Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever actually gone down with these sliders on and how did it perform? Dropped the bike years ago and scratched the cover before I could even blink. Hate to see what a slide would do. Was wondering how, if anyone has tested at speed, the mounting system held up. Being that it only uses the cover bolts it seems they may/could shear off on an "at speed" impact.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
The LSL really don't provide much protection. They aren't out where they can make a difference. The only thing they could possibally protect are the cases, that's all. The other thing I really don't like about them, they are directly bolted to the case. Cases are nothing but pot metal and quite fragile. The strongest point is the bolts used to mount the base plate. With the case being the weak point. If you bent the bolt on impact it will surely damage the case. I personally don't think it was a well thought out or tested design.

AXLJAK has a really good set that provides much more protection to the entire frame and rear components. They are extremely sturdy and robust. They bolt directly to the frame at the strongest point. He has units for the front and rear as well as damper mounts that require a 120mm sturdy damper and rearsets. All his products are outstanding quality. He's a pleasure to chat with to. His products are used by 90% of the Trans Atlantic Challange Cup racers for good reason.

http://www.axljak.com/Billet Parts - Triumph.htm

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I fitted some when I first bought my bike, largely out of over-cautiousness. Thankfully, I've never had to test them - hope you don't either. 14 months after buying my Bonneville, I probably wouldn't buy them now.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
other thing I really don't like about them, they are directly bolted to the case.
That has always been my reservation. No matter the grade, M6 bolts are pretty weak. I think the bolts would snap before the cases break, but either scenario isn't a pleasant one.

Axljak gets my vote.

/Mike

[EDIT] Just an after thought... what do you think about the viability of using an engine "cage" like they use on stunt bikes?

Too heavy? Too ugly? (sounds like the responses I get to my Personals ad's)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Skull Crusher,
I agree about the engine case mounted sliders. Bad idea.
The AxlJack seem to be beautifully made (if a bit pricey), but the front slider is set so high, it appears that the motor cases would hit before the sliders. Do they rely on the rearset footpeg to protect the cases? They certainly look strong enough.
I fabbed my own, and set them lower;

I've tested them, they work.
Best,
Redhawk

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Red,

How would you feel about doing me a set for my Thrux Racer. The ones on the rear pipe mounts? I like what you've done. Provides really good protection for the pipes. Just name the cost or we could do some trading!:D

Cheers

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Mike as long as there was engine accessibility for tuning or adjustments. It would probably sell. I'd have to see a drawing to know for sure. Something close to the engine but not too extravagant. Weight is a factor also.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
They bolt directly to the frame at the strongest point.

Hey Jeff, did you cut down the shifter to keep it from breaking in a low side? After my off, I've thought about doing this to try and keep the shifter intact in case of another low side.

Thanks for posting the frame sliders. I recently saw them installed on a Thruxton for the first time, but have not been able to reach the owner to find out about them.

I've not installed the LSL sliders for the same reasons posted.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Keep trying his phone rings to his cell. He's probably off for the Holidays but he'll take care of you. You can, it's quite easy and will keep it inside the solid footpeg for protection. I didn't cut mine off, I polished it down for a more finished look.

Cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
Skull Crusher,
I wouldn't make them for sale, but for the race bike, they're el freebo. Hell, it's cold enough to liquify methane outside, and I have the stock sitting here.
Same dimensions, or maybe a half-inch longer?
Do you want the inner post satin black as shown, or polished?
E-mail me an address.
redhawk34(at)comcast.net
Best,
Redhawk

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Thank You Red!

Red,

You never cease to amaze me in the projects that your willing to share. I commend you for that and all the information that you're so willing provide to all of us. They'll make a big difference in confidence as well as ability to recover after a slide. It's happened more than once in the past. I just like pushing that envelope.;)

Cheers Mate

·
Registered
709 Posts
Jeff, I come from a time when we made things, because you couldn't buy them. The Bobbers, Choppers, and the top end of the Caff racers had this in common. (Most caff racers in the day were pretty much stock, except for dropped bars and a flyscreen.)
I guess time has passed me by, don't remember when I last saw a kid building a treehouse, or a guy building a boat in his driveway. Most people today think they can't do this sort of thing, and one who thinks that is absolutely correct.
Though I've sold my Royal Enfield (it was finished),

I still hang around their forum.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/royalenfield/
Those guys get stuck in, because when you have a 1955 model Britbike made in India (in dim light), you have no other choice.
Best,
DWM

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Me too, my dad was a tool and die maker for International Harvester and I picked up allot of my machining skills from him. I wish I had the space for a small machine shop at the house.:( It was taught in schools that I attended, don't think it is anymore. I know what it takes and can appreciate the work also. Kids now a days are more interested in the next video game or what type of phone the can upgrade to. It's no more about developing a trade of skill. We've hurt ourselves here as a nation. No tree houses being built around me for along time. I very rarely see children outside playing, running and just being kids. I remember when we'd spend all day away from the house and Mom or Dad would have to ring a bell or whistle to get us to come home. Damn, I could hear my Dad whistle for a mile. Those memories are still in my heart. God, how I wish they would come back!:( My little old 125 Ducati wasn't fast but it was sure fun to experiment on. It was a much simpler time with simpler needs. I suppose that's one of the reasons it's so easy to gravitate to riding a Triumph again.:D I appreciate you Red!

Cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
A 125 Ducati? You were on big, exotic, Youropeen Iron. I started with a Honda S-90. Taught me everything I know.
Redhawk

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Yep, a fellow named, Glen Garringer had it and sold Ducati in his little shop adjacent to his house in Mechanicsburg, Ohio, "Garringer's Cycle Shop." First Ducati Shop I'd ever seen in 1968. Couldn't stand it, it was just so neat looking with the cafe bars, rearsets, and the round tip muffler, had to have it! I'd ridden several Honda's including the 305 and they just didn't do it for me like the Ducati. Wanted a Triumph like my brother-in-laws in a bad way but didn't have the resources. But this is another story. ;)

To answer your question about the height of the AXLJAX sliders, I layed the bike over purposefully to see what would come into contact. The dimensions are such that between the front and rear wheel, the clipon and the slider it keeps the cases about a full 1.5" off the tarmac. The only thing is was really concerned about was the exhaust on the other side. It would immediately come in contact and damage it beyond a repairable state. Which would end a racing weekend pretty quickly. Your rear slider is the solution to that problem.:D

Cheers

·
Registered
709 Posts
"Your rear slider is the solution to that problem."
That, my friend, depends entirely on how fast you're going when you go down!
I knew a guy in college who had a Duc 250 Bevelhead. He didn't know if his arsehole was punched or bored, so I did most of the work on it. Got to ride it a good bit, lovely bike. First time I had encountered mousetrap valve springs.
Redhawk

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
That is totally true. Although I've been lucky and only bounced off the tramac once very early in my racing career. I got smart and learned to lean the bike over far enough for the front wheel to slid away instead. I hated having a high side, it really hurt and took along time to recover from. :( So, I figured if I was going to have another it would be a slide instead. Believe me, it's allot easier to slide than bounce!:D Plus you never bounce far enough to get out of the way of another rider.:eek:

Cheers

·
Registered
959 Posts
Lsl

A 125 Ducati? You were on big, exotic, Youropeen Iron. I started with a Honda S-90. Taught me everything I know.
Redhawk
REDHAWK34-REDHAWK34-THIS IS SPYDER9ER4-SPYDER9ER4-YOU COPY? OVA. YOUR CRASH BUMPERS ARE A CLASS ACT-REPEAT-CLASS ACT. YOU COPY? OVA. COULD OF USED YOUR BUMPERS WHEN THE I.E.D WENT OFF- OVA, AND FLIPPED THE HUMMER ON ITS SIDE. OVA. NO KIA(I WAS DRIVING AND MY MOTOCROSS SKILLS PREVALED-HE HE HE)(NO S**T). WIA WAS MINIMAL-ONE BROKEN WRIST-ONE COLLOR BONE AND ONE ANKLE(ME). WE FLIPPED THE HUMMER ON IT'S WHEELS AND DROVE OFF(WITH ME DRIVING). TOLD THE YOUNGSTERS, INCLUDING THE CAPTIAN THAT THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED OUR BUTTS WAS MY DIRT BIKE RIDING. I LIED (HE HE HE). THEY NOW THAT I NOT ONLY SIT ON THE RIGHT HAND OF JESUS, THAT MY SKILLS WITH THE .45ACP AND THE M203 ARE LEDGENDARY (HE HE HE). IF THEY ONLY KNEW THAT MOST OF MY SHOOTING SKILLS ARE LEARNED AND S**T HOUSE LUCK.

I SURELY ENJOY YOUR WRITING ABOUT MOTORCYCLES AND ALL THINGS MECHANICAL.

RESPECTIVELY YOURS

CSM SPYDER9ER4

SOMEWHERE IN AFGANLAND

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND A BELATED MERRY CHRISTMAS.

STEVE, GEAR HEAD AT LARGE AND ALL THINGS MECHANICAL! :CANNON:
PS: THE ANKLE WAS A MINOR INJURY. IT WILL KEEP ME OUT OF THE LOOP FOR ANOTHER WEEK.
KEEP IT SUNNY SIDE UP AND STAY OFF OF THE BOOZE. I AM ON STAND DOWN FOR ANOTHER 8-9DAYS. FIRST TIME IN THE LAND OF THE GENERATOR AND HOT SHOWER AND CLEAN SHEETS ON A COT IN ABOUT 4 TO 5 WEEKS, I THINK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Too heavy? Too ugly? (sounds like the responses I get to my Personals ad's)
:D:D lol

redhawk34- Your sliders look kick ass, Even more kick butt is that u made em yourself! Sweet!:bighand:
Just like Skull Crusher said I wish i had space to have some work shop tools. My neighbor had Mig and Tig welding machines, and he always let me practice on his tools. I even made my own tubing for my custom turbo at his place...then he moved :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts