Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I installed these on my bonnie there were only 2 mounting points, the larger bolts with the spacers. The front was effectively a blank.

Anyone else notice this?

I assume it is just a difference between the bonnie and thrux.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmm I doubt that its a difference between a Thrux and a Bonnie because I have a Bonnie and the three mounting points. Maybe its a design change?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've done it differently that's why, just read your first post again, I took the original mounts off so i guess what would've been the receiver for the stock footpegs would have had that front bolt instead. Another job there then.

There's also trouble afoot on the right hand side with the brake hose, I've rotated the banjo bolt and changed the switch over but the hose from the reservoir is at the wrong angle. Problem is, it doesn't want to rotate. I've removed the circlip, but getting any rotation is proving hard and I don't want to force it too hard and damage it so that brake fluid goes everywhere. However I don't really have the desire to bleed the brake system either to "unplug" it.

Here's the bit I mean if you're unsure:

photo 1.JPG

So any tips?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did you put the original mounts back on? They have to be there for spacing. Yes that hose goes to your resevoir. You have to trim that hose otherwise you have no brakes. I pinched it, pulled it off the master and drained the resevoir. Do not touch your pedal. I trimmed the hose and re attached it. I added fluid to the resevoir again and waited for the air bubbles to rise to the top so the hose is full. Then I did a bleed. It will bleed fine becuase there is really no air there but just in case you want to bleed them to be doubly sure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Calliway, yes I absolutely intend to put the old mounts back on. It's strange, as the pedals actually operate well as they are, even the brake believe it or not. Nevertheless, I'd rather have them installed as they were intended so thanks for your advice.

As for the hose, I think it's inevitably in for the snip. Probably for the best, as it's right scruffy at the moment.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mine worked too when I accidently put them on without the original mounts. I think my brake pedal just rubbed. I can't remember. Yep, the snip is a necessary evil.

Cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanks for the writeup. Will be bookmarking this. Still on the fence though of whether I want to self install or take it to someone...

·
Registered
52 Posts
thanks for the writeup. Will be bookmarking this. Still on the fence though of whether I want to self install or take it to someone...

I was a little intimidated by it myself, but it is very doable if you have average skills. I used this thread, a youtube video that is in German (but has subtitles) and the poor set if instructions that came with it and accomplished it is a few hours time, broken into 2 nights. I first assembled the 2 rearsets to have them ready to mount, and then went from there. I did the shifter side as it is easier and to get a feel for it, then did the brake side the next evening. The brake side is a little intimidating, but if you follow the youtube video, it is pretty much spot on. Make sure you have a new can of brake fluid ready as you will have to bleed the rear brakes, and also I used posi-lock connectors as in the video to rewire the rear brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ZaYRq1yzs

21 - 30 of 30 Posts