Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes they still exist!

Was on a 550km ride yesterday. Stopped at a regular servo (South Bowenfels @ Lithgow) for a cuppa on the way home. Parking was a bit light so had to park off to one side. Some scumbag lifted my Ventura bag from the rack. It was an older bag so that's not a big issue. But it had all my tools, a new camera, some maps, spare gloves, prescription sunnies and a few odds and sodds!

No one saw a thing including the surveilance camera because the bike was hidden by a 8 horse float and F350 for a while. So it was a straight opportunity theft with no chance of getting anything back. All up about $8-900 worth of stuff.

This is the first time in 11years using ventura gear that anything has been touched!

So just a warning to everyone, be careful about how you secure items to you bikes and make sure you park in full view if at all possible.

Russ

·
Registered
282 Posts
No other word for 'em - SCUM! Sure would have put a damper on a good day for a ride Russ. I know that servo and will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
That's a right pain sorry to hear that. I've had it happen too.

So now its lockable hard cases for me every time! They're ugly but they work.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
That's sickening Russ, is it covered by your insurance ? Technically it's part of the bike, check also with your Home insurance. You'll need to report it to the police for the record.

--------------
Ride on ! :(

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the support guys - I needed to vent a little :D
TBirdNZ, I have credit card insurance and am looking at lodging a claim for the camera (as it's only 35 days old!), I won't hold my breath because they may argue about how secure the bag was. I have reported to the Police to get an event number for the insurance.

Figuring out what tools I need is going to be a pain!
Also the fact they got stuff instead of an empty bag (I leave the bag on the rack all the time) is annoying as it will now encourage the [email protected]@rds!

Russ

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
... sorry to hear it Russ - must have spoiled your day.

Its one concern I have when travelling - you are vulnerable to maggots like that:mad:

One thing I learned early on when riding with some experienced riders was always to park the bikes in view.This sometimes means parking on the footpath - but we've never been hassled for this as long as you dont block it for pedestrians.

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Ah Russ that's really crook, especially since it's a regular stop for you, which now won't be so good anymore. It's not too far from the Rebels clubhouse on the highway as I recall. They have a scum reputation out that way.

It's one of the reasons I changed my ventura bag over for a Givi top box. Sure, they're plastic and can be broken into, but they're useless to anyone afterwards.

Hope someone owns up eventually,

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
That's to bad. Bad luck for you. We can only hope that bad luck follows the thief around the rest of his life.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alls well that ends well!

I have some good news - for a change. The cops at Katoomba found my bag that was stolen from the Tiger at Lithgow about 2-3weeks back. Found about 35km away on the road to Oberon (for those that know the area). With ALL the stuff inside.

Joy (wife) and I went up to Katoomba cops to pick it up on Sat and had a browse through some of the eclectic bookshops, coffee and cake and home again that arvo - all very civilised. Our take is it fell off the back of the ute of the low lifes wot lifted said bag.....

All in all cost me about $450 by the time I'd bought a cheap camera as a replacement, a top box and rack and went up to retrieve the gear when found.

I must say, I'm impressed with our general duties cops. Looked after me very well in my pushy accident lsat July. Tracked me down because I'd report the bag stolen (no ID in it of any kind) and had a description lodged against the incident number... So unlike their highway patrol brethren.

So now I have a camera to take to the Superbikes for this weekend.

Russ

·
Registered
471 Posts
Russ, I'm glad you got your items back, especially the camera as you probably had some pictures yet to develop. Also, thanks for posting, as I've perhaps become overly trustful of the general public on road trips. It's a valid reminder for me to consider taking some added precautions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That is good news, it's very rare for things to be recovered in one piece, it has cost you though, i'd think about getting refunds on the replacement stuff if you kept receipts, i got a full refund on my camera a few weeks back,it was over a year old, i just said it used too many batteries and they were fine about it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts