Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

ok so I got a nice new street triple R! now I am working on all the bits and pieces I need to get it just the way I want. part of that is luggage as I use my bike everyday and carry lots of stuff, like my work laptop, and cat food and cat litter, yeh we have 2 cats.
currently I have a GS500 with a venture pack on the back and I can get anything on it. either in the bag or using straps on the back rack. but the draw back is there is no lock. so when I park the bike you either carry all your helmet and stuff with you or leave the pack and take the risk of someone needing it more than me. I will also have my fiencie on weekends so need space for say 2 helmets

so I need to decide whether to get another venture rack or go with a hard top box big enough for 2 helmets.

venture drawback - no security
venture advantage - lots of space - can face the bag forward when not carrying a pillion

top box - lockable - carry 2 helmets -
top box negatives - carry less stuff - weight always hanging over way over the back of the bike.

so I would like some opinions to help me decide.

Thanks in advance for all your help

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have the Ventura luggage. You can pop a small padlock through the zip eyelets but it won't stop the determined thief. (Nor will most other solid systems if the thief has a big screwdriver or prybar.) However, I've used Ventura products for about 12 years and have never had a single issue of theft. Mind you, this is NZ :D

The other thing is that the bags are aerodynamic. I've had the bike to ahem.... a fair percentage of its top speed with a heavy double pack on with no weave or any other issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have the Kriega US20 bag and am able to stuff my laptop, lunch, shoes and extra gear into it.

Hauling kitty litter will be your problem. Either a large top box or trailer for that one :eek:

You could get the larger Kreiga bag system which has several intergrated attached bags and balance the litter in them. These bags were designed my motorcyclists and built in Jolly Old England.

For your helmet - get the Helmet Guardian system that mounts to the rear fender/plate area. It has two helmet locks and I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
SW-Motech Alu-rack and Givi V46 topbox for me. When the topbox isn't installed, the Alu-Rack does not look that bad. I can fit two helmets in the V46, but it's tight and you won't get much else in there. Like ANZAC suggested, I use the Helmet Guardian device for hanging and locking my helmets.

I would think the Givi will be more waterproof than the Ventura, too. That's a big consideration for me, as well as the lockable aspect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts