Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post in this very interesting and informative forum. So here comes my golden question ...

Yes, I did alot of research and alot of searching in this forum, therefore I did do my best in order to refrain posting a possible "repetitive" question, but still I cannot find the "perfect" answer.

I am a short person, and not keeping my feet flat on the ground when coming to a halt, really does nerve me, therefore I want to lower my thruxton. Quick searches narrowed down to the very good shocks from Progressive Suspension, which when using their tool "What fits my ride" gave me the results of 412 and 970 models with the 970-1008 giving me the lowest option, but only by just lowering 0.75"

Keeping in mind that the 970-1008 specs are as follows ...

13.60" ext. length 11.03" comp. length 2.57" travel

Now the question is : what is wrong, or rather, what is the impact that will keep me from fitting the 970-1005 ? Specs as follows ...

12.00" ext. length 9.60" comp. length 2.40" travel

To note that I've fitted the British Customs Fender Eliminator Kit

Any other suggestions are very very welcomed by me being on the noob side in this sector :)

thanks very much in advance !

·
Registered
959 Posts
Bonnie length shocks and raise the forks in the triple an equal amount. Easiest way to do it.

...or get a lower seat.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
PM steventhechef, his wife's Thrux is really low (and looks awesome!) He could probably give you some great pointers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes I read that bonnie's shocks can lower effectively, i just mentioned progressive suspension since they offer higher quality shocks (not to mention ohlins too). Will then check bonnie's shocks exact specs so I can match.

I will pm steventhechef asap then :) the more info the merrier ... i just wish to know what is the lowest I can go (yes I know that it will effect the bike performance, but first priority is riding confidence in my opinion)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BirdoPrey ... that is a highly informative link of yours ... thanks very much ... I will be studying it very very hard :)

in the meantime ... just one question ... how did you determine the least height you can go for the suspensions? I mean - how did you find the lowering "limit" ?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Thanks for the accolades guys :eek:

Leonie's Thruxton is really lowered and I used the Bonnie YSS gas rear shocks (but you don't have to go that expensive route) and I lowered the forks through the triple tree and put the clips on on above the clamp.

She is only 5'2" (one and three quarters really, but who is counting).

I have Gazi gas shocks on mine and they are height adjustable as well. http://www.gazisuspension.com/dealers.html They will change the height about 30mm. I have these ones http://www.gazisuspension.com/shock-absorbers/hyper-x-400300-1

The Gazis are great IMO

Hope this helps

·
Registered
720 Posts
<in the meantime ... just one question ... how did you determine the least height you can go for the suspensions? I mean - how did you find the lowering "limit" ?>

Actually it was a shot in the dark, call it the "swag" method. For me I think that this is about the limit (330 mm). The side stand still works (but I need a block of wood to use the center stand) and the pegs only drag on occasion (keep in mind that if you really intend to ride aggressively then keep the stock height, you will need the clearance. Tweety, my track bike, is stock height and I am constantly dragging the pegs and my boots. However, as I learn to ride better that stops for a while. But, as I go faster it starts up again until I improve my body position to match my increased speed).

One last thing that I noticed. While crossing a speed hump in a parking lot I rolled over it with the front tire only to have the bike come down on the oil filter as I straddled it. Felt like I was driving a low rider.

Art.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent !!! And ohhhh myyyy how cool it is :)

Can't wait to check and scribble a new project for my thruxton :) :)

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
When I lowered the black Thruxton I knew that I could easily go down at the rear end to the Bonnie height. The front is a bit harder to judge. I lowered the forks through the triple tree about an inch / 25mm and when I brake really hard the R/R hits the fork brace.

Leonie is 50 kg lighter than I am and would never need to brake as hard as I do so it is not an issue.

I have Matris front springs and cartridges in though for my weight. They are excellent and just across the pond from you in Italy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more info to scribble my end! :)

at least now the shocks' dilemma is getting much clearer now :)

when you mentioned the Gazi suspensions are height adjustable, do you mean that you can vary the height (in the 30 mm range) whenever you like after installed on the bike ? ("dohhh that's what height adjustable means" I imagine you telling me)

In that case I try to check whether there are other brands having these kind of shocks (since Gazi look like Australian based and I can imagine pricey shipping charges)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
FWIW I've lowered my Bonnie in the back with 310mm Hagon shocks. That's 30mm lower than a stock Bonnie, 50mm (I believe) lower than a stock Thrux. In the front I've stacked 25mm top out springs on top of the stock ones, and raised the forks another 5 mm in the tree. Now, I've maintained the original stance, just 1.2" lower. I love it. I agree with OP, that sure-footed operation is of paramount importance. I dropped my bike twice before (only once damaging anything. Had to buff the scratches out of my 2 week old Sleepers). Now, I've not dropped it since. And with valves in the forks, it handles and rides like a dream.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
when you mentioned the Gazi suspensions are height adjustable, do you mean that you can vary the height (in the 30 mm range) whenever you like after installed on the bike ? ("dohhh that's what height adjustable means" I imagine you telling me)
Correct, but I haven't had need to adjust it once it was set up

In that case I try to check whether there are other brands having these kind of shocks (since Gazi look like Australian based and I can imagine pricey shipping charges)
They are in the US too but I do not know about shipping $ to Malta. I don't know of other brands that have that feature.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I loooove the looks of those Gazi's, but I just can't rationalize (well, my wallet can't) the money, even though they're more fairly priced than other comparable ones. I want some piggy backs bad. Especially now that the identity of my Bonnie isn't looking so, well, Bonnie-ish any more.

For us light riders, I wonder if the benefits are felt as much as a heavier rider who can use the tunability? I never have gotten a definitive answer on that one.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
For us light riders, I wonder if the benefits are felt as much as a heavier rider who can use the tunability?
Absolutely. The same for very heavy riders like yours truly (300+lbs). By definition, "adjustability" is a Feature with Advantages & Benefits (FAB... threw that in for all you sales trainers out there :D).

Basically, you've got the weight of the 'sprung' motorcycle with rider, passenger & gear if applicable, bobbing up & down the road as you ride. The front may... or may not... be in-sync (or in phase if you prefer) with the rear. Or in other words, the bike is bobbing up & down and back & forth. The obvious goal is to get a balance between 'up & down' and 'back & forth'.

I feel myself drifting into a late night diatribe, so I'll cut to the quick.

The Gazi Hyper-X and YSS RG362TRCL give you all the adjustability a road rider could ever ask for. And even if you ultimately end up with a set-and-forget setting, the experience one can gain just by playing with the settings is well worth the investment. Plus they peg the boy racer cool meter. ;)

Any more on contact patches, pitch sensitivity, sag & squat... I'm too tired to make a joke... I'll have to get back to you later.

/M

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm reading about the Hyper X in Gazi's site - trying to figure out what's the difference between those 8 styles mentioned there ... i assume lengths etc etc but can't find the exact measurements anywhere yet .... another thing is that they're "bright" colored :( progressive's are darker colored which i prefer i think ... research research and more research !

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
The Gazi Hyper-X and YSS RG362TRCL give you all the adjustability a road rider could ever ask for.
Once you try them (and get them dialled in right) you'll never go back to standard shocks.

That said my wife is 50kg and I am 95kg and I hate riding Leonie's Thruxton because of the suspension settings. It flounces all over the place and wallows because of the different weight setting and variances.

That said - on mine I can take an undulating sweeper at 140kph and it is rock solid all the way through. I have invested over $1500 into suspension, so it should.

It is my priority in riding style though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve :) ... any idea where I can get all the specs of all the nine models (listed as styles in the website) of the Gazi Hyper-X ? (because I cannot find them anywhere there)

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Email [email protected] and ask them directly about the types and models available alternatively you could contact and ask Ozzy at http://www.ozracing.biz/

He is a great guy with excellent set up knowledge of suspension. A little slow on emails but knows his stuff inside and out.

Remember though, you don't have to pay a fortune for your suspension. It is your riding style (and pace) that will direct you to how much you need (and want)to spend on them. I bought the YSS shocks on EBay for $285 AUD (close to US). They retail for over $1300 but I would NEVER have spent that much on them. My wife doesn't ride that hard but I knew that they were very good and the right size.

I knew they type and size (length) that I needed and I just waited for them to come up at some stage. I actually bought the shockers for my wife's birthday prior to buying her bike :) A bit funny I know

1 - 20 of 35 Posts