Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

421 - 423 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mr 72, Bonnevilles have come with a bias front/radial rear since at least 2006. I don't know about the latest but my 2010 had a stock bias ply front/radial rear. It handled great. I switched to sport demons and put bias ply on both ends and its not that great. I am going to figure out how to get a 4 inch rim on the rear and put a fatter radial on the rear as soon as I can afford it.

So you aren't really mismatching anything, just upping the sizes a bit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FWIW, the Conti Road Attack 3 are available in OEM sizing from americanmototire.com.
$223 shipped for both.

In reading through this thread, I'm a bit confused as to why some want to mount any bias-ply tire on our mag-wheel bikes (looks?). It seems like a giant backward step, like putting old-school bias tires on a modern car. I'm old enough to remember when radials appeared, both on cars and bikes. The differences were amazing (especially regarding cars). I had a mildly rodded '69 Chevy Malibu at the time and it was transformed!

I mess about with old Honda sport bikes (VFR, pre-radials) and our tire choices are very limited with the classic 16" front wheel. My go-to tire choice is the Bridgestone BT-45; a very good bias tire, but if I could correctly fit radials, I sure would.

One of my major buying decisions when I was shopping for my Bonneville was the 17" radials. I first rode the T100 and, while I like and appreciate the retro look, I didn't care for the old-school road feel. Different strokes — looks trump function for some, and just the opposite for others.

JOE in IL
V4 Dreams (dot com)
Just installed the Contis on my 2014 mag wheel. Been on two 250 + mile runs and they are excellent IMHO. I wanted to keep the stock sizes as I am very comfortable with the handling.

421 - 423 of 423 Posts