Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

381 - 400 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
have now completed my version of Blkbny's setup.

Metzeler Tourance rear, Metzeler Z8 Interact front. Both stock sizes.

just fitted the Z8 front, this is a delightful tyre which gives a lovely smooth transition through lean angles, very light and precise. The combo with the Tourance on the rear is very stable yet with quick and sensitive steering. I'm very pleased with the result!

Tourance

how do you find the handling of the rear overall,
would you recommend it for mostly city/highway use?

I like the way that Tourance looks! Just so hard to decide :confused:

·
Registered
498 Posts
how do you find the handling of the rear overall,
would you recommend it for mostly city/highway use?

I like the way that Tourance looks! Just so hard to decide :confused:
I find handling of Tourance rear really good. Good grip, predictable, good grip in wet too. Tread is very deep, I suspect rubber is quite soft, which is why it grips so well. Haven't ridden enough miles to estimate tire life.

yes, would recommend Tourance for city /highway use.

Tourance Next is more like a road going tire, and it is dual compound on rear I believe. I'd say that is a good alternative. I may try that next time, or may stick with Tourance ... we'll see!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Now that Continental makes the Road Attack2 in the stock rear size, and a match for the front Road Attack2, what are the reasons, pros and cons, to use the Trail Attack2 vs Road Attack2?

I checked with someone I know about what tires they are using and what sort of mileage they are getting. They are using stock Metzeler radials and getting 13,000 MILES on the front and 11,000 MILES on the rear!!:surprise: And she tours a lot on her bike!

Yeah I'm at 12k on the front original metz (although it's kinda on the wrong side of legal now) and I got 6k out of the rear. I've done all sorts of riding and don't generally hang about. I'm about 100kg (220lbs) geared up. I have done about half of those miles in foreign countries so the opposite road camber probably helped spread the wear and make them last a bit longer though.

Overall I've been really happy with the factory metzelers, don't really get all the hatred towards them.

Anyone run a full set of Battlax's? I've got one on the rear but I don't think it works well with the metz up front. Both tyres need changing now so I'm looking for options.

·
Registered
71 Posts
nearly 10000 kms later

Sales season is here so I think I will purchase my next set of tires as I don't think my rear stocker will last the season. I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Activ. 110/80 up front and 130/90 in the rear. Using Madhatta's calcs, these two together would raise the rear end, in relation to the front, by a whopping 2mm if I am right .

I have a centre stand (OEM). Has anyone who has tried a 130/90 in the back also had a centre stand to clear? I don't want to remove it because it's useful for chain lubing on longer trips.
This summer I went on a six-week road trip with my first set of Michelin Pilot Activs. I had about 88 pounds worth of gear divided between my tail bag, panniers and tank bag. I covered about 9577 kms (5951 miles) of mainly twisty roads in Alberta, British Columbia, Washington State and Oregon. Riding was "spirited".. as in I was trying desperately to keep up with my buddy on his 1200 Ducati Multistrada (my chicken strips are only about 1/16" wide right now). The only issues I had with performance involved the suspension, not the tires.

Wear:

After nearly 10,000 kms the rear tire is starting to show some wear and squaring. It is hard to locate the wear indicators on these tires because there are no indicator markings on the sidewall. Once I found them, I used my depth guage to find that there is about 2 mm of tread left above the wear indicators, 3 mm on regular tread. The rear will likely have to be replaced next summer. The front shows almost no wear.

The increased tire size is nice in two respects:

-Speedometer reading is about 2 km/h shy of my actual speed (based on Garmin), which is a significant improvement.
-Bike seems more responsive to my movements (some call it dippy, but I like it).

Disadvantages of increased tire size:

-As mentioned previously, the bike leans over SIGNIFICANTLY on the side-stand.
-Although the center stand is not in the way of the larger rear tire when it is up, it does not lift the rear tire off of the road when it is down. Oiling the chain on the road has to be done by rolling the bike.

Performance:

-The Activs handle road cracks very well. They don't get stuck in them.
-They feel very solid in curves, and held the road well when I experienced rear-end wobble due to high speed cornering with poor weight distribution.

Will definitely keep on with these until the front wears out. After that I have to decide whether to install a Scottoiler or go back to the smaller tire size.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I find handling of Tourance rear really good. Good grip, predictable, good grip in wet too. Tread is very deep, I suspect rubber is quite soft, which is why it grips so well. Haven't ridden enough miles to estimate tire life.

yes, would recommend Tourance for city /highway use.

Tourance Next is more like a road going tire, and it is dual compound on rear I believe. I'd say that is a good alternative. I may try that next time, or may stick with Tourance ... we'll see!
Two seasons now on my Tourance rear and M7RR front pairing, both in OEM sizing.

Very pleased with the set, I'll probably replace with the same in the future if they're available.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Two seasons now on my Tourance rear and M7RR front pairing, both in OEM sizing.

Very pleased with the set, I'll probably replace with the same in the future if they're available.
I got the idea from you Blkbny, Tourance rear and in my case Z8 roadtec front, stock sizes. All Metzeler, performs like an intended pair ... great tip!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Another 'thumbs up' for the Michelin Pilot Activ in 110/80 F and 130/90 R.

Once I adapted to a little different turn-in feel from stock they've been a very confidence inspiring tire setup.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I got the idea from you Blkbny, Tourance rear and in my case Z8 roadtec front, stock sizes. All Metzeler, performs like an intended pair ... great tip!
Try flipping your Hagons now!

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone tried oversized tyres? If so how badly do they affect handling/speedo?

these are Avon Roadriders 140/80-17 & 120/90-17

These Battlax BT45s look marginally smaller but not sure what size they are

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone riding 140/80 and 110/80 tyres?

I think they look nice and balanced but don't want to spend £200 to find my bike rides like ****

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone riding 140/80 and 110/80 tyres?

I think they look nice and balanced but don't want to spend £200 to find my bike rides like ****
I am riding a similar (comparable?) setup.
Have recently upgraded to 120/70 R17 michelin pilot road 2 front and 150/70 R17 metzeler tourance next rear.

For the rear, in theory, 150/70 should have a tire height of 105 mm (150x0.7 = 105) and stock 130/80 should have a tire height of 104 mm (130x0.8 = 104). Therefore I thought they both would not change height by much.

That was where things were different in practice. When I stacked the tires next to each other, they differ in height by about an inch. This is visible on the bike and in the way it tilts slightly more on the side stand. The front seems comparable though (84 vs 88 mm tire height)

The handling has improved. I think the bike turns in better and is much nicer thru corners. The contact patch on a straight road is about 1.5 inch thick. Surprisingly the front has a bigger patch, 2.5 inch big. Tire pressures might impact significantly. I might want to try increasing the front pressure a little more and dial out the rear pressure.

It might feel even more balanced then.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It does thanks. Is it not worrying that the front tyre has much more contact patch? You would imagine it should be the other way round?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
a 120-70-17 radial specs a 3.5" wide rim + a 150-70-17 rear a 4" minimum rim, but bias of those sizes are correct! your bike your incorrect fitment!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I went with the Bridgestones at 140/80 and 110/80. Can't say I notice the bike riding any worse for it

Need to get the wheels powder coated at some point

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure where we are on this thread, but sitting here waiting for a reply to a question I posted in another thread and figured id thow in my 2 cents.

Replaced the front and rear tires on Ella the Scrambled Bonnie with Shinko 705's front and rear

120/70 front
150/70 rear

I can say without question the bike handles VERY well on pavement (and on dirt). Dives into turns and puts a smile on my face everytime. Makes me twist the throttle a little more than I probably should.

Now for some gratuitous photos

Attachments

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
good lookin bike, were the stones radial as the generally ride better. the avon roadriders i put on 120-70 +150-70 for sidecar use definitely ride harder IMO, they have a higher load rating + generally taller sidewalls ride softer but flex decreases sporty handling

381 - 400 of 423 Posts