Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sat on one of these at the Atlanta M-C Show and fell in love. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this machine? Your comments are requested.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sheepdog,

I don't have any personal knowledge of that particular machine. I did however purchase a brand new California III in 1989. I loved that machine and have many fond memories of it. I only sold it due to needing to raise a home loan deposit. They are a great bike with a beautiful V twin. 64 mpg on the open road too.

Thoroughly recommended!

Russ

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Never owned a Guzzi yet, but I will.... something about that 90 degree V-Twin sound .... sorta like a short block Chevy.

Went to one of the Guzzi rallys several yers ago ... and couldn't get over how dedicated the owners were to their machines. And the little West Virginia town along the Ohio River where these guys had held their rallys for several years was just as enthusiastic about the bikes, and the folks who rode them.

I will own a Guzzi before I quit riding.

Bob

PS - when Grebmrof gets back in town, I'll ask him to comment. He's owned at least 4-5 of these neat Italian bikes.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cost is $14,900, I think. It compares favorably to bikes of it's ilk...at least on paper. I really like to get the feedback from enthusiasts. Thats what really tells the story...

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Sheepdog-

The seat position and bars look very comfortable... comments on that, please.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Sheepdog,

Sorry, can't help you with the California, I also like the Guzzie's. A friend of mine inherited this '89 1000s off his brother, I want one too!!!

[ This message was edited by: ozbon on 2007-03-01 01:28 ]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the controls were just in the right places for me. Ordinarily, I would imagine this to create a feeling that I was getting blown off the back at speed, but with the windshield and legshields the comfy position should hold up. It is definitely a counterpoint to my rearset-equipped, Superbar handlebarred Bonnie. The footboards allow the rider to move his feet around and the heel/toe shifter lets one wear nicer footwear without putting a black mark on the toe. The clearance on the footboards is quite a bit higher than, say the HD Road King and decent lean angles look possible. I'm only going to be here in East Tennessee for one more year...I'd really like to have a tourer to go with my sportier T100...the riding up here is really good.

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you have a good dealer in the area, go for it. When I decided on the America I had been strongly considering the MG. They were going through the "darkest hour" of another financial transition and the Cali was having numerous recalls on it's new hydraulic valve train system. Bad times compounded by almost zero parts to dealers to make repairs and numerous long time dealers saying adios to MG.

Reading threads from several long time Guzzi owners indicate things are going in the right direction. Several are going for the new Norge, but the Cali is such a good bike and they have returned to the conventional valve train (good!). We have a new dealer in our area but I haven't stopped by yet. MG has excellent handling and performance and they use top grade suspension and brakes. So much good about the brand, I hope the current financial status continues to move them forward.

Good luck, I think it would be a cool stable mate for the T.

BobW

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
MG does make some nice looking bikes and you look good on Calf.

Gotta agree with BobW. Make sure you got a good dealer in the area.

Myself, would like to take a look at the Norge. But my local MG dealer doesn't carry any MG in stock. If you want to "look" at it he will be glad to order it if your ready to buy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I saw one yesterday for the first time when I stopped by the local dealer to pick up some main jets for the Bonnie. I was very impressed and a bit surprised that Moto Guzzi had done such a good job with the bike, and how well it hearkened back to their classic Ambassador and Eldorado's. Their earlier American was a visual disaster, and unloved for other reasons besides, but Guzzi knows how to build a great bike and this may turn out to be one of them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I rode a Breva 750 loaner for about 50 miles, and if I could only have one bike, and that was the one, I wouldn't be bummed out; I liked it... the handling the ride, the positions of everything, the sound...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've heard that the longitudinal crankshaft ,matched with shaft drive causes handling problems on the Guzzi's.

:-g

[ This message was edited by: MotoSayle on 2007-02-28 19:02 ]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Had a 1000SP Guzzi, cool bike for sure! What I didn't like was the oil filter is inside the oil pan, even the new motor on the Guzzi is the same. We have a dealer about ten miles from the house so I stopped in to see the new Norge, couldn't believe that you have to unscrew (three screws) a panel on the left side on the motor to check the oil. The owner was telling a customer that it wasn't that big of deal, it was only three screws. You'd think Guzzi would have made something better then that! The mechanic told me they bought some left over bikes from the factory (2004 last fall and from sitting one of them they had to replace the fuel injectors, he said you have to be real careful how you store the bike or you'll have trouble with them being such a small injector and at $400.00 each it'd pay to take the time to prep the bike for the winter. Ouch, that sounded like it was high to me, don't know only what he told me.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Not really .... you do feel the torque want to push a bit toward one side if you blip the throttle while stopped. Same holds true for BMW shaft drive twins .... the older BMW K bikes eliminated some/most of the torque reaction by spinning the clutch assembly opposite the direction of engine rotation.

If you rode a Guzzi and liked the bike, I believe you'd overlook the torque reaction. After just a short period of ownership, it'll be something you won't notice.

Re shaft drive - Newer Guzzi and BMW bikes have eliminated shaft jacking by using dual u joints and a radius rod in the shaft design (BMW = Paralever).

]PARALEVER INFORMATION

Bob

On 2007-02-28 19:02, MotoSayle wrote:
I've heard that the longitudinal crankshaft ,matched with shaft drive causes handling problems on the Guzzi's.

:-g
[/quote

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-03-01 08:22 ]

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Tell me this thing is a vertical twin so I don't have to exile you to BHO... Probably should anyway...

You look lovely btw.

[ This message was edited by: MA0458 on 2007-03-01 20:37 ]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah come on, Mare. I stuck with a twin...a vintage twin, at that. I'm wanting something that works better past 200 miles. My beloved Triumph doesn't answer...and the Sprint ST, though competent, is not my style. Besides, the Guzzi has a panache all it's own, don't you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
The Guzzi "shaft effect" goes away as soon as you learn to ride one. Sorta like learning not to shotgun the rear brake on a Bonneville!! In my opinion, Bonneville shines around town, and on tight country lanes. Not as good above 75 mph as a goose.

Guzzi is king on the highway, and any riding over 70. Or 2 up, unless you and the mrs. are real large folk. To me, Guzzi combines the reliability of BMW, torque of an HD. Before Triumph came out with the new oil tight Bonnies, there was little reason for me to own anything else besides a Guzzi. LUV em!

You can get plenty of advice/comments/info over at Wildguzzi.com .=http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0, and will find plenty of Triumph owners/fans over there as well

[ This message was edited by: guzzi on 2007-03-02 20:15 ]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts