Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

I have a ´16 thruxton 1200 R. Love the bike for many things but not its luggage hauling capabilities. I mostly ride for fun on the twisties or drive to work so most of the time it is not a problem but 3-4 times a year my wife and I go for weekendtrip and i need to carry something more than a back pack.
I fell in with SW Motech Blaze because i can remove most of the mount when not in use and retain the looks of the bike. I was very disappointed when I saw that you cant get one for my bike.
I suspect that the reason is the hump on the seat that prevents the use of velcrostraps.
Now my question:
Has anyone used the Blazes on a Thruxton by removing the painted part of the seat?
Or maybe by installing a twin seat?
Will the Blaze for the Speedtwin fit the Thruxton r?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have a 2016 Thruxton S and have a dual comfort seat I have a Venture rack on the back with a 25 ltr bag mounted on top of the rack I also made saddle bags supports for my throw over leather saddle bags and on top of my saddle bags I can throw a duffle bag, or my swag or anything else I need, my swag is great on long trips and when tied have a instant comfortable bed, it has a good self inflating mattress, a sleeping bag and a good pillow and its water proof, its like sleeping in y home bed, I do a lot of camping on the bike so saddle bags normally have cooking gear in one and other things in the other, I can also fit a small esky (ice box) in the bag on the back or straight on the rack the duffle bag is for clothes and what ever else I need to take, my bike is always ready for a quick get away..

Ashley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2016 Thruxton S and have a dual comfort seat I have a Venture rack on the back with a 25 ltr bag mounted on top of the rack I also made saddle bags supports for my throw over leather saddle bags and on top of my saddle bags I can throw a duffle bag, or my swag or anything else I need, my swag is great on long trips and when tied have a instant comfortable bed, it has a good self inflating mattress, a sleeping bag and a good pillow and its water proof, its like sleeping in y home bed, I do a lot of camping on the bike so saddle bags normally have cooking gear in one and other things in the other, I can also fit a small esky (ice box) in the bag on the back or straight on the rack the duffle bag is for clothes and what ever else I need to take, my bike is always ready for a quick get away..

Ashley
Thank you Ashman. Do you have pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
With the dual seat you can fit pretty much any rear bag you want. I used a Motodry Seat Bag, which has straps under the seat. To be honest though I didn’t really like the look on the dual seat and the bag doesn’t hold much.
I preferred to use the Triumph panniers and actually think they didn’t look too bad - for travelling. Easy on and off and with the mounts powder coated you don’t really notice them. But they’re fairly easy to take off too anyway - 4 bolts.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the dual seat you can fit pretty much any rear bag you want. I used a Motodry Seat Bag, which has straps under the seat. To be honest though I didn’t really like the look on the dual seat and the bag doesn’t hold much.
I preferred to use the Triumph panniers and actually think they didn’t look too bad - for travelling. Easy on and off and with the mounts powder coated you don’t really notice them. But they’re fairly easy to take off too anyway - 4 bolts.
Thank you for that. Looks nice!
Maybe i shouldnt be so worried about the mounts...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hi everybody.

I have a ´16 thruxton 1200 R. Love the bike for many things but not its luggage hauling capabilities. I mostly ride for fun on the twisties or drive to work so most of the time it is not a problem but 3-4 times a year my wife and I go for weekendtrip and i need to carry something more than a back pack.
I fell in with SW Motech Blaze because i can remove most of the mount when not in use and retain the looks of the bike. I was very disappointed when I saw that you cant get one for my bike.
I suspect that the reason is the hump on the seat that prevents the use of velcrostraps.
Now my question:
Has anyone used the Blazes on a Thruxton by removing the painted part of the seat?
Or maybe by installing a twin seat?
Will the Blaze for the Speedtwin fit the Thruxton r?

Thank you in advance :)
I have a ‘16 TTR and also wanted a simple and useable rack. I got a Hepco and Becker rack in black. Nice thing is that it uses the stock threaded mounting under the seat. Perfect for me to strap stuff on while still having the seat cowl on.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Thank you Ashman. Do you have pictures of your setup?
There are pics of my full set up on this forum somewhere but I never save the pics on my computer, but I well set it all up again and take fresh pics for you but it might be a few days before I can as my shed is in a big mess at the moment as I am building a big slot car set up in the room that takes up 1/4 of my shed and I have all the stuff that was stored in the room all over the place, till I sort all that out my bike is trapped.
As for my Venture rack it fitted straight on the rear using the mounting bolts that are on the back of the bike so no mods needed.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ash,
See you've visited Meerkat as well.
Yes only the best for my bike Meerkat x-pipe and opened up stock mufflers the bike preforms great its quiet when I am sneeking around and puts out a great sound when I give it to it, and Peter at Meerkat is a honest and all time good person and a great tradesman and he is only a 1 1/2 hour run from my place, not far from my brother in law's place.

Ashley

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes the single seat with hump needs to be taken off and replaced with a dual seat.

I use SW Motech Blaze panniers on my Thruxton R and find them great; big enough to be useful but small enough to still allow me to filter. They fit nice and securely, are quick release - and with a second pair of clips purchased as accessories and a small modification to add a retaining clip on each bag, fit perfectly too on the Givi panier frame of my 1998 Honda Hornet 600. See the pic of bike and my twelve year old son waiting to board the ferry home after an epic touring holiday in France together. Awesome father and son time whilst my wife and daughter had their girlie time.

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the single seat with hump needs to be taken off and replaced with a dual seat.

I use SW Motech Blaze panniers on my Thruxton R and find them great; big enough to be useful but small enough to still allow me to filter. They fit nice and securely, are quick release - and with a second pair of clips purchased as accessories and a small modification to add a retaining clip on each bag, fit perfectly too on the Givi panier frame of my 1998 Honda Hornet 600. See the pic of bike and my twelve year old son waiting to board the ferry home after an epic touring holiday in France together. Awesome father and son time whilst my wife and daughter had their girlie time.

View attachment 774370

View attachment 774369
Thank you for that.
I had a feeling that it was possible and you confirmed it. Do you have a picture of the bike without the bags themselves but with the mounting hardware, so i can see how it looks on the gorgeours bike?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not a fan for permanent hard wear for saddle bags on my Thruxton. I opted for the Kriega Bags. I have a 30l, 20l, and a 10l bag for a range of options as they clip together. I have the duel seat for touring with these bags. I happen to like the look of the dual seat on the Standard Thruxton which helps with my choices.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you for that.
I had a feeling that it was possible and you confirmed it. Do you have a picture of the bike without the bags themselves but with the mounting hardware, so i can see how it looks on the gorgeours bike?
I am currently about to board a flight in Doha but just made a quick search of my OneDrive storage and found these two pics. I live in Sri Lanka and am heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks so will take some close ups if you wish.

In short though, the installation is discrete and the two chromed bars (one each side) that stop the bags flapping unlatch with thumb pressure to allow their storage with the bags, off the bike.

My personal experience with the bags is great.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you do get the Blaze saddle bags be careful. I have them for my 2016 TTR and even though they’re a great solution, there is a minor flaw. At speed the metal support arms can pull out of the keepers. It happen to me at highway speed and didn’t realize it happened until I smelled the bag rubbing on the rear tire. I was able to get replacement bags but did the following to the new supports.
I simply added a rivet to the assembly so that the metal support would not slide out from the plastic keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts