Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I LOVE my 2007 Sprint ST but need the bike lowered about an inch. I already had the seat foam cut down and the dealer reversed a part in the rear. Is there a lowering link or shock to lower the bike? Please give me some suggestions.....
:motorbike:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I'm guessing that the dealer rotated the rear axle eccentric. That is usually good for almost one inch. Don't know how much you had the seat shaved, but there is only so much that you can do. You did not mention narrowing the seat specifically. It doesn't do any lowering but it makes it easier to get more of a foot plant on the ground.

Another option is the kit from Wildhair.
http://www.whaccessories.com/LoweringKits.htm

I have not personally seen that product but the pictures seem to show some quality pieces.

Did the dealer drop the front of the bike to match the rear drop, and shorten the stands?

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum here at TriumphRat.net SUEZQ:)

I would like to ask you as we do with every new member could you please take time to read our forum stickies just to get an idea of how we do things here?

No you have not done anything wrong we just ask every one to do it:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Thanks for the good deed, iceman. I've made that error before but thought I caught it last night. Obviously I did not.

Hard to keep the lap top balanced on my walker. :eek: I think the spinning and stopping hard drive is sloshing me around a bit. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you

Guys....
Thank you all for your replies....
I believe the dealer did rotate the rear axle eccentric but I'm not sure if they did anything with the front end.
Also, the seat was shaved for height and alittle on the sides. It looks like the pan is wider than the seat so I don't think I can get any more out of it.
I have emailed WH Accessories to see if they make anything for my 2007 Sprint ST 1050. I'm awaiting their reply.. hopefully Monday.

Has anyone purchased a lowering kit from WH Accessories for a 2007 Sprint ST 1050?

How about a new shorter shock?

I appreciate your support!!!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I think a shorter shock could help....but as has been asked, if you are only "messing around" with the back of the Bike, don't forget to lower the front, a little ,too...or you will end up ruining the steering geometry.

IE if the back end is very low and front is almost normal your sweet steering Sprint ST will start to resemble a chopper, in the turns........

It may even be a lot harder to get it to 'drop into' a turn initially........

and don't forget, it will eventually impede on the centrestand and sidestand angle/ stability.........

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased lowering link....

Guys....
Thank you all for your replies....
I believe the dealer did rotate the rear axle eccentric but I'm not sure if they did anything with the front end.
Also, the seat was shaved for height and alittle on the sides. It looks like the pan is wider than the seat so I don't think I can get any more out of it.
I have emailed WH Accessories to see if they make anything for my 2007 Sprint ST 1050. I'm awaiting their reply.. hopefully Monday.

Has anyone purchased a lowering kit from WH Accessories for a 2007 Sprint ST 1050?

How about a new shorter shock?

I appreciate your support!!!
:thumbsup:
from streetfighters (believe same co as WH), lowered bike close to two inches, very happy with it!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just a few questions?

How many miles are on the bike? Because after about 7,000 miles the shocks will soften some and will sag the bike, (about 1/2 in or so) If you need more strap the bike down, Like you are going to hall it in the back of the truck. Ratchet the bike down and let it sit over night (that will give you some wiggle room on it also.

Not knowing how much you lowering you need, you could try this before you buy anything.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
SZQ:

Your questions about lowering the ST are outside my knowledge base, however, you'll certainly find this forum to be an excellent resource. Dave Quinn in Bethany, CT is a very well known dealer for the Hagon brand of shocks and may be a good person to contact in regards to suspension issues:

http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

denoose

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
A friend of mine is all of 5'4". He had an inch added to his boots by a bespoke boot maker - colour matched etc. Gives him that extra inch..

I have no shame in getting off to park - I'm 5'7" in the morning, 5'6.1" by night fall. It's a lot easier to push/pull the bike whilst off it than paddling away and loosing grip on gravel etc. And Don't park down hill or on steep camber.. :p

I considered the lowering option but in the end didn't. A fully loaded Sprint with luggage and petrol is quite a lump, but I have yet to have a problem..

·
Registered
95 Posts
10mm lower shock

I had Rad shocks lower the standard shock 10mm, cost $80 and it dropped the bike down about 40mm more . I scraped my boot on a corner for the first time , so there are some drawbacks from having a low sprint.

ST Rider

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cummulative effect?

:motorbike:My rear eccentric has been reversed, my 07 Sprint has over 7000 miles and the set has been narrowed and shaved down but
I need alittle more lowering.
So, WH Accessories has the lowering link (Thanks to OLDNDUMB) and my dealer feels comfortable installing it and bringing up the forks about an inch. The custom shock is more expensive.
Because I gained about an inch from the real eccentric, will
I also benefit from the lowering link to bring the bike down another 1.3" to get the cummulative effect?
If yes, I'm ready to buy the part and get the work done.. but was wondering if anyone had an opinion or experience with this?

Thanks = gorgeous riding day today in CT......91 degrees

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are drawbacks to your mods

Remember the further you deviate from the standard geometry of the bike the worse it is going to handle.

My order of preference for lowering a Sprint is this:
1.Trim the seat (no impact on suspension but probably get a sore butt because of the soft seat foam)
2. Reverse the eccentric (less cornering clearance and larger rake angle)
3. Drop the forks about 10mm (less cornering clearance again and but rake angle of forks closer to stock). Lowering any further will result in your mudguards hitting something probably the horn or lower triple clamps.

If you can live with these mods don't do anymore. The bike will still handle reasonably well with these mods.

If it is still too tall for you, buy another bike with a lower seat height because you will turn a sweet handling bike into a pig that is only good for straight roads.:eek:

I know that may sound harsh but there is a point where the lowering obsession will compromise the handling too much as ST Rider has pointed out below.

Further mods like lowering links will reduce cornering clearance a ridiculous amount and soften up the rear end to a point where it may bottom out too easy because of the change in linkage ratios. It will also slow the steering because it increases the rake angle.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
1.Trim the seat (no impact on suspension but probably get a sore butt because of the soft seat foam)

Not necessarily so as evidenced by the fact that several members have done this and have not reported any cases of sore butt. Of course, that could be relative to one's butt sensitivity. Shaving MC seats has been done extensively for a long time with many brands.

2. Reverse the eccentric (less cornering clearance and larger rake angle)

I am not aware of anyone ever advocating dropping the bike at the rear, and then not matching the drop at the front. Speaking for myself, I always try to stress that the front needs to be lowered the same amount as the rear to restore the factory configuration. However I do wonder just how significant this is because I suspect there are a multitude of MC riders of all marques that take a pillion rider with no concern for the change of bike geometry?

As far as boot dragging goes, keep the balls of your feet on the pegs, and tuck the inner boot in tight when cornering. That should be the first step of your cornering set up. I know for a fact that this works on my lowered ST.

Some have expressed concern re parts scrapping. The first time I scraped the feelers, I stopped and removed them. Maybe someone knows a justification for them, but I found them unnecessary quite some time ago. If you are just riding around town, and insist on carrying that hunk of metal called a center stand with you at all times, it should not be a problem. If you do track days, it should be removed.

My ramblings on this subject are not something that I read in a book, a magazine, or heaven forbid, on the internet. It comes from actually riding a lowered Sprint. As evidence you can examine my rear tire and make your own determination. I know that some dislike tire pics, but they are definitive and do tell the tale. No part of my lowered ST scraped with the exception of the ends of the pegs....a non-event. I have been unable to get rid of the front strip but that was not because of a ground clearance concern, just my personal inability......code words for 'fear'. :D

BeadBreaker 034.jpg

BeadBreaker 044.jpg

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very impressive indeed OnD! You must be smoking out there on the tracks. I believe you said there is only one twisty road in all of Florida :)

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Twisty roads are indeed rare here :mad:, the pics were after a track day weekend:D.

The tires will always tell the tale, as you can see from the front ones. It would have been impressive if I had used them edge to edge, but I couldn't; I believe a better rider could have used all of the front tire without dragging parts.

I only included the pics to show that a lowered ST can use all of the rear tire with no problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Eccentric doesn't rotate all the way around

I tried rotating the eccentric hub on my 2008 ST. Seems to move to where the chain is either WAY too tight or all the way loose and then stop. Is there a trick to getting it to go the whole way around?

Thanks in advance. My knuckles are bleeding and I think I may have a few new words to add to the English language under "profanity"

·
Registered
999 Posts
I LOVE my 2007 Sprint ST but need the bike lowered about an inch. I already had the seat foam cut down and the dealer reversed a part in the rear. Is there a lowering link or shock to lower the bike? Please give me some suggestions.....
:motorbike:
Suezq,

Where in Ct are You?

I pretty much have the same issue with my 2009 ST. I had my seat reshaped which helped a bit but need to get it narrowed a bit?

Who is your Dealer?

This was not a problem on my previous 2001 ST.

Have a great Christman & New Years Holiday.

Regards,

Gerry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts