Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bit of creative cable arrangement, angling of clutch and brake lever (and the actual bars), these LSL clipons...

(50mm clamp, 5 degree down angle, weighs 600g)

...will make your STriple back breakingly fun to ride and nice to stare at for and hour or so while having a beer or two in the garage

·
Registered
998 Posts
Now those look nice! I keep thinking about throwing a set on for track days and spirited riding, but I do occasional longer rides, so I don't know if I could deal with them full time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive adjusted the angle of the bars twice since taking that photo so ill have to upload a clear shot or two of the steering turned lock to lock. Steering has enough movement to be able to put the steering lock on so it hasn't lost too many degrees. The plastic end cap on the tube touches the clocks and the cable adjuster on the clutch hits the back of the headlights (not sure if this is a problem on the old style lights as the backs aren't as square). Did a couple of hundred km's today on different roads (motorways, twisties, etc) and the clipons have the usual good points and bad points. Got back home and my neck didn't hurt from the wind, position over the bike inspires way more confidence going round corners and makes getting your knee down easier, lean also puts ur ass further back into the seat so no ball ache from sliding into the tank when you mess up a wheelie, knees hurt, knees ache, wrists hurt a bit but not as much as knees, those bendy bits half way down my legs hurt... Actually there's a point, as there are no rubber bushings connecting clip ons to the forks like there are with the handlebars, you feel EVERYTHING. I put some bar end weights on but I might try some softer grips to see if it improves comfort. As its nearing the festive season and the kids will be wanting some imaginary bearded fat bastard dressed in red to bring them expensive presents, I think I'm gonna buy the LSL 6.5" headlight conversion before I sort out the rearsets early next year.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I like my renthol soft grips a lot, but there too soft so I buy a pair every 4,000 miles or so due to wear.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I don't pay EU tax, £110.83 including shipping followed by £10.50 import duty when they arrived. I almost bought the Renthal equivalent but they seemed a bit too utilitarian compared to the LSL machined works of art (photos do them no justice). The true test was when I took the bike to work and most of my colleagues couldn't tell what I'd changed

·
Registered
35 Posts
How does this compare to the Daytona position? I'm dying to find a position on my Striple that is more "Ducati-ish", but nothing like the Daytona. I already have that back breaker!

Did you think about adding sportier rearsets?

Would love to see more pics!

thx!

·
Registered
330 Posts
How does this compare to the Daytona position? I'm dying to find a position on my Striple that is more "Ducati-ish", but nothing like the Daytona. I already have that back breaker!

Did you think about adding sportier rearsets?

Would love to see more pics!

thx!
you can get the Apex clip on's with risers. They'll be a bit more comfortable while also giving you a bit more aggressive'ness.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When do you use the back brake without using the front?
Mid-corner when I don't want to stand the bike up or lose the front end, on loose road surfaces, during wheelies, waiting at traffic lights on a hill, etc, etc, etc... If I didn't need the light I wouldn't have asked :p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just thought I would add that I called apex today about the gp clipons, they do have them in 50mm, he was not aware that the site was wrong, said he would get it updated. In the meantime I would call if you want to order them.

http://apexmfg.com/products/product/view/11/176
very cool. did you get the GP clip ons? I'd love to see how those look and if there's any clearance issues with them

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm looking to install a set of these on my 2010 STR.

How're you finding them in terms of comfort and useability? I tried a Daytona before settling for the STR and found its riding position was horrendous for me! I kept having to massage my wrists at every set of lights! None of that here I take it?

I ride through Central London nearly every day so filtering and diving in and out of traffic is one of my issues. Do you get the same sort of turning circle as with the standard bars?

I'm also going to be ditching the two headlights for the LSL 6.5" clubman light.

Bike looks great, keep up the good work. :)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you really tip the bike but keep your body perpendicular to the floor the turning circle isn't too bad (watch a few motorcycle gymkhana videos on YouTube). It will never be as easy to control at slow speeds as it was with normal bars, and at the moment using the clutch in traffic is killing a whole bunch of new muscles in my left arm from the slightly different position. Corners and going fast is where the clipons really shine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts