Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright fellas, ol' yeller has decided to change directions on the tail tidy. :hammer: She's decided she wants that mad dr kit that I purchased fer a CBR 600rr a few months ago fer dirt cheap(luckily I haven't sold it yet!). :-D What I need now, is some professional help from some of you guys that have mounted these suckers! :wink: Any kinda wiring diagram I can find is sh*t. I need sumt'n simple enough that my simple mind can figure out! :razz: If anyone has any kinda color coded diagram, or remembers what color wires go to what, would you please, please help the cheapster? I know Kuhlka purchased one fer a CBR and mounted to his speedy, so Kuhlka maybe you can help me? :wink: But I would figure the wire coloring should be the same, so anyone that has mounted one please help me!!!

ps. I'm make'n my own undertray fer it thanks to satansk9 fer some pics he sent, and I'll just measure up the plastic that I took off, and it shouldn't be a prob! D*mn it, I knew I started sumt'n by mess'n with this thang, I can't stop!!! :hammer: :-D

[ This message was edited by: cheapbastard on 2006-11-11 14:26 ]

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more thang fellas, any of you guys with one mounted to 05+, would ya'll mind git'n a few pics of how the tail light mounts to the subframe(the more pics the better)? :wink: Just want'n to git a good idea of the mtg bracket I need to make! :-D

[ This message was edited by: cheapbastard on 2006-11-11 14:59 ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Cheap bastard, is that the Mad Dr. fender eliminator kit from British Customs? If so and you receive some additional info, could you pass it on?. I purchased one for my 06 S3 and I thought I would try to install it myself. I did not realize it may be challenging. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Re Mad Doc flashers, forget the included resitors. Just wire in the flashers normally + and - (instead of the OEM ones) and use a LED relay.
Costs a bit more but then you won't have a spaghetti junction.

PS build quality of the Mad Docs is a bit wanting to put it VERY mildly.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hey Cheap,
I sent a reply to your PM, review MrZed's small writeup; this thread stood out to me in the earlier days when the Maddoctor kit first reared its head, if this is a route you wish to go with give her a shot but the way I read it involves cutting your factory connector off and splicing wires and that turned me off.

As I mentioned British customs has the most complete and easiest kit I've found in my limited search. I didnt use their resistor block as the flasher unit I got prior from Newspeed.com worked perfectly.

This is my quick and easy reply but if you can hold out for a bit I'll get pics of what I did on mine and hopefully it'll help you out.

Get in touch with britishcustoms.com and see if they can sell you that OEM wire connector from the S3 to the Maddoc unit, it'll save on the cutting and splicing for all but the turnsignals for which you can use the wires from your now removed orig turnsignals indicators, much easier route than cutting your OEM stuff...hang tight

[ This message was edited by: rudebwoy85 on 2006-11-11 17:22 ]

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks rude, you are a huge help!!! I will git in contact with british customs and see if they will sell me just the connector. As fer where I bought my MD kit, I got it off of ebay fer a whopp'n $35! :-D A guy bought it fer his CBR600rr then got discouraged with it, never put it on, and put it on ebay with a start'n bid of $25 with no reserve! I was the only bidder and had to pay $10 shipping. Mine just came with the light kit, and US license plate mount and that huge flasher box you guys are talk'n 'bout. I'm make'n my own undertray at work, and brackets to mount the light to the subframe.

[ This message was edited by: cheapbastard on 2006-11-11 18:01 ]

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and btw FINAO, whatever info I receive personally, I will be more than happy to pass on. I will take some pics along the way on mine also, and send those to ya! :wink: :-D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I made a custom mount. I bought a CB1000RR Mad Doctor tail tidy a while back. The mount was totally wrong for the bike so I just got out the aluminum and went to town.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have a Mad Dr. kit on my '06 but I could not figure it out and called my son-in-law over to wire it for me. He is Mr.Wizard when it come to this stuff and I couldn't tell you what he did -it is a big pack of ***** taped up under the seat but it works fine and CB he is very cheap labor! (a six-pack will usually do it)) Another excuse to head on down!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cheap,

I have one - personally wish I didn't sometimes as it leaks water. Anyhow, I'll take some pics tomorrow after my surf and post 'em. I'll see if I can scan the wiring diagram I put together as well 'cause the one in the box was a Jugf**k - it is pretty close but I did a bit of last-minute changes AND the MD bastards might have changed the wiring color between your prod date and mine.

Do you have the front turn signals as well? If so you need only one of the transducers rather than the two they try to sell you.

Biff.

·
Registered
646 Posts
On 2006-11-12 00:05, MrBiff2You wrote:
Cheap,

...I have one - personally wish I didn't sometimes as it leaks water.
Biff.
Uh oh, does that mean we had better employ a bit of latex caulking around the light/indicator area for reliabilities sake?

When ridden in the rain/wet there will definitely be the rooster tail to put up with and this assembly WILL be constantly showered with water and road gunk.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks Rude

Gee, I wish I had thought of that! But...

1 - It never rains in SoCal. Have you not heard the song? Anyhow, if you ride in the wet out here you might as well just shoot yourself as the cagers are bad enough in the dry.

2 - The risk of breakage while taking the delicate peice of Italian jewelry apart to repair some other engineer's inadequacy does not justify my covering them with tape/plastic when I wash the bike.

The comment was an editorial on THEM not sealing an electric component. I do apologize and wil endeavor to be more clear in the future!

·
Registered
59 Posts
CB - Message me if you still need some guidance and I'll talk you through it...I might even have some pics of when I did mine...and of course I can always take some of how it looks now.

Cheers...

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I used a 9volt battery to test each wire until I figured out which pair was which...

Hey! That made me realize I've got those waterproof connectors I can use to finish that stupid tail light/blinkers mess of wiring I've got in my undertail still. Time to get the wire cutters back out!

·
Registered
60 Posts
cheap bastard

sometimes it pays not to be so cheap. I got a mad dr s3 kit from british-customs.com as a gift and tried to install it myself...needless to say, I blew the fuse trying to frankenstein the thing together (apparently the '05-'06 wiring is slightly different from the '07) and I boxed the thing up and paid the dealer $70 to figure it out. Probably the best $70 bucks I ever spent - unless you count that time in Frankfurt- but, I digress. The resident wiring guru at the dealership had it sorted in about 20 minutes and the thing looks amazing! I wouldn't recommend fabricating anything for the bike, but I don't have the skills and am a recovering Ducati owner. Anyway, I'll take some picks and try to help.

p.s. - I tried getting help from the company in italy, but my italian was better than this guys english and I know about 5 words. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts