Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all.
I had a single-headlight Trophy 1200, but foolishly sold it, bought a FJ1200, then a Fazer1000, now I've returned to the Trophy with a later (1998) twin-headlight 1200.

So all is well then ;-)

But this bike is taller than my old one - So has anyone used longer dogbones to lower the ride? My new steed already has it's rear tyre on the deck when on the centre stand, but I think the dog bones are original - is your rear tyre off the ground when on the centre stand please? (If it's already been lowered I'm in trouble!!)

Questions aside, it's nice to be back :) First ride this morning was in the wind & rain, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

Martin.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When the bike is lowered and on the centerstand the tire is higher off the ground than when the suspension is stock. I had mine lowered for a short time and could not (without help) get it on the centerstand. I can get it on the centerstand with the stock set up and the tire is still off the ground an inch or 2. Mine is a 1998 1200.

The 1998 is easy to lower and costs practically nothing. No need to buy any type of lowering kit. Maybe someone can chime in with a link on how to do it. It has been years since I lowered (and returned) mine and can not remember where I found the info.

Glad you are back on a Trophy. I never figured when I bought mine that I would have it 8 years. I've never kept anything (except my wife) that long.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Trophy can be lowered by turning the eccentrics that tension the chain. There are a few problems with this method but only minor one such as inserting spacers for the inner rear guard and you need to watch the chain contact on the chain stop. May also need to slide the front forks up through the tree to level the bike. Does make a difference in stability and improves the balance. Other option is the $400 replacement dogbones from the Scottish blokes. :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duh! I forgot the concentrics. (Been through so many rides since my last Trophy - not only the beasts I mentioned in my 1st post).

I'll whip them round.

I'll def drop the forks too - you have to compensate to keep the front from getting too light. (Though I smile as I say that, having just sold my Fazer1000!)

Thanks for the memory-jolt ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well - The deed is done & the rear of the bike is now lower. I'll drop the forks later, before taking her out for a spin.

I thought it might interest other short-ar*e members to hear my moaning / observations:

1. It would be easier with a mate to help!
2. I had to 'modify' the rear brake caliper with a hacksaw!! (To clear a lug from the eccentric in it's new upside-down position).
3. Actually the biggest pain was loosening the front mounts on the hugger. The 12mm bolt heads need a small spanner or socket to reach in, & the nuts on the ends of the bolts are 13mm & felt like they'd never been off & had not been improved by 6 years of road crud & salt on them. (No such problems on the older single-headlight Trophy - no hugger!)
4. I found that using longer (30mm) rear hugger bolts, spaced out under the hugger by two nuts, gave sufficient clearance between the hugger & the tyre.
5. No way can I get the bike onto it's centre-stand unaided anymore :cry:
6. On balance, I suspect just using longer dog bones would be better - les mods required & centre-stand probably would be usable.

Still - I can get my tootsies down now ;-)

Martin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Martin,

I have also just bought a Trophy 1200, in fact you have already seen it... It was my Brothers which you viewed at the end of November.

Small world!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Greengoblin,

Is that the Red one, the Green one or the Blue one?? I saw as many as possible that week ;-)

The one I've bought is 'Champayne' apparently!

Maybe see you at the Dashwood Arms (Piddington, BUCKS) on 20th Jan (Bike/trike show) or sooner if you fancy a little Oxfordshire run I'm putting together for the Yamaha Diversion Club (http://groups.msn.com/YamahaDiversions/ ) on 7th January :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Martin,

It was the green one, my bro lives in Essex.

As much as I am tempted by your offer I am desperatley trying to declutter the house, so have earmarked the next several weekends to tidy up the loft, garage and trips to the tip etc.

Thanks anyway, hopefully some time later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GreenGoblin: All our 'Over the Pond' brethren will now be even more convinced about how tiny the UK is - Small World, indeed ;-)

You're a lucky chap, GG ;-)

2999 miles on that green one. Amazing! Just a bit too much cash for me - well worth it, but I couldn't really afford it myself :cry:

Enjoy! ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts