Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Were there any issues with fitting or wiring?
Looking at the tail light housings out there, it seems none have a placement for the turn signals

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you! Were there any issues with fitting or wiring?
Looking at the tail light housings out there, it seems none have a placement for the turn signals
The only inconvenience was getting 4 nuts the same as the nuts supplied with the "Lucas style" indicators. I can't remember what size they are, I went to see a local guy who used to restore old brits and got 4 nuts from him. I also ran earth wires to each indicator as the oe connectors are 2 pin.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Installed short stem units years ago. had to put crimp connectors to hook up. I had a lucas styled taillight already. Got the nuts from Home Depot or Ace. I put LED bulbs in and brightened things up a bunch.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did you need add any other devices to allow the LED's to function?
Nope. just put it in place of the existing bulb. Sorry I wasn't clear, the led went in the tailight. Not sure if they'd work in the turn signals. Hmm, maybe I'll walk out and see if they work. Be back after while.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did you need add any other devices to allow the LED's to function?
Had two extra bulbs so I plugged them in and they are very noticeably brighter. Left them blinking for about 30 sec. and didn't blow anything. I too put in a separate ground wire for the light sockets. You may be able to see them in the pics.
DSCN1807.JPG

DSCN1806.JPG

DSCN1805.JPG

DSCN1804.JPG

Reactions: Ctomt and Bsafer

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Where did you mount the "earth" wires to?
Sorry, I'm not great with electrical bits.
The ground is attached to the bulb holder. The other end can be run to a common ground in the headlight bucket or extend out of the stem and connected via the inside mounting nut of the stem to the bracket. My bike had bullet signals installed by the PO and the wiring was altered. I ran the ground to a common ground wire in the bucket. Can't tell which without removing the headlamp and it's 106 inside my un-airconditioned bike shed. If it cools down a little I may go in and provide some pics.

Reactions: W_Edwards

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It has been so long that I forgaot that the PO had used the OEM connecters. I just cut and soldered to the remaining wires for the ground and hot lead. the tape shows the wires in the pics. IM000432.JPG

IM000433.JPG

Reactions: W_Edwards

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Coach! I ordered my turn signals and they should be arriving any day now.
I'm excited to get it all wired up.
I came up with an idea to try to give them a different look.
I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wanted to do a nod to Lucas too - and installed Lucas style turn signals and tail light - could give you more detail if needed, but here are a few shots. No one even notices or says anything, so I guess it looks "right". I think youll be happy and am glad someone else wants to do the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Bsafer! It looks great.
I got the front done tonight. I had to buy the filler plates from Sato Racing as neither New Bonneville or British Customs will have them in stock until further noice. Halfway through I discovered they were just a hair to small for the post of my turn signal, so I had to drill them out. The wife had lugged off my best drill and set of drill bits so I had to make do with what I had. As a result, enlarging the hole didn't turn out as well as planned. It's why my wife and I don't need to have S3X because she screws me over in oh so many other ways. :SadSigh
I gave my Lucas signals a new look. I like them as they call to the fork gaiters.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:nerd:It is the rubber gaiters that are available via New Bonneville and are normally used to cover the clutch cable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts