Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
runnin a set of bitubo wme shocks on my base bonnie, for $450 in USA a quality shock, 330mm stock for mag wheel bike, they are a DeCarbon shock aka internal reservoir a superior design one step down from piggyback units for a lot less $$$, preload and rebound adj, ride is EXCELLENT

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
steve : just emailed them right now :) :)

steve and rodhotter : yep I know that there is not the need to spend as much as high end shocks, but at the moment I'm collection all info regarding various shocks so I can better decide. I would by far prefer highest quality shocks with all the adjustments including seat height adjustment :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
FWIW I've lowered my Bonnie in the back with 310mm Hagon shocks. That's 30mm lower than a stock Bonnie, 50mm (I believe) lower than a stock Thrux. In the front I've stacked 25mm top out springs on top of the stock ones, and raised the forks another 5 mm in the tree. Now, I've maintained the original stance, just 1.2" lower. I love it.
A question about this.

Is this a stock/base Bonnie? I have a wife who is seriously in-seamed challenged and we've been looking for a bike for her that 1) has low seat height. and 2) isn't a cruiser.
The Bonnie seems like a nice candidate but possibility is that we may need to lower about another inch from the (listed) seat height of 29 inches (2012/2013 models).
I'm following this thread but not sure of differences between thruxton, bonnie, T100, etc. to be able to determine if what would work on one would work on another.
Going to go look to dealer to look at Bonnie's this coming weekend to see if it would work for her. Would be nice to know of possibilities should it prove to be just slightly too tall for her.
Any suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
A question about this.

Is this a stock/base Bonnie? I have a wife who is seriously in-seamed challenged and we've been looking for a bike for her that 1) has low seat height. and 2) isn't a cruiser.
The Bonnie seems like a nice candidate but possibility is that we may need to lower about another inch from the (listed) seat height of 29 inches (2012/2013 models).
I'm following this thread but not sure of differences between thruxton, bonnie, T100, etc. to be able to determine if what would work on one would work on another.
Going to go look to dealer to look at Bonnie's this coming weekend to see if it would work for her. Would be nice to know of possibilities should it prove to be just slightly too tall for her.
Any suggestions welcome...
I wondered if I'd get caught on that one :) Mine is a T100. The rear shocks, at 340mm, are 10mm taller than the base/SE Bonnies. I don't believe that you will find a lower seat than the SE seat. I can't vouch for the comfort, though. I was late on an SE gel seat on the classifieds a month or so back. Although I don't like the looks, I'd love to try one out. Even lowered, my 28" inseam is maxed out. I still can't flatfoot my bike.

I've since installed a 68 Solo gel seat. It's very comfy, but doesn't feel any lower than the Scrammie seat I have sitting in the garage.

The Thruxton uses 360mm shocks, nearly an inch higher than the T100 and over an inch more than the base.

If I might just assert my opinion? If she's open to different bikes, the base Bonnie would probably be the best choice. It would be the easiest to get to her preferred height, handles very nice (I've heard many many times) due to the 17" front wheel, has a comfortable neutral riding position, and with not much effort, can be cafe'd out to a sweet ride for not much money! (For some reason, the FEK looks fantastic with the mags. Just my opinion, of course)

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
That SE model was designed for folk with shorter inseams. I've seen some short gals on em and they reach the ground ok. I read about some gal on the forum here and she switched to an SE model and felt it was a good move for her. I think she was 5.2 or so. SHe could flat foot on it and hold the bike up much better then the t-100.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have a base with a Thruxton seat, which I think looks better and seems to be a bit slimmer between my legs. I have a 28" inseam and still can't get flat footed. I like about an inch to get my heels down but then again I have 140 x90 back tire. My next tire will be lower profiled then even the stock tire. Maybe a 140 x 60 or 70. I've forgotten what the stock ones are.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hmmm this thread is getting the more interesting and interesting ... haven't yet considered the seat option that much seriously ... but still have to do some research of a possible "low profile" seat for the thruxton :)

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I have made innumerable posts on lowering the Thruxton and it is still relevant to the Bonnies and SE in the end. Have a search but you can't get a lower seat than the MAS race seat.

I have tried a few and this seat is the lowest by a British mile.

Look here http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...-to-triumph-bonnie-se-gel-seat.html?highlight

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...the-forks-1-through-the-yoke-triple-tree.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/203476-anywhere-still-selling-mas-racing-single-seat.html

Remembering the wife is only 5' 1and 3/4" tall and she can flat foot with the Bonnie shocks and the MAS race seat on a Thruxton. She can really happy with the outcome. It is really confidence inspiring for her to be able to flat foot on the ground.

This thread has some interesting seat alternatives also

http://www.triumphrat.net/club-cafe/177790-if-you-could-have-any-seat-on-your-thruxton.html

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I know, I know :D

That said I don't like the position on Leonie's bike as it is too low for me and really not that comfortable with the lower seat, but I am 6'2" :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
youuuuuuu tallllll lucky guy !!!!!!

i'm 165cms which i just worked out, equivalent to 5 feet 5 inches ... us Mediterraneans not very tall :SadSigh

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Haha yeah. Some of us Americans, too! I'm 5'3" (160cm?). Here in the US I feel even shorter. When I go to Central America, although I'm still short, I find many men the same height as me. Here at home, I sometimes go years and only encounter one or two men my height or shorter.

That's ok. I have good taste in motorcycles. Now I just wish that I could convince women that I'm attractive :rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
lol ! ... well I do feel myself fine in that women sector :p:p hehe

but you know ... feeling also confident in the bikes-with-high-seat-height sector would be great too ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am looking at possibly buying a Thruxton also. Thanks to my parents I am vertically challenged as well at only 5'-6" tall so the height of the bike is an issue for me too. My local dealer did some research and found that by using the Progressive 430 shocks, changing the seat to a Mustang seat, using the Progressive front spring lowering kit he could get the bike down 1.75". My heels are still off of the ground by about 1" but I am much more comfortable sitting on it this way. If I take that Mustang seat to a local upholsterer, they can shave the seat foam a little more and take away some of the width as well. This all helps to get me down closer to the ground.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts