Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Parts are now showing up and am starting the Lucas rear tail light install. The following is an informal poll to those that have opted for the NON-plug and play Lucas tail light. There are many ways to skin this cat but thought I would seek advice from those that have been there. Snowy provided some excellent advice which maybe a bit more invasive then some prefer with fender drilling. It seems many move the Lucas light well up on the rear fender to better cover the bottom two fender holes which some plug with rubber sheet metal hole plugs.
Snowy suggests drilling 3 new holes in the rear fender...new top hole approx. 2 inches above the existing top hole in the fender.
What have you guys done? For those that didn't want to move the light up and therefore use the existing fender top hole, aren't now the two bottom holes more noticable next to the light? Since I am mounting my rear signals off the shock mounts, I believe I will need to move my light up to cover the bottom holes as best as possible.
Suggestions?
George
PS: There is one added benefit to better covering the bottom two holes when moving the Lucas light up on the rear fender. The shape of the bottom of the Lucas light now better conforms to the radius of the rear fender.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Lucas

Just put one on mine. The 2 holes - cover them. Go to Ace Hdwre & get 2 plastic plugs- exact fit @ .49 ea. Works & looks awesome compared to that ugly cheap stocker!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just put one on mine. The 2 holes - cover them. Go to Ace Hdwre & get 2 plastic plugs- exact fit @ .49 ea. Works & looks awesome compared to that ugly cheap stocker!!
Don,
I have been looking around for those plugs. Thanks for the tip on Ace Hardware...didn't have any at Home Depot and didn't want to order in quantity on line. I will stop by Ace..they have one in my city.
Did you drill a new top hole about 2 inches above the existing top hole or did you go with the plug and play kit?
Thanks,
George
PS: Agree...the light is huge improvement and more fitting to the style of the bike.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I do not have plug and play and had to drill holes. I just plopped the new light on the fender to where I though it was best - not too far down and not too far up to interfere with the seat. Moved it around until I though "yeah, right here", marked holes and drilled. Had to get longer screws for the bottom two holes.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I do not have plug and play and had to drill holes. I just plopped the new light on the fender to where I though it was best - not too far down and not too far up to interfere with the seat. Moved it around until I though "yeah, right here", marked holes and drilled. Had to get longer screws for the bottom two holes. I pretty much eyeballed the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks David. Seems pretty universal that most with the non plug and play light drilled new holes.
There is some latitude as you mention as to where to place the light up and down on the rear fender. One issue...if running a seat grab handle...I may at some point though not in the imminent future...don't want to install the light too high as it may interfere...noticed its close on some member's bikes.

A pic below of a gent's fender underside which seems to be a good approach. Drill two new holes...one about 2" above the existing fender top hole and the next hole beside the biggest hole in the rear fender previously used for the wire harness.
I believe I will follow suit with this approach as the rear license flange now covers the rearward holes almost completely with this light position.
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yes, that was my thought when sizing it up - if I put a grabrail on or rack, would it interfere. Ultimately, I mounted it low enough that no interference would occur.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that was my thought when sizing it up - if I put a grabrail on or rack, would it interfere. Ultimately, I mounted it low enough that no interference would occur.
Thanks again brother and to all that helped me out with this.
George

1 - 8 of 8 Posts