Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new bike in 1971. Fifteen bikes later I bought another new one - my '14 Street Triple which was less than a year ago. Five weeks ago I came home with this 2016 Thruxton R.

The Owner's Handbook tells us to lube the drive chain every 200 miles. I am not one to argue with whatever is recommended and I love to have any excuse to spend time in the garage fondling a new Triumph motorcycle. But... is that really necessary ?

I'll do it (and have been doing it on both these new bikes), but 200 miles comes up pretty quick. We can't seem to avoid the wet in Oregon no matter the season, but it's not a dirt bike - I'm not on a gravel road - what are your thoughts?

Thanks

<Edit: Hope I'm not opening the door to yet another long thread of preferred lubricants - just surprised of the recommended frequency>

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
These are X-ring chains, or at least my T-100 has. Mine are lubed ~ 300 and my handbook also says 200. Depends on what you use too, and I use DuPont Chain Saver after a ride while it's warm because I hate fling. 200 is covering all conditions. Mine wouldn't die if I went 400. If it looks dry-ish, lube it, and keep it cleaned and wiped while you're at it.

Posted a video link for a noob rider recently if you can find it. That's a Ducati video but applicable. I'm lazy. Maybe you can find it. ;)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted a video link for a noob rider recently if you can find it. That's a Ducati video but applicable. I'm lazy. Maybe you can find it. ;)
Ha! I'm that noob (er... well I'm 64, had 15 or 20 bikes since 1967 - Not opposed to learning though ; -)
I have been following the method in that Ducati video since you posted it. So, thanks.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I do mine around every 250 to 300 miles or so AFTER riding. Lubricating the chain is not such a big deal "IF" you have a center stand. In fact, it's easy. Just put it on the CS, then let the engine run in 1st gear. Spray chain lub onto the inside edge of the chain from an aerosol can thru a skinny plastic straw. Simple. Only takes about 30 seconds. Just DON'T FORGET to shift back into neutral before rolling off the CS.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If anything, I do mine more often - sort of. The can of lube sits next to where I park the bike. A couple of times a week I grab the can and just spray the part of the chain that is visible from the rear of the bike. I figure the lube is going to spread to a certain extent as I ride anyway and each time I stop a different part of the chain will be visible so the whole thing gets lubed. It takes me literally 5 seconds to do this. Then once in a while I will clean and lube the whole chain properly. My last chain lasted 50,000km.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I wouldn't take any notice of that 200 mile thing......they're over the top with that.
Just be sensible, me, I would be looking at 400.
Agree completely. I have pretty severe mechanical sympathy. I love wrenching and perfecting my bikes. But 200 miles is ridiculous. Heck on some of my longer trips we will hit that before stopping for breakfast. I carry a travel size of chain saver and when riding for a full 12 or so hour day, will hit it with a squirt at lunch and then probably again when we stop for the day at the very most. And I have never had a chain issue of any sort.

Heck most of my buddies on a 6 day ride will ask to borrow some on about day 3 and thats it. They have also never had an issue either. But this is on modern O/X ring chains.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
I lube the chain every 500 miles, more or less. Still on my original sprockets at 31,000+ miles and they look alright.

Reactions: looseparts

·
Premium Member
2008 Bonneville Black
12,496 Posts
It's a bit silly. That means carrying a can of lube around and applying it mid-day, maybe twice, and a good trip. It's silly, I wish I understood why they say that.

I haven't lubed my chain yet this season, about 1,500 miles. I fear I'm turning into one of those guys :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Maybe every 500-1000 miles, if I remember, LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts