Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2012 SE has always felt a bit " twitchy" on the 4+ Lane highways 70 to 80 mph. Don't notice it in curves. I read slot about tires before I got my Avon Road Riders. The bike might be a touch more "twitchy" in the above-mentioned situation but are so much better in all other situations that I'm sold the are the best tires for that bike. One thing I discovered in my research is that almost all case of "death wobble" on those bikes were all on bikes that gone to Thruxton length rear shocks. My 2¢.. check your SAG or get a different, if underperforming, tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most likely your steering bearings need an adjustment. If it seems like there is nothing you can do to just keep the bike going straight = steering bearings!

I should start by saying I love my 2012 Bonneville (base model, mag wheels) and it's been the perfect commuter and back road bomber, always reliable and typically a blast to ride. My problem is the highway manners though; I feel like I'm fighting the bike at anything above 60mph. It feels twitchy and like it just wants to jump around the lane. I've checked all the bearings in the front end, torqued to spec, done everything I can think of. Is this just the expected behavior of the smaller 17" wheels?

I don't remember by old Dayton 500 being this way, but that was a whole different ride.

Am I just being a wimp?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I should start by saying I love my 2012 Bonneville (base model, mag wheels) and it's been the perfect commuter and back road bomber, always reliable and typically a blast to ride. My problem is the highway manners though; I feel like I'm fighting the bike at anything above 60mph. It feels twitchy and like it just wants to jump around the lane. I've checked all the bearings in the front end, torqued to spec, done everything I can think of. Is this just the expected behavior of the smaller 17" wheels?

I don't remember by old Dayton 500 being this way, but that was a whole different ride.

Am I just being a wimp?
It’s tires, tire pressure or forks
I’ve even had bent wheels without squirming.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Okay I'll put my foot in this one . 2010 pre canbus Thruxton bought secondhand very low mileage . Stock wheels and tyres standard settings on suspension , speed wobble above 90 mph . Stiffened suspension wobbled only occasionally . Pirelli Sport Demons again small improvement . Continental Radials problem solved . Right not 17" front wheel . So chasing handling improvements . Hagon rear shocks , Matris F15K cartridge fork internals , and by far the best mod Talon hubs with supermoto width rims to run 120/70 front 160/60 rear . Michelin radials ( not newest model sports version ) handles like a modern sports bike confidence inspiring stability up to at least 120 mph ( GPS speedo ) .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you change the fork tube setting by lowering the bike?
My bike is a 1996 900 Trophy. Yeah I know it's not a Bonneville. I've put a 100,000 miles on the bike and have tried many settings. Years ago I lowered the front end by lifting the fork tubes up into the triple clamps about 3/4 inch. It handled so much lighter and easier around town and on the freeway. However when I took it above 100mph the back end would wag its tail like a dog. I hadn't figured it out at the time that changing the front end was the problem, I was given all kinds of advice on the fix. Tires, rear shocks, panniers on or off, top box on or off. Finally I went back to the stock fork tube settings and the problem was fixed. Stable all the way up to 130 mph. There is an old youtube video on wobble and weave made by Dunlop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lot of good advice about tires for the Bonneville. Honestly, I had never thought about changing. 99% of my riding is on the same highway every day on the way to and from work. I just know what parts of the highway are going to be interesting.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Am I just being a wimp?
Sorry, late to the party. I have a 2014 Bonneville, base and mag wheels and its highway manners were exactly like you described. Twitchy, is putting it mildly. It felt like a fricken pogo stick on every little road deformation and would hunt for a straight track to follow I am also running the avon roadriders front and back. I solved it with new suspension front and back. Night and day difference. The bike is planted and solid. I have put about 10-15k on the new suspension and it was worth every penny. I did the traxxion dynamic AR-25 rod damper kit for the front and YSS Z-362 rear shocks. What suspension do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry, late to the party. I have a 2014 Bonneville, base and mag wheels and its highway manners were exactly like you described. Twitchy, is putting it mildly. It felt like a fricken pogo stick on every little road deformation and would hunt for a straight track to follow I am also running the avon roadriders front and back. I solved it with new suspension front and back. Night and day difference. The bike is planted and solid. I have put about 10-15k on the new suspension and it was worth every penny. I did the traxxion dynamic AR-25 rod damper kit for the front and YSS Z-362 rear shocks. What suspension do you have?
Suspension is all stock. I've been contemplating upgrading if I keep the bike for a while, it's just an expense I wasn't really keen on just yet. I'm kind of leaning towards upgrading lately though.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Am I just being a wimp?
Do you have a windshield That could cause buffeting at high speed If you do try removing it, if not good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Suspension is all stock. I've been contemplating upgrading if I keep the bike for a while, it's just an expense I wasn't really keen on just yet. I'm kind of leaning towards upgrading lately though.
Yeah, I hear you. I wasn't crazy excited about spending the money either. I ended up selling another bike I had little use for so I didn't really feel like I was actually spending money.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts