Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tippytoe this bike, and I’m strongly considering lowering it, possibly with the Lust Racing kit. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the tip about Lust Racing's kit. I may have to consider using it if my suspension doesn't settle about another 20mm.
The Tiger is okay on the balls of my feet unloaded but trying to hold it with a pillion and luggage may be a bit of a challenge

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tippytoe this bike, and I’m strongly considering lowering it, possibly with the Lust Racing kit. Anyone done this?
Just picked up my 1200 XRx, too tall after riding 300+ miles, I won't be taking this bike off-road. I have contacted my dealer -- Triumph Albuquerque, great folks -- to see what he suggests. Stay tuned.

I would have gotten the XRx low model, they did not have one in stock. I don't know how different the suspension is (the WP suspension was one of the deciding factors in getting the 1200 vs 800).

I am concerned about just scooting the forks in the tube, not sure how much clearance there is before the wheel hits the bike (or whatever).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used lust racing 40mm lowering kit which was installed after being purchased through the locals Triumph dealer and I am very happy with the result. I also has bought the Triumph low seat which I have set on the higher of the two settings so my knees are less flexed. At 5 ft 6in (169cm) it’s now perfect and handles well also

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used lust racing 40mm lowering kit which was installed after being purchased through the locals Triumph dealer and I am very happy with the result. I also has bought the Triumph low seat which I have set on the higher of the two settings so my knees are less flexed. At 5 ft 6in (169cm) it’s now perfect and handles well also
Yes, thanks, I did find that kit.

What did you do re the forks? Slide them down? I measured, not sure if the front wheel might hit.

I have TSAS, so the auto-adjusting needs to still work. I was not sure if shorter springs front and back would resolve that.

Still waiting on reply from my dealer, he's got the service mgr looking at this. There's nothing openly available, not even WP (manufacturer of forks and shock) has parts identified as for the Tiger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Lust Racing kit includes a strut to replace the original one which insures the TSAS is unaffected. It attached to the front of the swing arm on the right side of the bike. The instructions also advise the distance the triple clamps get slid down the fork legs to maintain the performance and handling, and this does not affect front wheel clearance, etc. I feared the centre stand would be unusable because the weight of the bike was lower but it is okay. Also the side stand didn’t need to be shortened, even with the 40mm lowering kit. All good👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can buy the kit direct from Lust racing but the local dealer wouldn’t install it as a part they hadn’t sourced. Just make sure you select international delivery option on the website. I actually phoned them and confirmed all of the above before asking the Triumph Dealer to order it and it was delivered two weeks later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, thanks, I did find that kit.

What did you do re the forks? Slide them down? I measured, not sure if the front wheel might hit.

I have TSAS, so the auto-adjusting needs to still work. I was not sure if shorter springs front and back would resolve that.

Still waiting on reply from my dealer, he's got the service mgr looking at this. There's nothing openly available, not even WP (manufacturer of forks and shock) has parts identified as for the Tiger.
Don't know if you tried this, but it is simple and you can avoid lowering your bike and improve confidence on stops. Having ridden high (35") dirt bikes with only a 30" inseam, I rarely ever put 2-feet down on dirt or paved, unless I feel the bike moving to the "wrong" side in spite of my efforts. Then I just re-adjust and "dab" the right toe.

If you slide your body on the seat slightly to the left as you are stopping and just tap the handlebar to the right (push slightly with the left hand away from the direction you want it to fall), the bike gently tips left every time (keep your head up). If 2-up, ask your passenger to lean slightly left on stops. You can then flat foot your left foot and stop, right foot on brake. I do this with my 800 lb touring bike as well and my Tiger, with just normal touring boots. I'd rather keep the bike set-up with extra fork travel/clearance to see traffic and deal with the road versus lowering. Of course, we all have to pay attention to the ground composition, but even if you put two feet down and one foot slides out, its usually because the bike is falling to that side and recovery may still not be possible (but that's why God gave us engine and frame guards). Give it a shot.

Hope this thought helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fitted a Lust 40mm lowering kit this week, raised forks 12mm as advised and have test ridden today. I'm 5'8 and hurt my back recently so struggled tip toeing and maneuvering with my XCA which I bought new a year or so ago. The kit is easy to install if you have tools and some savvy- it took about an hour with fork adjustment (using a jack) and I had to remove the exhaust to get the linkage bolts out, you may also need a thin 10mm open spanner to tighten the replacement TSAS strut and a torque wrench to tighten it all back up again. I didn't want to buy a different bike as I love this one and this kit has really made my bike easier to live with in all respects and there are no notable handling issues. I have ordered an XCX low side stand and spring but the original one works fine on level ground, the centre stand is difficult but usable and I rarely use it anyhow. I really recommend the product and installing one if you find your Tiger too tall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts