Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the passenger seat and lack of rear end, has anyone succesfully mounted a Cortech Tail bag where a pillion should be. If so, what on earth did you attach it to ?
What solutions do you use for multiday trips ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you dont have a passenger i suggest you get your hands on a second hand seat, modify the part where the passenger would sit so you can attach a bag or topcase or a rack or whatever you want. This would be how i go about it.

Other options are variantons on the triumph seat grab accesoire. Make some kind of brace that uses those attachment holes under the seat.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try this web site below. Ventura is a NZ based company but has outlets world wide.

I'm getting an '07 S3 later this month and have already purchased two Ventura Aero Spada Vll 51 litre bags and tail mount with rack for the m'bike.

(These particular bags are not yet shown on the Ventura web site).

You can zip 2 of the bags together for a total of 102 litres capacity.

The other 2 websites below gives you a look at their product on the S3.

I'm sure there would be an outlet for this luggage near you.

Ventura

Sound Distribution

Sport Touring Accessories

:-D :upthumb:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Be careful with those bags hanging down over those pipes-I burned a Krauser up with a 4 into 1 on my Suzuki GS 1000 before i knew that exhaust gases are HOT!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Built this plate and mount. The bag is actually a tankbag that is way too big for any tank. I can post plate template and details if wanted. The plate bols to the mount with three wingnuts. Bag and plate come off in in one piece in 30 seconds.[

·
Registered
114 Posts
I run an Eclipse tank bag on the back of Speedy. First remove the black plastic piece from the back end of the seat. I just used the passenger grap rail bolt holes under the seat on the subframe to mount a thin (.080) aluminum plate. It extends about 4" max. out behind the end of the seat. I then mounted a male quick buckle on the underside of the plate to mate to the single female buckle of the tank bag. I then ran a strap under the subframe under the seat near the phony air intakes, put male buckles on the ends and mated them to the two female buckles of the tank bag. The bag mounts with the wide part forward and tapers back so it looks pretty good. I mounted it 4" back so it wouldn't hit my back.
I now have the M4 low pipe so I've added some soft saddlebags to go with the rear tank bag. So now along with my front tank bag I have plenty of room for a long trip! And visually it looks very trim, almost OEM. The whole works comes off with the clip of a few buckles and all thats left is the little alumunum plate. (Which I take off when I get back home. :-D :-D :-D

PS Get soft bags that aren't too large and have internal stiffening pieces that hold their shape. Don't want anything 'droopy' hanging off ol' Speedy. :hammer: :-D

·
Registered
338 Posts
I took a small trip the other day and used a tank bag and a backpack. Don't want to add too much clutter. Oh I almost forgot I can always just go on my Wing and carry what ever I want. :-D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Etachell, I'd be interested in your plate template if its no hassle. I like both yours and 3formes solutions. I was going to buy the Ventura system but at $350...hmmm...would rather put that $$$ towards other upgrades.

I'm jealous, i used to live in Ketchum, ID, sans a streetbike, great riding out there!

:-D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Strontium,
Whatever you decide, just remember, you want any weight you carry on the back to be mounted as low and as far forward as possible if you don't want it to affect the handling. That's why I went the route I did. I carry the heaviest items in the bottom of the side bags.

I remember I once mounted a rack and some gear on the back of an '81' 550 Kaw. GPZ. It literally made the frame feel like it turned to rubber. Without the rack and gear it was fine. (Lesson learned.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts