Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so was taking the BB out for a quick spin to warm up that chain before cleaning it and throwing some lube on it, when i noticed that my taillight wasn't emitting the higher brightness brake light when the brake was applied. the running light works fine, but when brakes applied nothing changed...

so opened up the light and noticed that sure enough one of the filaments had broken. guess the vibration of the bike or something must have nknocked it loose....anyways, i've emailed sean at british customs and i'm hoping they hook me up with a replacement since it's only about a month and a half old.

does anyone know exactly what type of bulb is in there, or what types will work for a replacement? if anything i'd like to maybe find a higher quality bulb like a piaa or something to throw in there to increase reliability ya know?

btw this is the british customs lucas style fender elmiination kit bulb i'm talking about. don't know if it's different from the one on NB, but i'm specifically addressing the BC one!

thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sure this is the same lamp we use. It's an 1157 bulb. If you have the stock taillight, take the bulb out of that and use it. It's the same. 1157 is very common and can be found at ant auto parts store.

-brent

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey brent do you know if the flashing taillight modulator you guys sell would work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It will indeed. I happen to have the very same setup on my Bonnie. The flashing taillight and brighter headlamps are among the very first mods I make on a new bike to improve safety.

-brent

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks brent!!! good to know for future ref, but i can't drop 60 bucks right now on the bulb :( for now i'm just gonna have to go to autozone or something and see if i can get like a cheapie LED or something to get in there for now just so i can get back on the road, but later on when more cash becomes available i may just have to get that modulator!!

it looks so big though in the pic!! that's why i didnt' know if it would fit in the lucas taillight.

BTW i just saw the new LED lighting conversion kit you guys have on the site, and I MUST get one of those!!! that looks so sweet in red!!! wonder how hard it would be to do the install! it's basically just replacing the bulb that's under the speedometer now right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The tailBalzer may look bigger in the pics, but it's the same size as any 1157 bulb.

It's a very easy install for the LED gauge bulbs. Shoot me an email and I'll send the instructions. Couldn't be easier...

Thanks for the interest!

-brent

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check out this pic

so i busted out my stock fender to grab the bulb outta there, to my surprise it looks different than the one that is in my lucas taillight. the one on the LEFT is the one that came with my FEK, the bulb on the RIGHT is the stock...notice the significant difference in size.

another thing i noticed upon further inspection of the bulbs is the difference in rating?? (not sure what it's really called)

but the STOCK bulb reads on it: 12V21/5W

whereas the LUCAS bulb reads: 12V23/8W

now i switched them out, the stock bulb fit in the socket ok, but i think it maybe be slightly pressing against the actual taillight cover due to its increased size...it didn't feel like it was really struggling to get in there though.

should i be concerned with the difference in wattages? shouldn't hurt anything should it being that they were both being powered from the same power source? i mean it still turns on and gets brighter as the brake is applied, but i didnt know if those different numbers would do me any harm???

brent, so the modulator light you guys sell, is it right on par with the lenght of the stock bulb? i'd feel better if it was even a hair shorter than it with my situation.

·
30,533 Posts
You'll be fine. The stock bulb is lower power so it will draw less current than the other one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts