Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 speed triple. I need to lower it temporarily so that my son can become comfortable with it. He is new to riding and needs at least 1 1/2" lower. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
You could loosen up the triple clamps on the forks and slide them up a little bit to lower the front. And for the rear.... take off the shock and adjust the spring up the shock body more to lower the rear.

This would make any bike sit lower. however.... i wouldnt recomend learning on that setup. You will loose alot of rear suspension travel in the rear (wont have the correct race sag) and it'll change how your front end reacts as well (shorter wheel base)

best thing to do is to just tuff it out and ride it the way it is. once he;s moving his feet arnt on the ground anyways. Also, I would never let anyone learn to ride on a street bike..... see if you can borrow a buddies dirt bike. I can flog my CRF like a bad stepchild all day long without worry. plastic body parts are CHEAP to replace..... laying a sport bike on its side however.... is alot more $. Plus, in the dirt if he freezes and forgets what controls do what.... the only person he can hurt is himself.

just my opinion

[ This message was edited by: Drunktank on 2006-12-09 21:17 ]

·
Registered
187 Posts
if he is new to riding, i don't think a 1 liter brand new S3 is the way to go IMHO. Did he take the MSF course? Learn on a 500 or 600cc bike first and then move up to the S3. Otherwise invest in some frame sliders.

·
Registered
256 Posts
On 2006-12-09 21:23, MotoRaider wrote:
if he is new to riding, i don't think a 1 liter brand new S3 is the way to go IMHO. Did he take the MSF course? Learn on a 500 or 600cc bike first and then move up to the S3. Otherwise invest in some frame sliders.
+1

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
On 2006-12-09 21:23, MotoRaider wrote:
+1000 :( :hammer:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
+ a million. Motorcycles are designed a certain way for optimum performance, and altering the geometry is just asking for demonic handling issues. If you, I mean your son want's to learn how to ride, I recommend getting a smaller bike to start out on. :hammer:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dragon, this is NOT the bike to learn on, not even close. You are lookin to get hurt. Get him, or yourself, a small offroad bike to learn on. Take the msf course next summer, in Michigan it was only 25 bucks. Seriously, that will be a mistake.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
you can always trim the seat, or get a second seat and trim it.,
that to me would be the best method.

+1000 on getting him a predictable 4 stroke; or something similar. this s3 isn't the most refined bike in the world.
-b

·
Registered
106 Posts
Def. learn in the MSF first... but, after that I think the triple is fine to ride. It was my first bike outta the school. Some people thought that was a mistake BUT, I was would have regretted buying a smaller bike now that I am comfortable riding. Just take it easy on the throttle at first and don't push the limits.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Some are never happy! Let's keep the nakid look and retainj the double headlights. Without them the Triple is just another nakid and NOT the Icon we have come to love. Those who want a single headlight conversion -- Buy a Suzuki Bandit 1200/1250!

·
Registered
969 Posts
On 2006-12-10 14:49, teologie wrote:
Some are never happy! Let's keep the nakid look and retainj the double headlights. Without them the Triple is just another nakid and NOT the Icon we have come to love. Those who want a single headlight conversion -- Buy a Suzuki Bandit 1200/1250!
Huh? I think you've got the wrong thread.

I've been looking at an SV650 for my wife's first bike. I questioned it until I rode one, just right and you're son would grow into it for a couple of years.

·
Registered
29 Posts
To the numpty who posted this thread !

New Rider + New S3 = more $ than grey matter.

Your son will bin it. Get real. An S3 is no 'starter bike'.

Read Sv650,bandit 600, bmw 650.

The only 'help' you need is a brain transplant.

:( :( :( :hammer:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
On 2006-12-10 20:07, slippery wrote:

Don't beat around the bush, slippery. tell us what ya really think. :-D

·
Registered
591 Posts
On 2006-12-10 20:07, slippery wrote:

Wow man, that was kinda harsh.

I don't think accosting a grown man on how to teach his son something is the way to get the point accross. Give him the tech advice he wanted and maybe ADVISE him but don't treat him like he's stupid. Let him prove that if it's gonna happen.
Just my humble opinion..... Now, if you don't mind, there's a bottle of Jack Daniels with my name on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts