasted 50 years so that ain't bad.

So anyway I was trying to be helpful in my first post, maybe not so much in my second post. Please no more private messages OK? Peace.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey Greaser, sorry I was trying to help and maybe learn at the same time. Well seeing you know what to do, get it done and let us know how it works out.

But please no more private message, even though it is a lovely summer hear I am starting to shake rattle and roll. PEACE BROTHER, PEACE MAN, COOLIT.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp...the Joe Hunt magneto pn# 1278 is on its way.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Cost & picture?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts