Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the 20" screen from Madstad. I won't use it much, but I like having options. I've read the Triumph one is just too short.

Has any tried one on their new Speedmaster? Comments?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Ya know, I just looked at the madstad website a few days ago to see if there were any offerings for the speedmaster and didn't see any. This must be pretty new. I will say that if the madstad makes as much of an improvement over the stock screen on your speedy as it did on my tiger 800, you'll be very pleased!

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I received my Madstad screen last week. I bought the 20" version as suggested on their website. I am 6'.

The engineering of this screen and mounting system is very good. You can tell that a lot of R&D went into its' development. The brackets that hold the screen are very adjustable both in height and angle. This is really a plus. Madstad suggests about a 60 degree angle, give or take.

After mounting the screen, I could tell right away that it was going to be too short for me. I adjusted it into its' full height position and I was still looking way over it quite a bit. I like my view to be just above the windshield. The buffeting was pretty strong on my helmet. The wind was hitting the top of my helmet, but I noticed that most of the problem was from wind coming up and around the tank.

Shortly after my test ride, I called Madstad and ordered the 22" shield and the Lower Deflector kit.

I tried the original windshield on a few more rides including one with my wife. She was getting clobbered on the back seat with the wind hitting her in the face. I took one ride with the wind blowing pretty good outside and it was just unacceptable. My eyeballs wanted to leave their sockets and I had to return and take the windshield off.

YESTERDAY...

UPS arrived with the 22" shield and new lowers. The lowers mount to the bracket of the windshield. Again, a very well engineered piece of work. I mounted the lowers and took the bike out with the original screen. The buffeting was totally gone. I later replaced the 20" screen with the 22" one and took it out on the same stretch of road. It was near perfect. At 70mph, I was in a complete bubble and I was able to have my visor up the whole time. It was as good or even better than my old Road King with lowers.

I hope to go out with the wife today and get her POV and will post back with some pictures.

TLDR...Very good adjustable screen, but you need to get the lowers to make it work.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just came back from a 25 mile ride with my wife on the back. The wind was blowing about 15 mph. We rode about 15 miles on the highway with both a tailwind and a headwind. At speeds up to 70 mph, there was no buffeting at all. She said it was perfect for her with the wind going over her helmet and completely in the bubble. I was able to keep my visor up most of the time. One thing to note...I have a Corbin seat that raises the passenger portion a bit from the stock seat. My wife is 5'8".

Looks are subjective. I prefer a bike without a windshield for most of the riding I do these days. But, if you are looking for an easy removable windshield that does a great job, I would highly recommend this shield with the lowers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
madstad windshield

Those can't be the stock bars on your bike are they? Where did you get them from?

wbarnier

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Blu - Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will be taking a close look at the Madstad for my Speedmaster. One question: How easy was it to install on your bike? How long did it take?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Blu - Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I will be taking a close look at the Madstad for my Speedmaster. One question: How easy was it to install on your bike? How long did it take?
You have to install 2 brackets on the front fork. They give a pretty good instruction sheet on how to do this. Very easy and did not take very long.

However, the instructions do not show how to mount the shield to the included brackets. They just give you a bag of screws, nuts, and different washers. I had to call them for more info and look very closely at the pictures on their website. The same goes for the lower deflectors. It's not rocket science to figure out though. It just would have been nice for them to include something.

Once the fork brackets are installed, the shield is a pretty simple quick release.

·
Registered
123 Posts
that windshield looks pretty good and the price ain't too bad. i think i paid around $400.00 for the one i got at the dealer last spring. there weren't many accessory options for the sm at that time. i hate to take such a great loss just to get the pop off feature. i am wanting to get the floorboards next, and maybe put another windshield on hold for a while.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I purchased the Triumph windshield with the bike and it doesn't do a good job at deflecting the wind off my face and helmet. The wind hits me right in the face which isn't much help on the highway. For $553 installed by the dealer it should do a better job. If you are a shorter person this might work for you. I also am looking for a new windshield and this might be it. I had a Triumph Thunderbird with lowers and it had great wind protection.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't use mine much, but the few times this winter that I put it on it was perfect. Again, I have the 22" with lowers. I am 6', 32" inseam. No buffeting at all with the lowers attached. The best part is that it is quick release unlike the Triumph shield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Madstad Windshield

I just came back from a 25 mile ride with my wife on the back. The wind was blowing about 15 mph. We rode about 15 miles on the highway with both a tailwind and a headwind. At speeds up to 70 mph, there was no buffeting at all. She said it was perfect for her with the wind going over her helmet and completely in the bubble. I was able to keep my visor up most of the time. One thing to note...I have a Corbin seat that raises the passenger portion a bit from the stock seat. My wife is 5'8".

I had the same experience as you, even have a Corbin dual seat. I'm shorter at 5'7” but have only a 29” inseam so I ride tall. I bought the 18” and it is just barely OK for me when raised to the maximum but my wife gets lots of wind in the back seat, and she is 5' 6”.

Even had the same experience with the instructions, pretty much a bag of screws that are more or less self explanatory.

Kind of interested if you still have the 20” and would be interested in selling? That might get the wind over my wife's head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I waited too long to do that. I'm also thinking of just buying the 22 since with it all the way down it will only be 2 inches taller than the 18 I have all the way up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Slightly off topic.............

I really like the rear bag you have on your Speedmaster JJC1957 - could you tell me what is is and who makes it?

Cheers
Gary

1 - 20 of 33 Posts