Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I don't necessary want to clutter up the lines of the bike with racks and luggage sometimes it's useful to be able to carry "stuff". Getting racks and luggage rails for the bike seems virtually impossible or simply prohibitively expensive. Most offerings seem to be from USA or Germany. Anyone got a solution for this? Thanks.
By the way, I'm a new member and my first thread on a Tacho issue resulted in some great advice so thanks in advance. Looking forward to exploring the site more.

·
Registered
671 Posts
i used the ventura system on my TBS, 'sport' rack most of the time then put the touring rack on when needed... plannng to selll it soon but dont think it'll fit yours unfortunately...

P1020464 by neil, on Flickr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive seen quite a few Adventurers for sale on eBay and dome have the stylish semi rigid triumph saddle bags. What I can't quite work out is how the bags are anchored to the bike. There must be some kind of horizontal rail attached to the fender. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You can attach a Gears Navigator Tailbag for when you need to carry some gear. For me, it was (is) the best bag available for the money. I swap it between my TBS and my Spring ST. Easy on/off, and it carries a good amount of gear. I've used it for some trips.

Reactions: Ganey

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
There's some nice soft bags available now -

..all from Germany though lol.

If you decide to go your own way and build your own then you're going to have to relocate the rear indicators as they're the main hinderance.

You could also get hold of bog standard saddlebags and simply add a piece of metal to the rear footpeg mounts to act as a guide to keep them out of the wheel. This was my very first attempt back in 2012 -

That's just a simple ally bar with a hole drilled to mount it behind the footpeg, and if you painted it matt black you wouldn't even notice it. It worked very well incidentally, I made stiffening inserts for the saddlebags out of 5mm ally plate to give them a solid back and base, then made up some removable mounts out of those separable door hinges that you can get from almost any hardware store. They could carry 10 kilos in each side and I rode to England and back without issue.

Of course if you're more artistic than me (and almost everyone is lol) you could shape a 5mm piece of plate to look really amazing and blend in with the overall theme/style of the bike.

Reactions: Ganey

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That Ventura Sport-Rack looks like a great solution for me carrying my camping bag on my TBS with the single seat and cowl installed. I'll have to look into that.

Reactions: denny

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread, but, I have a TBS with a factory sissy bar/back rest and rear rack and am looking for a soft bag I can put behind the back rest. Ideally it would be expandable enough to hold my daughter's full face helmet and jacket.

TIA for any ideas,

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I am finding the same thing looking for a sissy bar for my '95 TB.
Has anyone fabricated their own?
I have a set of factory bags, supports for side bags, as well as the factory sissy bar & luggage rack.

Make me an offer on the whole kit, and we can work something out.

I'm a Givi top case guy, and this Winter I'll be making a top case rack; I'd rather NOT start with butchering the factory luggage rack, but if no one makes a solid offer on it, I will.

Here's the luggage rack/sissy bar (excellent condition):

Here's what the supports look like:

Here are the bags (and another view of the sissy bar):

1 - 18 of 18 Posts